Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

New Fox engines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Fox engines?

In a earlier post someone made a remark that Fox didn't make ABC engines. That was rebutted by several posters who cited smaller Fox engines. It happens that I still have a Eagle
IV .60 ABC that I planned to use for warbird racing. I ran it on the bench with 20% nitro, down to 5% nitro. It wasn't very nitro sensitive. It was apparent that what the engine needed for airplane speed was high-pitch props; it had loads of torque. Unfortunately, the model didn't accelerate well with all that pitch. I still have the engine if anyone wants proof.

CR
Old 06-23-2013, 05:42 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 11/7 was a prop of choice for 60's in the 60/70 era. Pattern was fast at the time and before turn around there was no real slow down. I often wondered about the engine reviews if they used a flywheel or a toothpick to get those unrealistic readings.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:43 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: dennis

Isky,

Missile Mist is 17% oil. You well know that if you want to go faster then lower the oil content and up the nitro. By the time you made all of the mods to the 15X you had a Fox 15XX. The 15XXX is the combat version and I had heard that only about 100 or so were made and they didn't last too long. Pristine example also from what I read can command about $1k or better.
Buy a ST34CL it will out run the 36X unless you have a really reworked version
That's interesting! I wonder how many variations of the baffle piston .15 were produced by the factory. Did they all have the slant plug? I'm wondering now what the .15 Stunt was - the hobby shop (in the middle of Kuala Lumpur, in the early 70s) had lots and lots of old stuff behind the counter - a single-channel pushbutton radio, rubber escapements, some Merco engines, and about a half dozen of the .15 Stunts new in boxes. Probably hadn't moved in 10 years!

Yeah, there are lots of modern engines that would outperform the .36X, but I'd like to run mine in a period-appropriate model just to see what it was like to fly them.

Iskandar
Old 06-23-2013, 06:54 PM
iskandar taib

ORIGINAL: jessiej
Actually the fox .35 dominated US Stunt competition for over a decade. The Fox .35 supremacy ended only with the growth in popularity of larger models and engines. (The .45 powered ''Shark'' comes to mind as an early example of the trend).
Yeah, I know, but I wasn't looking for a stunt engine. I was building a Rich Lopez Firefly (.15 combat) at the time. Of course, ST G15s were beyond my price range, even if I could find one. I ended up with a used OS Max .15 III.

The easy way to break in a new Fox was to put it in a model and fly it at a rich 4 cycle doing long horizontal eights to cause it to break briefly into a two cycle. A few flights like that and your new fox was ready to bolt into a Thunderbird, Nobler, or Ares. And go win the Nationals.

Likewise with the Combat specials your greatest obstacle to the championship was Riley Wooten.
Heh heh.. that was true. Way before my time, though. Riley was still attending the occasional Nats and other contests into the late 90s, though he never flew. That reminds me - I've yet to draw up plans for the Vampire, I've got some photos of the parts.

About breaking in .35 Stunts - well, a friend got the control line craze briefly maybe 6 years ago. Went down to Singapore, bought several things, among them a .35 Stunt and a Bi-Slob ARF. We mixed up fuel for the .35 stunt by adding enough castor to Cool Power to give 28% oil, and then he proceeded to break it in. He immediately started complaining about the oil everywhere. When we started flying the Slob, he was even more amazed at the oil. It was all over the top of the lower wing and the bottom of the upper wing (i.e. the least convenient places), the side of the fuselage, under the fuselage, on the tail, all over the LANDING GEAR for goodness sakes - and it wasn't just a thin film, it was a thick coating of slime. He was used to bringing toilet paper to the field to clean models, hadn't figured out kitchen towels yet. The toilet paper would fall apart when you tried to wipe the castor off. It wasn't very long after that when he started posting questions on Stuka Stunt about electric CL. I think he's completely turned off to glow engines these days, only flies electrics.

Iskandar
Old 06-24-2013, 03:29 AM
earlwb

They discussed the little Fox .15 stunt engines back in this thread a number of years ago.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8818942

Fox first started making the .15's in 1958 and kept making them up to today. The baffled .15 was still being made and sold alongside the Schnuerle .15 to around 1985 to 87 or thereabouts. The 1958 version had a finned steel cylinder, later he went with a steel insert sleeve and it stayed that way forever since. He made numerous variations of them as the molds would wear out and he would make new molds with incremental improvements. besides the .15 engines there were RC versions and the .15X and .15XX versions and variations too. The later versions had a provision for a muffler but the earlier versions had no provisions for a muffler. Anyway Fox numerous varieties of the little .15 engines.

Yeah glow engines can be quite messy. it seems nowadays a lot of people want to go electric as they glow engines are too messy for them. Since I grew up with glow engines, I am used to it and it doesn't bother me any.

They have a nice history article detailing the different Fox Combat engines here: http://www.clcombat.info/foxhistory.html

I have a old thread going on about .15 engines here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...tm.htm#9692294

Old 06-24-2013, 04:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: iskandar taib

ORIGINAL: jessiej
Actually the fox .35 dominated US Stunt competition for over a decade. The Fox .35 supremacy ended only with the growth in popularity of larger models and engines. (The .45 powered ''Shark'' comes to mind as an early example of the trend).
Yeah, I know, but I wasn't looking for a stunt engine. I was building a Rich Lopez Firefly (.15 combat) at the time. Of course, ST G15s were beyond my price range, even if I could find one. I ended up with a used OS Max .15 III.

The easy way to break in a new Fox was to put it in a model and fly it at a rich 4 cycle doing long horizontal eights to cause it to break briefly into a two cycle. A few flights like that and your new fox was ready to bolt into a Thunderbird, Nobler, or Ares. And go win the Nationals.

Likewise with the Combat specials your greatest obstacle to the championship was Riley Wooten.
Heh heh.. that was true. Way before my time, though. Riley was still attending the occasional Nats and other contests into the late 90s, though he never flew. That reminds me - I've yet to draw up plans for the Vampire, I've got some photos of the parts.

About breaking in .35 Stunts - well, a friend got the control line craze briefly maybe 6 years ago. Went down to Singapore, bought several things, among them a .35 Stunt and a Bi-Slob ARF. We mixed up fuel for the .35 stunt by adding enough castor to Cool Power to give 28% oil, and then he proceeded to break it in. He immediately started complaining about the oil everywhere. When we started flying the Slob, he was even more amazed at the oil. It was all over the top of the lower wing and the bottom of the upper wing (i.e. the least convenient places), the side of the fuselage, under the fuselage, on the tail, all over the LANDING GEAR for goodness sakes - and it wasn't just a thin film, it was a thick coating of slime. He was used to bringing toilet paper to the field to clean models, hadn't figured out kitchen towels yet. The toilet paper would fall apart when you tried to wipe the castor off. It wasn't very long after that when he started posting questions on Stuka Stunt about electric CL. I think he's completely turned off to glow engines these days, only flies electrics.

Iskandar
With the short venturi the Stunt sprays fuel everywhere and with 29% oil it is a lot. You can strap a bit of tubing on the venture to create a velocity stack which will greatly reduce the amount of oil on the plane.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:15 AM
jessiej

As some of my other hobbies entail field-dressing game animals and gutting fish I never considered wiping off a bit of oil as much of a chore.

Jess
Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 AM
iskandar taib

ORIGINAL: earlwb

They discussed the little Fox .15 stunt engines back in this thread a number of years ago.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8818942

Fox first started making the .15's in 1958 and kept making them up to today. The baffled .15 was still being made and sold alongside the Schnuerle .15 to around 1985 to 87 or thereabouts. The 1958 version had a finned steel cylinder, later he went with a steel insert sleeve and it stayed that way forever since. He made numerous variations of them as the molds would wear out and he would make new molds with incremental improvements. besides the .15 engines there were RC versions and the .15X and .15XX versions and variations too. The later versions had a provision for a muffler but the earlier versions had no provisions for a muffler. Anyway Fox numerous varieties of the little .15 engines.

Yeah glow engines can be quite messy. it seems nowadays a lot of people want to go electric as they glow engines are too messy for them. Since I grew up with glow engines, I am used to it and it doesn't bother me any.

They have a nice history article detailing the different Fox Combat engines here: http://www.clcombat.info/foxhistory.html

I have a old thread going on about .15 engines here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...tm.htm#9692294
Thanks for the links to the earlier threads. Lots of very interesting photos. That .15 Schnuerle ad actually mentions that it came in both plain and 2BB versions. If the Schnuerle first came out in 1976, that was the same year the Mark III Combat Special came out, and both had the "tall back door".

I'm used to the oil, but my friend wasn't. He'd flown a lot of RC before that, there was SOME oil but nowhere near that much! The 28% oil had a lot to do with it, BiSlob type flying probably did as well.

Iskandar

Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: iskandar taib

ORIGINAL: dennis

Isky,

Missile Mist is 17% oil. You well know that if you want to go faster then lower the oil content and up the nitro. By the time you made all of the mods to the 15X you had a Fox 15XX. The 15XXX is the combat version and I had heard that only about 100 or so were made and they didn't last too long. Pristine example also from what I read can command about $1k or better.
Buy a ST34CL it will out run the 36X unless you have a really reworked version
That's interesting! I wonder how many variations of the baffle piston .15 were produced by the factory. Did they all have the slant plug? I'm wondering now what the .15 Stunt was - the hobby shop (in the middle of Kuala Lumpur, in the early 70s) had lots and lots of old stuff behind the counter - a single-channel pushbutton radio, rubber escapements, some Merco engines, and about a half dozen of the .15 Stunts new in boxes. Probably hadn't moved in 10 years!

Yeah, there are lots of modern engines that would outperform the .36X, but I'd like to osrun mine in a period-appropriate model just to see what it was like to fly them.

Iskandar

I used to bounce back and forth between a Goldberg profile Shoestring Stunter and a Voodoo. Those were my favorites. That Fox .36X sure would honk. Especially when fueled with Missile Mist fuel.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

The Fox 15X was one of Dukes success stories. He stated that over 50K of them were sold in the first year of production. Mt last 15XR/C were obtained in 1990 with the MK10 carbs. They are still NIB. Production stopped as the dies were wore out and the 15BB was probably outselling the venerable 15X. It is still one of my favorite Foxes and I own at least a dozen of them.

Dennis
Old 06-25-2013, 01:06 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have the original Fox .15X that I bought back in 1962. Fine running engine.

Ed Cregger