Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Balancing 3 blade prop

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Balancing 3 blade prop

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:10 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Balancing 3 blade prop

I am going to be painting a 3 blade prop. Will need to sand first and then paint backside red and front side grey. After I do all this painting I'm sure it will need to be balanced again. Never tried to do a 3-blade. Am I correct, I can just keep spraying a little more clear on each light blade and it will eventually balance; basically same way I've done a 2-blade.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:45 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Balancing 3 blade prop

You are correct
Old 06-24-2013, 06:57 AM
abufletcher

You may need a different style of prop balancer with 3 blades, for example this one:

http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/fema3dbalancer.html
Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 274 Likes on 239 Posts

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

You may need a different style of prop balancer with 3 blades, for example this one:

http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/fema3dbalancer.html

Nice! I may have to purchse one of those!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:34 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a hard time with the bubble type balancers. I use one from Dubro now and it works very well, very sensitive, and I have had as large as 34x14 2 blade and a 32x12 3 blade on it. Balances 3 blades as well as it does 2 blades.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD712&P=ML

Old 06-24-2013, 03:53 PM
acerc

Heres a couple shots of it with a 33x14 prop I just received, it is used. And it would appear the prop is one coat of clear from being balanced. This thing is sensitive enough I have to close the A/C vent in the ceiling in order to balance.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 PM
abufletcher

I actually also use that same Dubro Balancer on my larger props, e.g. the 24/10 for my Seidel 770. Since I don't use 3-bladed props I never thought about how those would work on a regular balancer. I guess I don't understand how that would work. Clearly the "heavy" blade wouldn't be heavy enough to outweigh the other two blades and sink to the bottom. Right?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:22 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Because the prop, two or three blade, is a single unit, the heaviest spot will always fall.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:11 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: splais

Because the prop, two or three blade, is a single unit, the heaviest spot will always fall.
That doesn't make sense to me. If there's one blade pointing down, that would mean there are two blades above the pivot point. It seems to me that a three bladed prop would always come to rest with two blades on the bottom and one sticking up.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:53 AM
acerc

As splais said it is a single unit same as a two blade. And the heaviest point will fall to the bottom. If all the baldes weigh the same the prop will not rotate whether it is 2-3-4 blade. Just work the three blade the same as you would a two blade. The only real difference is in the fact you may have three different weighted blades, that does add a little more work. But as for balancing it goes the same you just might have two blades to work on instead of one.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:19 AM
TFF

Balancing is the same, but what is different is that you can have one light blade and two heavy, two heavy and one light, three different weights. Many times you have to average between two blades the changes; its not necessarily going to be one blade that needs work, maybe all of them.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:34 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

". It seems to me that a three bladed prop would always come to rest with two blades on the bottom and one sticking up. "

Back to school, Abu. Physics particularly. If all things are equal, ANY properly balanced prop should stay in ANY position it is put into.

Les
Old 06-25-2013, 10:54 AM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

I had to balance a new three blade prop system from Troybuilt. Had I known of the Vogelsang unit I would have acquired it. 

As it was I used the Dubro one. To help me work through the process I first used small scraps of masking tape to practice balancing. I first trIed to get it balanced even with tape on three blades, then balanced with tape on only two. It worked and then I added clear paint to the blade with the lesser amount of tape until it balanced again, now with no tape on two blades, then added clear on the last blade until none needed on the last blade. I was removing small bits of the tape as I added the clear to show that I was getting there, helped agin show that I was going in the right direction. Now I think I could repeat it faster, but the tape was completely removable as safe as I learned.

Whit
Old 06-25-2013, 04:40 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There seems to be an assumption that two blades will weigh some identical weight while the 3rd one will be lighter or heavier. The trick is, what does one do when all three blades have different weights?

My first balancer, way back when, worked on the principle shown in Post #3 except that it cost about $1.99 I think. I wonder if it is still around. I'll have a look... I can't remember who the manufacturer was but I think it was one of the major suppliers.

Bob
Old 06-25-2013, 04:50 PM
wphilb

If you read through my post above I was trying to describe balancing when all three were different weights, that was what happened to me! Not saying I succeeded...

Whit
Old 06-25-2013, 05:20 PM
N1EDM

Hi Whit,
Sorry I was reading too fast. But I was really directing my comment to folks who were discussing having two blades down (equally).

I have come across articles in the past that discussed how to balance a 3-blade prop but unfortunately I cannot find one (as yet) on my PC. But I did come across a picture of that old prop balancer that I mentioned in Post 13, just to give you an idea of what it looked like. It's in the top and middle photos of the attachment.

I'll keep looking for that article.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41049.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	1895084  
Old 06-26-2013, 05:36 AM
wphilb

That's a helpful article! What I could read of it anyway. I intend to get a balancer from Vogelsang but will assiduously level the surface I will balance it on first!

Whit
Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 AM
CCFPILOT

It looks to me as if the Vogelsang has its own level indicator, and won't require precision leveling of the table.
<o></o>

Old 06-26-2013, 04:06 PM
N1EDM

I have the the entire article. I can't recall if it has anything in it on 3-blade props or not. I was going to re-read it tonight.

I tried to upload it but the file is very large - about 8MB in pdf. I'm not sure if I could even email it out.

Bob
Old 06-26-2013, 04:33 PM
N1EDM

Whit, send me a PM with your home email address please. I presume you can take large files at your home email?

Bob
Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

''. It seems to me that a three bladed prop would always come to rest with two blades on the bottom and one sticking up. ''

Back to school, Abu. Physics particularly. If all things are equal, ANY properly balanced prop should stay in ANY position it is put into.
Les, I'm afraid I never had any physics to start with. [] All of my comments stem from the same simplistic mental image of a balance: What's on the left needs to balance what's on the right. Assuming we draw a vertical mental line through the center of the prop, I can see how a 2-blades prop should stay in any position with my "mental balance." But once I start trying to fit a 3-bladed prop all of my common sense goes out the window. The only two "balanced" positions are with one blade straight up and with one blade straight down. Or at least that's the way my mind wants to see it (and my mind also sees the "one blade up" as inherently more stable).

Guess this is why I'm an English teacher.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 274 Likes on 239 Posts

Abufletcher, now that you have three blade balancing figured out how about tackling Schroeder's cat next?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:24 AM
wphilb

Done,

Many thanks!!

Whit

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Whit, send me a PM with your home email address please. I presume you can take large files at your home email?

Bob
Old 06-27-2013, 05:32 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's how it's done and the Dubro balancer will do just fine and is very accurate. http://www.phprc.net/images/RC_Aero_..._Technique.pdf
Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Abu. The problem is your mental image. A prop is not merely a 2 or 3 bladed "thing", it is a disk of a diameter equal to the total length of the prop. Think of it in action.

Les

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.