Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate question - when does it make sense to go gas from glow???

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

The Ultimate question - when does it make sense to go gas from glow???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The Ultimate question - when does it make sense to go gas from glow???

Yeah, those "glow-plug-petrol engines" seem to offer the perfect compromise between simplicity, lightness and frugality.

I presume that they use a low-oil pre-mix. I mean, it's the oil that is expensive, isn't it? I buy methanol for less than half the cost of petrol ... but the oil is very pricey.

My glow fuel works out at £1.80 per litre.

A 5% petroil mix would cost about £1.95 per litre ... but, you use less of it.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:11 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: The Ultimate question - when does it make sense to go gas from glow???

When it makes sense to you.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Phoenex,

Please accept that I meant no disrespect to the electric fliers. I like diversity in the hobby, but for myself, the sound, smell and duration of fueled engines is preferred. (Wayyyy to many years flying around 3 poles.) As far as the glow-to-gas issue, another thing I like about gas is with lower oil content, you have less seepage into the airframe. The glows I still fly are 2.5 to 5 cc screamers. They are still a lot of fun!
Old 06-23-2013, 03:16 PM
ssautter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, it makes sense to go from gas to glow, when the class dictates.

Small ignition engines were the norm for old-timers and antiques.
Check this link for some examples: http://www.antiquemodeler.org/

It's all been done before....
Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Phoenex

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Phoenex,

Please accept that I meant no disrespect to the electric fliers. I like diversity in the hobby, but for myself, the sound, smell and duration of fueled engines is preferred. (Wayyyy to many years flying around 3 poles.) As far as the glow-to-gas issue, another thing I like about gas is with lower oil content, you have less seepage into the airframe. The glows I still fly are 2.5 to 5 cc screamers. They are still a lot of fun!
I am not offended,I know electric is not for everyone and like all power systems it has it's pluses and minuses.I appreciate and enjoy seeing the different models and power systems for planes that club members bring out to the club. I think this thread's question is a personal decision for each modeler. Certainly, a person would has to be careful about the airframe design and type to have a good experience with some of the heavier than glow gas engines under 20cc. For example the Hanger 9 Meridian 10cc is a purpose built, large wing area, tail heavy plane designed for the heavier gas engine.We have glow guys that fly nearly everything with glow because that is the way they want it, I respect that. I do wish we had a separate maintenance area for guys working on the airplane's engine. The noise can be be so loud as to make it difficult to focus on flying or hearing your radio beeping the flight timer. We had one of the guy's prop explode while he trying to get the engine to run right making it a dangerous as well.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as safety, the electrics actually scare me more than the gassers. Once the system is armed, that prop could start spinning, (and eating things) at any moment. A spurious radio signal, a bumped throttle stick, fault in the equipment; many things could make that prop take off spinning at a most inopportune time. I have had it happen personally, and heard of it numerous times.

I am not a member of any club, but if I were I would strongly suggest a rule that every electric plane have an external arming device, and only be armed once the plane is at the flight line and pointed away from anybody or anything.

AV8TOR
Old 06-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a big electric turn on and go tearing through the pits. People were diving out of the way before it finally hit the frequency board. The pilot was wearing a neck strap, he reached down, the transmitter hung next to his chest moving the throttle up to full. He didnt even have time to grab the plane before it cause some wing damage on a pole.
Edwin
Old 06-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Phoenex

ORIGINAL: Edwin

I have seen a big electric turn on and go tearing through the pits. People were diving out of the way before it finally hit the frequency board. The pilot was wearing a neck strap, he reached down, the transmitter hung next to his chest moving the throttle up to full. He didnt even have time to grab the plane before it cause some wing damage on a pole.
Edwin

As far as safety, the electrics actually scare me more than the gassers. Once the system is armed, that prop could start spinning, (and eating things) at any moment. A spurious radio signal, a bumped throttle stick, fault in the equipment; many things could make that prop take off spinning at a most inopportune time. I have had it happen personally, and heard of it numerous times.

I am not a member of any club, but if I were I would strongly suggest a rule that every electric plane have an external arming device, and only be armed once the plane is at the flight line and pointed away from anybody or anything.

AV8TOR
Most modern computerized radios that have mixes available that can be programmed with a kill switch that activates/disables the throttle for electric power. Every model I have except the Ultra Micros have this programmed in the radio. You cannot wait and turn on the electricity to the plane at the flight line, since you must do a thorough pre-flight check before flying. Electric can be more dangerous than fuel since the motor makes no noise when it's ready for flight and the props tend to be razor sharp. Please do not turn this thread into a fuel vs electric, it's about when a person decides to go with gas over glow.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 PM
OkieTrucker

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ngine-EVOE10GX
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...cc-arf-HAN5015

Thinking very seriously about buying this combo. Ideas, comments, suggestions?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Phoenex

ORIGINAL: OkieTrucker

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ngine-EVOE10GX
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...cc-arf-HAN5015

Thinking very seriously about buying this combo. Ideas, comments, suggestions?
Looks like a good combination, there is a thread on this combo with pics and video check it out.

Hangar 9 Meridian Sport ARF and Evolution 10cc Gas Engine[/b]
Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A couple of the current RC aircraft publications have tests on this aircraft and engine combo.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 PM
J_Lombard

I'm building a Pica 1/5 scale T-28.The kit calls for a .9 - 1.20 glo or a 1.2 - 1.6 4 cycle. If I were to opt for a gasser what size would some of you suggest. Also with all the new engines coming online which ones show good promise as to quality?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Phoenex

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Edwin

AV8TOR
Most modern computerized radios that have mixes available that can be programmed with a kill switch that activates/disables the throttle for electric power. Every model I have except the Ultra Micros have this programmed in the radio. You cannot wait and turn on the electricity to the plane at the flight line, since you must do a thorough pre-flight check before flying. Electric can be more dangerous than fuel since the motor makes no noise when it's ready for flight and the props tend to be razor sharp. Please do not turn this thread into a fuel vs electric, it's about when a person decides to go with gas over glow.

Sorry, but this isn't intended to be a "gas/glow" versus electric argument. It couldn't be, because everyone here knows that internal combustion is better than electric!!!

AV8TOR
Old 06-26-2013, 01:15 AM
AA5BY

ORIGINAL: J_Lombard

I'm building a Pica 1/5 scale T-28.The kit calls for a .9 - 1.20 glo or a 1.2 - 1.6 4 cycle. If I were to opt for a gasser what size would some of you suggest. Also with all the new engines coming online which ones show good promise as to quality?
30cc but not at the cost of adding any tail weight.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:09 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like most gas flyers I switched to gas years ago in order to fly bigger planes. Just recently I removed a 35cc gas engine from a scale Fiat CR32 bipe because I needed it for another plane. I replaced it with an old ST 2500 running straight methanol and oil. around 10% oil. The ease and power of this old glow engine was a real eye opener! I think we tend to forget how good the bigger glow engines were because we get caught up in the "gas thing". The performance of the old ST 2500 was easily 50% better than the newer gas engine and starting was one flip. Turned the same prop at least 1500 rpm more. So, I guess what I am saying is, don't look down your noses at big glow engines. They do have some advantages. I would use one up to about 40cc. I also got a new ST4500 for almost nothing because it was a glow engine. I use it in planes designed for 60 to 70 cc engines. Yes, it does use more fuel, but straight methanol and oil is not much more than gas and oil now. I use a 24 oz tank and get 8 to 10 min. flight time. Not much different than my Sachs 4.2 and only a little less power. It would fly any of the Top Flight giant warbirds quite well.
Larry
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: harttvboy04

Hi guys,

I'd like to start a topic up about something that has been almost consuming for me -
I own a wonderful Webra 120 with a BCM pitts muffler. This engine, as described by others, does not miss a beat. Just starts wonderfully and runs as well. It does drink glow fuel, but produces seemingly more power than any sub 30cc gasser will produce.

I'd like to go a touch faster and can justify having more power ( this is on a cmpro 120 zero). The upfront cost seems steep, especially when it is easier to swallow 65$ cases every few weeks, as a pose to close to 450 for the least expensive 30cc I'd consider (dle 30) by the time all accessories and equipment is purchased.

So, the ultimate question.

When does it make sense to just bite the bullet and go gas?

Do you trade one set of issues for another?

Does it make sense to go down the road of converting glow engines to gas?

I am good at tuning the glow engines, and I assume that most principles still apply.

Please, let's open this up to honest, kind interaction so that people in my shoes can have good info.

Thanks!

Chris
Hi Chris,

Here's my take on the gas vs. glow...

If you like to fly less than about 1.2 cuin, hard to beat glow for the power/weight. 1.2 cuin (20cc) is my personal cut off. I have a few glow engines up to a 1.7 cuin, but they are in their boxes, unused.

Does it make sense to convert? Don't know from personal experience since I've not done it. But from the several comments I read, it probably doesn't. The cost of conversion can be equal to purchasing a gassie of the size needed, that's been designed to run on gas with appropriate amount of fin area to cool properly. Cooling is the key in my experience for long trouble free life of the gassie (and the glow too, but they are a little easier to keep cool since soooo much fuel is running through these)

Do you trade one set of issues for another? I'd have to say NO. Current day gas design especially in the 20 -60cc range is outstanding in its power to weight, ability to reject heat, operational simplicity, lack of maintenance (no more rusty bearings), and simple, superb field manners. Operational cost is also easy on the pocket, even if you use Avgas which is what I use. I do that for the lack of stink and long storage capability,

A gallon of avgas plus oil will run around 7$. A gallon of premium auto gas plus oil will run 4.50$. A gallon of 15% nitro cool power will run around 20$. A 16 ounce tank of gas will run an OS GT33 about 25 minutes. A 16 oz tank of 15% nitro will run a OS160/Webra 160 around 14 minutes and produce much less power. So the cost per unit op time is about 1 for gas to 6 to9for glow, for these specific fuels I mention. Other combinations will produce a higher or lower ratio

Tuning the gas engine is not the "set it and forget it" that some think, but it is very close. And I don't doubt that some do exactly that and just put up with the slight rich or lean runs. But in my experience VERYsmall adjustments do need to be done from summer to winter for optimal running.

But with glow, adjustments were needed just about every day for good running. Also, spark plugs are usually good for years andmany 100'sof flights. Glow plugs need changing fairly frequently for good consistent running, and you need to learn what to look for. Gas running is simply, well, simpler.!

I use and reccommend the TECHAEROIBEC for powering the CDI module. There are many advantages, some safety related (remote arming and disarmingby the TX is one big one), and some terrific conveniences. The filtering in this gizmo simply doesn't allow any RFI to get back into the RX. The IBEC weighs almost nothing (around 1/2 ounce) so for smaller planes, you save weight of the ignition battery and switch

My well tuned OS GT33 on its rubber isolation mount and pipe is supremely quiet. At last week's contest it was hard to tell when mine was running compared to all the electrics flying. And it wasn't just hype; fellow competitors told me so. Either way, gas engines don't have to sound like chain saws......
Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 AM
hsukaria

I crack up when a gas flyer comes out to the field with only his plane and a can of gas trying to make a fashion statement that "you don't need to lug around a big field box with gas". Then when they need a tool, they go around bumming from the glow guys.

I have electric park flyers, glow powered planes from the 40-90 size, and one gasser at 38cc. Like most, I would consider the cutoff for gas at 20cc and for electric to smaller than .40 c.i. The smaller gassers would use more oil, dictating the need for a separate gas can with different oil ratio (my gasser runs at 50:1 gas/oil). So, I will not be converting all my smaller glow planes to gas anytime soon, although I am considering a NV GX-40 for one of my planes for the future.

If the OP really likes his Webra glow and it fits his application well, I would recommend that he stick with it. I like the idea of running 0% nitro and lower oil content on the big glows. If you mix your own fuel at 10-12% oil and 0 nitro, you will reduce the cost of the fuel quite a bit.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 AM
[email protected]

i always carry my tool box it serves for gas or electric or glow it stays in my pick up all the time i use regular gas [87] i use only a half gallon gas 2 oz oil to it i do like gas and i do like nitro but i do find gas way cheaper >> but we all like what we like happy flying
Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 AM
hsukaria

Yep, I like them all too. I do like my big field box (used for gas, nitro, and electric), I just wish I could get me a bigger one. Hmmm, sounds like a good winter project!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: harttvboy04

Hi guys,

I'd like to start a topic up about something that has been almost consuming for me -
I own a wonderful Webra 120 with a BCM pitts muffler. This engine, as described by others, does not miss a beat. Just starts wonderfully and runs as well. It does drink glow fuel, but produces seemingly more power than any sub 30cc gasser will produce.

I'd like to go a touch faster and can justify having more power ( this is on a cmpro 120 zero). The upfront cost seems steep, especially when it is easier to swallow 65$ cases every few weeks, as a pose to close to 450 for the least expensive 30cc I'd consider (dle 30) by the time all accessories and equipment is purchased.

So, the ultimate question.

When does it make sense to just bite the bullet and go gas?

Do you trade one set of issues for another?

Does it make sense to go down the road of converting glow engines to gas?

I am good at tuning the glow engines, and I assume that most principles still apply.

Please, let's open this up to honest, kind interaction so that people in my shoes can have good info.

Thanks!

Chris

There is no point or step or point of no return. Go when to gasoline whenever you feel like it. Heck you can even start the hobby flying gasoline now. Just do it

Old 06-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Yep, I like them all too. I do like my big field box (used for gas, nitro, and electric), I just wish I could get me a bigger one. Hmmm, sounds like a good winter project!!!
Years ago I made the mistake of taking my flight box to a bathroom scale. The weight astounded me!

Now I have 4 smaller boxes, each for a different issue I might have to deal with, and a much smaller flight box that generally stay in the vehicle unless one of my models develops a problem.

As I get older, the less weight I have to lug from here to there the more time and energy I have for enjoyment. Oh, that is also one of the things I like about gas - it is simple and does not take much in place (in the pits or at the flight station) gear. Some folks have seen me fuel up.. a la gravity feed because I am too lazy to crank. That tank of mixed gas and a glove and I am ready to fly.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM
fly24-7

So long as you're not financially strapped such that you can't afford glow fuel and you continue to enjoy operating glow engines, ride it out until you're no longer left with a choice.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM
hsukaria

Leaving the big field box in the car/truck and carrying the minimum to the pits area makes sense. I have a small portable field box, but my big field box is NOT BIG ENOUGH. I NEED a BIGGER field box and plan on keeping the small portable box and put what is needed for the occasion, whether it is batteries for electrics, leather glove for gas, or the starting gear for glow. Even with gas planes, I still carry a battery tester and a tachometer, besides the gas and hand glove.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: fly24-7

So long as you're not financially strapped such that you can't afford glow fuel and you continue to enjoy operating glow engines, ride it out until you're no longer left with a choice.
There are also compromises and creative ways to get around a local hobby store gouging the glow prices. I am fortunate that the LHS I deal with does not jack up the price of glow fuel like I keep hearing from guys in this site. Last year, I made a deal with a club member who had 6 gallons of 5% nitro fuel that he did not want to use. I gave him 2 gallons of 15% glow fuel that I bought for about $15/gallon at the Toledo Show. So, I am flying with 5% fuel at $5/gallon. I burn about 1 gallon per season for my 2-strokes, so I am set for another 5-6 years[8D].

Besides, you can always mix your own fuel if you are so inclined. So, glow fuel availability is not an issue, IMHO. Also, most people think that they gotta have more nitro in their fuel. With the exception of 4-strokes, I have been able to get good performance out of my 2-strokes with only 5% nitro (I even got decent results with 0% nitro in one of my engines).
Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

..SNIP..

Also, most people think that they gotta have more nitro in their fuel. With the exception of 4-strokes, I have been able to get good performance out of my 2-strokes with only 5% nitro (I even got decent results with 0% nitro in one of my engines).
I have been taught that when folks say that it is generally because there is some minor issue they are missing in setting the engine up. The guy who taught me that also made sure I knew the correct ways and how to test for them. It seems that many leave the low end of 2S engines too rich and that comes back to bite you elsewhere that is not evident when you are setting the high end on the ground. The other 'trick' is to do ALL engine tuning at 1/2 tank. I don't know if he was always right, but once I took his advice on when and how to tune the low end and high end, I began getting lots more consistent runs. He taught me one way to test if the set up was right and another gave me yet a different way and between the two, my 2S engines are almost always good or I need a new glow plug or new fuel. The nitro content has nothing (well, little) to do with quality of the run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.