Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM Corsair Flaps Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM Corsair Flaps Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM Corsair Flaps Question

Hey Guys,
I am building an ESM Corsair (74 inch version) and just got finished gluing the flap sections in. Problem is they did not line up with the aileron so now I have about 3 degrees down flap on the outer most flap panel when they are retracted. I do not want to butcher the plane to re-set the flaps. I would think it would be more important to ensure the aileron sits well at neutral and just deal with a few degrees of down flap. Any Thoughts on if there will be any negative effects of this set up?

Thanks and Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 06-22-2013, 06:34 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: ESM Corsair Flaps Question

Should not be an issue. I have mine on a slider and with one click of down there is no noticeable change in the way the plane flys.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:16 PM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus 1,

as long as both right and left side flaps droop the same amount, 2-3 degrees even should be very negligible flight difference if any.

Whit

ORIGINAL: tevans55

Should not be an issue. I have mine on a slider and with one click of down there is no noticeable change in the way the plane flys.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:16 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loop
Just an FYI , Doug Scatterday from Robart has my 74" ESM wings . He is useing them to make eletric retracts for this bird .
If your interested email them as they are close to finsihing the R&D . There useing down and locked for power and robart scale design for the main body parts .
Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 AM
Loopman

LDM,
Thanks but I got a set of Sierra gear along with the plane when I bought it. I was thinking of getting the electric mods for them but I've already set them up as air, maybe later. It's a nice looking bird but setting up the three flaps has been a chore. I did decide to use sliders instead of the oem wire setup.

Happy Flying!
Loopman
Old 06-24-2013, 02:57 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads up ,
Are you adding scale details I am going to make a powered sliding canopy and adding an interior
Old 06-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Loopman

Hi LDM,
I'm not going to do too much. The "must do's" include guns and enhancing the inter-coolers on the wings and I did install a different tail wheel. That's about it for me, last time I went super scale the plane lasted all of 2 flights! That was a "Spektrum" issue, since I've switched to Futaba "FAAST" I've had no radio issues. The plane goes together pretty quickly but be careful with the flap install, it's very easy to get them out of alignment and once the epoxy sets, oh well! I actually think that a minute amount of flaps will make this plane a little more stable.

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 PM
RevGQ

I have a question concerning setting up the flap control rod. I made up a mock rod and it appears to be 65mm too long. The total length of that rod according to manual is 155mm (30mm from flap horn at a 155 deg. angle and 125mm back to the servo arm. How did you install that control rod and how in the world do you connect it to both the flap horn and servo arm? Thanks for any help you can offer. RevGQ.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:35 AM
skillet92

Originally Posted by RevGQ
I have a question concerning setting up the flap control rod. I made up a mock rod and it appears to be 65mm too long. The total length of that rod according to manual is 155mm (30mm from flap horn at a 155 deg. angle and 125mm back to the servo arm. How did you install that control rod and how in the world do you connect it to both the flap horn and servo arm? Thanks for any help you can offer. RevGQ.
The way that I did mine and I will add some pics tonight when I get home was to drill a hole straight back from the servo arm in the trailing edge. I took one of those gold eyelets that came with the kit and drilled a hole and screwed it into the inside flap so that it closed up in the hole I drilled. Remember to remove the eyelet and CA the new threads. Make a small arm to connect the servo arm and eyelet. I then mounted up the other 2 flaps and glued a rod into the outside of each flap so that it went into the next flap. the 2 inside flaps have a rod glued to them going into the next flap where it goes in is loose to allow movement. Getting the angles was my hardest part. I will post some pics tonight if you want. good luck
Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I did what skillet92 did, but I also had to add some of those little wood spacers under some of the hinges to get a great job if it lineing up,

I burnt up 2 Hitec Digital 5645 servos on these flaps getting them to have no load when in the up poshion.