Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 03:48 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Sie glücklicher Kerl, der werden eine nette Fläche sein. Genießen Sie die Gestalt.

Well when you translate to German and then translate back to English it doesn't work very well
Later!!
Anthony
Old 06-25-2013, 04:06 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: acerc

Well I guess I lied. I went ahead and unpacked. Holy cow is this some nice stuff. The instructions are in German so I think my first task is to get a translation book and go through the manual and translate it.
No, you didn't lie.........you just succumbed to the temptation.

I'm looking forward to this build.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:24 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well gentlemen once again my mind has changed. I had a couple lengthy conversations this evening about the required mods to get this S1-S kit to a S1-T. The most knowledgeable being Aviat Aircraft and I have come to the conclusion that there is no point in buying such a nice kit just to modify it from the rear of the lower wing forward, and that's a lot of work. So I will be going with a S1-S scheme. As of this moment it will be modeled after a racer #51 of a gentleman named Chris. Below is a photo of it, the only one I currently have, but Chris has told me he has lots of photos. So hopefully I will be getting a few more to go by. I will not say when I will begin but it will be soon, very soon. And I will take plenty of photos of the construction.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

Sie glücklicher Kerl, der werden eine nette Fläche sein. Genießen Sie die Gestalt.

Well when you translate to German and then translate back to English it doesn't work very well
Later!!
Anthony
Bah-ha-ha-ha!!! No that doesn't translate too well. Babylon translates it thusly: "You are a lucky guy who will be a nice area. Enjoy the shape."

Old 06-25-2013, 06:12 PM
rs917

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear the kit arrived, Robert. 

Good choice on the S-1S scheme. Should look sharp in the air and have enough contrast between top/bottom to be easily visible.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:24 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Well at least she is still Red,White and Blue.

Does the kit look like a straight forward build? From my experiences building bigger planes they are actually easier to build just a whole lot of wood to work with.

I would also look at building a stand for holding the fuse by the firewall allowing you to rotate the fuse. Comes in really handy for covering and paint. Can't remember if you already use such a fixture. My memory sucks.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM
jmpups
My Feedback: (1)

Your My Hero, Don't forget the spark plug cap. Thanks, JMPUPS
Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 AM
acerc

Anthony as you stated the bigger the better, they are easier. This is one well designed kit, the fuse formers have legs and there is a ply plate that goes on the table that the legs get glued into. So after glueing the fuse formers in the ply plate all the formers are standing upright and ready for the rest to be attatched. As for a fuse stand, remember the stand I used for painting the little Pitts on, it will be a great benefit on this one as well. I hope to get this started here shortly.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:42 AM
acerc

It's in the truck Joe. Do you need a plug also? I have a couple in my field box, I can leave one.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: acerc

Well I guess I lied. I went ahead and unpacked. Holy cow is this some nice stuff. The instructions are in German so I think my first task is to get a translation book and go through the manual and translate it.
It might be worthwhile to go to a local college and find a German prof to work with - probably turn him/her on to make a couple of hundred to verify your translation and make you more comfortable with the results.

I miss my cheap low quality Pitts Specials..darn radio failures.

Good luck on your build
Old 06-26-2013, 05:08 PM
stevegauth30

Well, this seems a lot like de ja vu, only on a grander scale. I'm anxiously awaiting the start of this one.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:51 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

subscribed!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Robert,

Is the 46% Pitts the 1:2.1 version

http://translate.google.com/translat...en-US:official

The 2.43m / 95.67" version?

Bill
Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 PM
acerc

Well I can honestly say this translating thing suck's. I have started just looking for numbers and translating the word next to them so I can write at each step the size and type of wood. One would think that if I can scratch build I can figure this one out. Which I believe I can. I just don't want to waste or cut the wrong piece for the wrong place. Just doing the # and type will make for a easier time. There is a CD with good pictures of each step so it really should not be too bad. I do know already that the tail wheel has got to go, no where near scale. And the cabane will probably be replaced, I want a one piece top wing with no joint showing and there is no way to do that with the kits cabane. Also, it supplies cable and bolt clevises for the flying wires but the real thing is not a cable but more of a solid rod so I will probably replace those as well. Depending on length, the wires will more than likely be made of 4-40 push rods just like the little Pitts. The pushrods don't seem to stretch or anything. The fuse front is sheeted and there is a fiberglass wreath that surrounds the cockpit so I will need to make the rest of the panels, which is no big deal. Ok, that's it for what I don't like now for the what I do like. The cowl and pants are nice glass work with a very smooth gelcoat primer. The main gear are real strudy, clean welds, and functional with a center bungee like the full scale. All the wood is router cut, which makes for some real nice pieces without laser dust to have to sand off. There are some really light Kavan pneumatic wheels on what appears to be plastic hubs, with plastic bushing. They are nice but I don't know how long they will last so I may eventually get the Kavan aluminum rim's with actual  bearing's. The hardware package appears to be complete with everything needed, which includes all the metal pieces for the flying wire attachments. Some nice aluminum cowl mount blocks, L shaped, with external bolts which will be modified for no external bolts.

I know it may sound as if there is a lot wrong with this kit, there is not. This kit is very nice and very complete. There's just a few thing's "I" prefer to be closer to scale. If this was to be built other than for scale there would be nothing to change.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 PM
acerc

Yes Bill, that would be correct.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:00 AM
stevegauth30

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. The one thing I can almost guarantee is that you will end up with one hell of a pitts though. Who knows, maybe you'll come out of this speaking German. LOL.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:47 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Robert,

Let me know if you want me to shoot you any shots of the ARC EMHW Pitts S1-S I have down in my basement....since it was built by the folks at EMHW you should get a good idea of how they meant for things to go together (not that you can't figure it out on your own of course).

And being an ARC it's wide open for photos ...

Bill
Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 AM
hrrcflyer

Hey Robert,

Have you considered buying a roll of construction paper and tracing all of the formers, ribs & etc. in the kit and labeling them as to the material they are made of? For a kit this size and complexity, it may not be a bad idea. I'm certainly not wishing that anything will happen, but it will help you in case "something" happens, heaven forbid..........[X(].

Take care,
David
Old 06-27-2013, 05:33 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Congrats Robert! By the end of this build not only will you be an accomplished Pitts builder, but you will be proficient in German! This kit manufacturer doesn't offer manuals in different languages?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:34 AM
stevegauth30

I do that with ALL my kits. Even the small cheaper ones. In the beginning I used to save all of the laser cut scraps to trace out later, until I had no room for planes with all that junk. Now it all fits neatly in a drawer. And believe me, I've rebuilt entire planes that way.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:51 AM
acerc

You guys are hilarious with the German thing, especially being as my grand parents were German. But they dropped the language when they came here and di not speak a word of German to my Mom or us kids. As for copying all the parts, never have and as long as I have the plans never will. I can remake most any part from the plans so I don't have the need.

Bill I appreciate the offer and may take you up on those pics later. The plans are very well drawn with good details. I don't think it will be a problem, but that may change later. And like I said in my previous post,

"This is a very nice kit, it is a complete kit. I'm only changing appearance related items to appear more scale. If I was not building for to show I would not change a thing.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:54 AM
acerc

Vincent his website say he does give instructions in English on the cd. But there is nothing on it in English other than the lg mount and cowl mount. Go figure!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:12 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Scheibe! [:@]
Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 AM
acerc

Scheibe!
On my translator means, washer??
Old 06-27-2013, 11:01 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

On my translator it says Disc! lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.