Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Marvel Mystery Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 PM
JKinTX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Marvel Mystery Oil?

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Is it remotely possible for you more steadfast engine officianados to get off the fuel/oil war and get back to the topic? I mean... You guys are not leading by a good example as a group of highly experienced people. Ya'll act like old married couples that bicker nonstop.

It's like "Grumpy old Men" R/C style.

YOU don't have to read any of it do you? So that is your choice to involve yourself, no? This is cyberspace- the world of the future- learn to live in it.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:36 PM
jessiej

These fora contain dozens of threads on oils. They are all just alike. One would think that over time social skills and maturity levels would improve, but...

Jess
Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 PM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: jessiej

These fora contain dozens of threads on oils. They are all just alike. One would think that over time social skills and maturity levels would improve, but...

Jess
Yep! Right back at you chief.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:04 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both castor and synthetic sometimes generate more heat than light.

Jess

Yeah but castor won;t go thermo nuclear because just as the fission reaction starts it transforms into a solid that saves the world

Old 06-25-2013, 02:02 AM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Both castor and synthetic sometimes generate more heat than light.

Jess

Yeah but castor won;t go thermo nuclear because just as the fission reaction starts it transforms into a solid that saves the world

In 50+ years, I has seen so many engines done ruined on them bean oils that I is amazed the goobernment didn't already step in and ban 'em!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 AM
Turqui
My Feedback: (139)

Ok, i have used MMO for air tools but never heard of mixing with ATF for long storage;if that is better; wich ATF brand and type will ne the best for 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines. Please advise and the most detailed specific indormation about brand and type will be apreciated.
Regards.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: JKinTX

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Is it remotely possible for you more steadfast engine officianados to get off the fuel/oil war and get back to the topic? I mean... You guys are not leading by a good example as a group of highly experienced people. Ya'll act like old married couples that bicker nonstop.

It's like ''Grumpy old Men'' R/C style.

YOU don't have to read any of it do you? So that is your choice to involve yourself, no? This is cyberspace- the world of the future- learn to live in it.
No, I don't have to read it... But it just gets old after awhile. No need to get on my case though, I like to think we're all mostly here for the same reasons. Maybe to learn something, not bicker like children. I guess I'm just that far off-base.

I can only imagine what a new modeler would think if they asked the same questions and got 6 pages worth of bickering and childish BS and half a page of intelligent responses. Maybe that's why so many people are starting with and staying with electric power. [:@]. Oh well, ya can't win 'em all.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:17 AM
jessiej

I suppose it is good that older men are still capable of such passion. I would be more encouraged, however if the passion were directed toward women rather than some greasy stuff run through a toy ailanthus.

Jess
Old 06-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Does 71 count, I still choose a woman over MMO every time.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

I should have said they havent' change much. The synthetics are various water soluble PAG oils such as UCON. And only the formulations and viscosities have changed. We do not use the increasing number of other synthetics because they will not mix with alcohol.

Even thos have changed. PAG's are not a specific molecule but a family of molecules. Positioning the Alkylated groups plays a BIG part in the performance of the molecules.

Have a look at Dow's UCON pages. There's a huge variety of UCON fluids available - some are actually water soluble, some aren't (the LB series which are the ones used as the base stock for the synthetic "oils" we use are not). The thing is, pretty much all of these were available decades ago (especially the LB series). LB-625 is the one you hear about most often when reading old racing newsletters, and I suspect it's what is in most glow fuel "synthetic oils", including Klotz. There are others in the series, with higher and lower viscosities - want something with very low viscosity? Try, maybe, LB-65 (the least viscous of the bunch). Or if you want something really thick, get some LB-1715. (The problem is shaking some loose from Dow.. they probably want you to buy several 55 gallon drums before they'd talk to you.)

Again, the point is, all of these have been available for decades. I wouldn't be surprised if the LB fluids were the ones used in the wartime US Army trials.

http://www.dow.com/ucon/

Iskandar
Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: [Deleted]

Good morning. There's some posts that are now gone forever. I may get some heat from the purists but I left in some of the posts with humor and common sense statements about how to act. I'm not sending out that many personal PMs for each deleted message. Some of you guys did a great job moderating things while the staff was asleep last night. I have a couple of friends who say that their wives love it when they spend all day at the flying field. I used to wonder why. Can you imagine what a scene it would be if we were to all get together in my/your/his shop to talk about oil?!?

Now, I see that the AMA banned alcohol at the flying field to protect us from ourselves, not model airplanes.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 AM
iskandar taib

ORIGINAL: blw

To be honest, a lot of the castor horror pictures make think of it being from too much castor, and of those engines that are tuned only by making sure they leave a big smoke trail. Guaranteed that if you see a Saito running with much smoke it is tuned far too rich, yet you see them run that way all the time.
You know, when I see burned-on varnish like that, it makes me think of those times I've had a lean run and the engine comes down smoking. That's what it looks like - overheating. Not being run too rich.

On the other hand, when I see the plane covered with a thick layer of slime...

Iskandar
Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 AM
iskandar taib

ORIGINAL: Turqui

Ok, i have used MMO for air tools but never heard of mixing with ATF for long storage;if that is better; wich ATF brand and type will ne the best for 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines. Please advise and the most detailed specific indormation about brand and type will be apreciated.
Regards.
Yeah.. Type F, Dexron or Mercon??? What about them "friction modifiers"?

Funny, all these years I thought it was DexTron!!!!

Iskandar
Old 06-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Hobbsy

Default RE: [Deleted]

Barry, what went on here is almost mild compared to the knock down drag out wars over oil on the HD Sportster Fora. Synthetic goes through my 1200 like soup through a parched camel. I run RevTech dino oil and it doesn't use a drop of it. I'm still convinced that the Marvel Mystery stuff is a poor choice based solely on me experience. Currently I'm using NAPA power steering fluid, I've used it on the fourstroke rocker pivots for a long time. The stuff has staying power.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: iskandar taib

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

I should have said they havent' change much. The synthetics are various water soluble PAG oils such as UCON. And only the formulations and viscositieshave changed. We do not use the increasing number of other synthetics because they will not mix with alcohol.

Even thos have changed. PAG's are not a specific molecule but a family of molecules. Positioning the Alkylated groups plays a BIG part in the performance of the molecules.

Have a look at Dow's UCON pages. There's a huge variety of UCON fluids available - some are actually water soluble, some aren't (the LB series which are the ones used as the base stock for the synthetic "oils" we use are not). The thing is, pretty much all of these were available decades ago (especially the LB series). LB-625 is the one you hear about most often when reading old racing newsletters, and I suspect it's what is in most glow fuel "synthetic oils", including Klotz. There are others in the series, with higher and lower viscosities - want something with very low viscosity? Try, maybe, LB-65 (the least viscous of the bunch). Or if you want something really thick, get some LB-1715. (The problem is shaking some loose from Dow.. they probably want you to buy several 55 gallon drums before they'd talk to you.)

Again, the point is, all of these have been available for decades. I wouldn't be surprised if the LB fluids were the ones used in the wartime US Army trials.

http://www.dow.com/ucon/

Iskandar

Indeed they have ben around and have been costantly tweaked

Old 06-25-2013, 12:57 PM
jessiej

After decades of effort I have never been able to replicate the ill effects some report from castor. Perhaps I will try said ink next.

BTW, on the various reloading fora shooters seem to be able to discuss the merits of various primers, powders, equipment, etc. in a dignified manner. I suppose an armed society is indeed a polite society.

Jess
Old 06-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Hobbsy

I've never been able to get castor to mess up anything except a muffler or two and they can be sealed to stop that.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:52 PM
bw5493
My Feedback: (36)

Too funny how folks can get BS info and run with it. I have been running the same Rossi .40's and .60's for going on 30 yrs now. Like Clarence stated yrs ago, I have never seen an engine die from to much lube, but too little and they are gunners in short order. I run. Sig champion fuel, which is 20% oil mixed 50/50 with castor and synthetic. Most of the fuels out there are down to 17% oil, and I sure wouldn't run that! My Rossi s all are still running! I switched to castor in my gas engines in the 80's running dirt bikes, when Kawasaki's were eating chrome off the cylinders, running Klotz beNol castor, I never had an issue . I run it today in my lawn equipment, and my gasses. G62, first place 52cc and 95cc, and now my Dle 111 all on 100ll aviation fuel with 32/1 BeNol. I have no problems at all, and I. Don't use after run oil in anything. I do run out the fuel at the end of the day. All my engines are still alive, even a YS. Sure RC cars run 20,000 rims on 12% synthetic oil, I have yet to see a 30 year old one though

So say what you will, I simply go with what works, and have no issues.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Has anyone ever tried Lucas Air Tool lubricant to free up / lube their engines? Everything on the label says the right things. I just got a never run OS 50 FSR that's been sitting for some time and am trying Lucas out.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

This discussion was nothing. For a real crotch-kicking, bone-breaking, spitting, cussing, fight to the end, go to bikeforums.com and ask about the merits of wax versus oil for the lubrication of bicycle chains.

Edit: Make that bikeforums.net.