Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetCat li-po bat C Rating

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetCat li-po bat C Rating

Old 06-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default JetCat li-po bat C Rating

Hey guys,
I need to replace two stock jetcat Li-Pos used for P80se kero starts. Im thinking on some Thunder power batts but what would be the required C-rating? I bearly get two starts from the stock bat that came with the engines so im needing new ones.
Dreamworks has two on their website: a 3300MaH at 65C that they recommend for Kero Start, and they have a 4300 MaH at at 35c,
If 35C if is enough i would rather get that for the higher MaH and more starts on a charge.

Thanks! In advance!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts
Default RE: JetCat li-po bat C Rating

Anything above 30c is enough. High C will cope with Kero starting loads, but higher C are normally only needed in cool ambient temps...like Europe

TP cells are low resistance and just about the best you can get!

Dave
Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kenrico

Hey guys,
I need to replace two stock jetcat Li-Pos used for P80se kero starts. Im thinking on some Thunder power batts but what would be the required C-rating? I bearly get two starts from the stock bat that came with the engines so im needing new ones.
Dreamworks has two on their website: a 3300MaH at 65C that they recommend for Kero Start, and they have a 4300 MaH at at 35c,
If 35C if is enough i would rather get that for the higher MaH and more starts on a charge.

Thanks! In advance!
I tested a Kingtech K170 ...Ok, not jetcat, but simular I guess in terms of power needed. The Kero burner used 35Watt, which on a 2S pack equals about 4Amps. A 1C pack would do just fine... yes I know the starter motor needs some too, but only another 10A tops which makes it 15A in total, so a 3C pack then...
Old 06-25-2013, 01:04 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The supplied battery on my 180RX (and a friend's) couldn't start the turbine in January in the UK due to the cold. Swapped to a Hacker 30C pack and all was well.......
Old 06-25-2013, 02:53 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Same here, the low temp during winter is better handled by a "higher C rating" battery (lower internal resistance)
Using LF-Technic and Hyperion in all my planes (40..60 C), works ok.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:26 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys,

Thanks! In advance!
I have been using a Thunder power 5000mah 2s 45c battery on my Jetcat P80se Kero start turbine for the last three years and i get up to 7 starts with out any issues before i have to recharge. I'm using the same set-up for my other two Jetcat P120sx's and i am able to get the same amount of starts on them.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:56 PM
josecilurzo

JETCATs P80 SE with T.P. G6 2.250 2S, 7 flights on BOOMERANG SPRINT, 10 minutes run time per flight, no issues.

JOSE
Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

thanks Guys! Ill go with the higher Mah one on 35C, should be good for about 5 starts.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 04:30 PM
jetdriver
My Feedback: (1)

the higher the mah rating, the less C rating you need. mah times C rating is the max amps you can produce with a given battery. I use 5000 mah 25C batteries on kero start engines. that will deliver 125 amps! you are probably drawing 50 amps max on a kero start engine.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slightly off topic but I was trying to fix my supplied jet cat lipo (A123) for my 180rx. I have had a few issues with the balance leads not corrected properly and I think I corrected it now. However I have all LiMN batteries still so what is the usual voltage of a Jetcat a123 3S off of your charger?
Mine is about 10.6V.

Thanks
Dave
Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ddennison

Slightly off topic but I was trying to fix my supplied jet cat lipo (A123) for my 180rx. I have had a few issues with the balance leads not corrected properly and I think I corrected it now. However I have all LiMN batteries still so what is the usual voltage of a Jetcat a123 3S off of your charger?
Mine is about 10.6V.

Thanks
Dave
Charging should terminate @ 3.6V per cell or 10.8V for a 3S, A123 pack but they will drop slightly very soon after the charge terminates. If you're charger has a discharge
function and you're concerned about the pack, simply cycle it a couple of times and verify that it delivers close to it's rated capacity.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:52 PM
rcand

Hey guys,

Thanks! In advance!

Thunder power are excellent and get at least 30C.