Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Motor screeching noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:22 PM
cirec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor screeching noise

I have a SCTE with a Hobby King 150 amp ESC and a Novak Ballistic 4.5 turn motor. Sometimes there's screeching noise when I'm going off a jump and it will keep on screeching until I get off the throttle. I thought it was something in the diffs but one time while it was screeching I held the throttle, walked up to my truck, and saw that the motor wasn't moving. It makes the same noise when I blimp the throttle while I hold the truck off the ground. I took the motor away from the spur gear, pressed the throttle, and the motor sounds loud. Louder than a Castle motor I have. I'm wondering if the problem is from the motor.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:48 AM
DieHarder

Default RE: Motor screeching noise

It may internally be dirty, restricting the magnetic force from making contact shaft. Also, the bearings could be locked up. ALSO, as stupid as this question may sound, is it a brushless motor, or a brushed. I don't feel like researching it right now...
Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 AM
cirec

It's brushless. I thought something might have got in the motor since it has vents.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:43 PM
DieHarder

That would be my first thought. Maybe there's a wood chip or something in there that is resisting the shaft from spinning, but the coils are running against it, creating the screeching noise. I suggest you take it apart, and see what you can find.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:36 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the brushless motors today last soo much longer than the brushed we used to run, sometimes we forget that they still require some maintenance. Since you have to take it apart to clean it, go ahead and replace the bearings as well.

With most BL motors, one end has 3 or 4 tiny screws going threw the side and into the end. Remove those, and the end can come off. With that out, the rotor can be removed (I use pliers, as the magnetic field is strong)
Once out, I use a very soft cloth to remove dust/dirt from the coils. Make sure whatever you use does not catch on the wires. Then wipe down the rotor and replace the bearings. Re-assemble and it should be good as new.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:42 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AND WATCH OUT FOR ANY SHIMS ON THE ROTOR! don't loose them, and replace them in the order they came off.
In Fact, DON'T take them off. I use a small piece of tape on each end, once I carefully remove the rotor, so they won't fall off or get lost. It'd be a shame to toss a perfectly good motor for some miniscule parts you lost.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:34 PM
cirec

I took apart the motor and I saw nothing stuck in it. I cleaned it, put it back together, and I still have the problem. Now I'm wondering if it's my ESC that has a problem.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 AM
EXT2Rob

Do you have, or can you make, a tube?  The center from a paper towel roll would work.  With the body off, and the car on a stand, see if you can make the car make the sound.  Then, put the tube to one ear and put the other end near the motor, then near the ESC.  You should then be able to determine which one is making the noise.

Nothing in the motor, huh?  How about the motor bearings? Has the tranny been lubed?
Old 06-25-2013, 02:02 PM
DieHarder

Dang, never thought of that! It actually may be the motor bearings... Take them out, see how they spin, if their rusty or loud, replace them. See if that clears it up.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:44 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

the brushless motors today last soo much longer than the brushed we used to run, sometimes we forget that they still require some maintenance. Since you have to take it apart to clean it, go ahead and replace the bearings as well.

With most BL motors, one end has 3 or 4 tiny screws going threw the side and into the end. Remove those, and the end can come off. With that out, the rotor can be removed (I use pliers, as the magnetic field is strong)
Once out, I use a very soft cloth to remove dust/dirt from the coils. Make sure whatever you use does not catch on the wires. Then wipe down the rotor and replace the bearings. Re-assemble and it should be good as new.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:19 PM
EXT2Rob

Ha ha ha ha,,,,,,