Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Rossi Speed 13 Pipe Length

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 PM
WMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rossi Speed 13 Pipe Length

Well I didn't get to test fly the Arrow today. I ran out of daylight BUT, I did run a tank of fuel through the engine. I opened the carb up wide open, put my finger over the carb and pulled the prop through until fuel reached the carb. I pulled it through one more time, then flipped it through two times, set the throttle to idle and put the glow plug driver on and pulled it through to feel it hit. I flipped it one time and it was off and running. The engine ran great. The only issue I had was the thing seemed to get richer when I leaned out the mixture with the slider on the transmitter. I looked down at the mixture control while sliding the trimmer on the radio to full lean and the motor went rich. I did not realize that the mixture control on this engine was backwards to what I am used to with every other engine that I have ever used. I leaned it out just enough to get it on the pipe good and it was swinging the APC 11x7 at 14850. The engine was nice and smooth and I have no doubt that it will take this thing will have plenty of power tomorrow morning when I test fly it.

More to come.

Wayne
Old 06-26-2013, 05:31 AM
Jim Oliver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wayne,
Check this out; these are with the 10mm carb, sounds like you are using the 9mm carb.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11519458/tm.htm
Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 AM
dphill2

Wayne,
I did the same thing with this R60F (new out of the box)side ex on my old standby Compensator. The thing started on the first flip and ran very smooth. The engine is running in the picture but the flash stopped it.
After I ran a tank through I started doing a little adj on the needle, and it came up on the pipe and started singing that song. I ran a couple of tanks through it so I will be ready to get some flying on it @ Hodges !!

Dave.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36665.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1895248  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 PM
speed-panzer

Has someone tested the other Novarossi pipe, the "compact" 50351?
It looks kind of stubby for a .61 engine IMHO, seems to be of same diamter as the 50400.
The 50400 pipe gets close to the Hatori 650, do I understand right?

Dominik
Old 06-26-2013, 01:00 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dominik,

I believe Eric in Arizona has. He has a thread here I believe discussing his mystery "A" pattern classic. If memory serves, the short pipe doesn't allow the engine to breathe and properly come up on the pipe.

David
Old 06-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Jim Oliver

The weight of my unused Hatori 650 is 1 oz. lighter than the unused NR 50400. From the outside the two pipes are similiar but not identical; the first baffle seems to be about the same distance from the inlet on both pipes. Best I can tell, they seem to perform about the same.

Jim
Old 06-26-2013, 02:19 PM
EscapeFlyer

Jim Oliver Tested my C61F RE NR using the NR 50400 against the Hatori 650 and the Macs muffled tuned pipe.

The numbers between the Hatari 650 and the NR 50400 were the same.

The Macs Muffled Pipe offered about 150 to 200 rpm more than the other 2.

Brian
Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 PM
WMann

Well I managed to get in 1.5 test flights today before the pipe slid back and the terrible sound of an open face engine let me know that my fun was over. I had high temp tie raps cinched up tight on the coupler and I used a Dave Brown pipe mount...bad choice, to hold the pipe. It is the pipe mount with the black rubber O-ring that hooks to the mount on both sides of the pipe and I'll say that it looks cute, but function is where it counts and this thing is a POS. So I had to remake a rear pipe mount tonight to fix that problem. Tomorrow morning it is off to the field for a couple more test flights and then off to Mac's place this weekend for some fun.

As for what it was like to fly the Arrow again after nearly 30 years, well everyone knows the expression "It's like riding a bicycle". Well that is utter BS. It was more like going from a car to a unicycle. I was way behind the airplane. I remembered the plane being fast, but it was really moving. As for the APC 11x7 prop. Several people mentioned that I needed more prop. I did one half Cuban eight and it was hauling butt going over the top with no signs of slowing down, so this Nova Rossi Speed 13 will not be getting any more pitch or length in the prop department unless I have to go to a field at a much higher altitude.

I had a lot of trouble getting the plane slowed down for landing. Twenty some years competing in World Championships with helicopters has done very little for my airplane pattern skills. Every time I banked to make a turn I was putting rudder in as I would with a helicopter and Arrows do not like to be flown like that. Fortunately everything I need to know about this airplane can be found at the bottom of a 55 gallon drum of fuel.

Wayne
Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 PM
speed-panzer

Thanks for your information!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:47 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice account Wayne!

A bigger prop will actually slow the plane down. You'll just have more available power thoughout the throttle range. The 11x7 is for speed.

David
Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quite a funny first flight back in a fixed wing bullet. I have seen you fly your helicopter and you are freaking amazing!!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 AM
dphill2

Wayne,
I found just the opposite when I first started flying my Tipo with the Speed 13, I used a 11X71/4 Rev Up and the airplane was a bullet.
We have a Radar gun and checked my plane with it. on a down wind pass coming out of a split S we got 143 mph and 136 up wind.
I then changed to the 11X10 APC and the speed dropped to 106 along with the RPM. the Rossi still had enough torque to do the vertical maneuver's and was very smooth. ( sounds like a YS)
I have since dropped back to an 11X8 prop which seems to do better all around.
We will have the Radar gun with us if any want to check the speed of your plane..
See ya Friday.

Dave.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:40 AM
WMann

Hi guys,

Thanks Jeff.

Well I got another 1.5 flights in this morning. The airplane was so hard to slow down I took the advice of a long time pattern guy that I use to fly with and activated flaperons to help dirty up the airfoil and it worked like a charm. The airplane behaved wonderfully with the ailerons dropped. The second flight was aimed more at doing a few maneuvers to see how it actually flew. Other than a cross wind in my back pushing the model out away from me while doing rolls and vertical stuff it seems to fly really well, but I need a calm day to know for sure. Half way through the second flight I did a reverse outside loop. Coming down the back side I was just above a fast idle and as I leveled out inverted and started to roll out and as I eased the throttle up...NOTHING. It just spooled down and quit. I was only about a hundred feet off the deck and I did not have enough airspeed to make a turn and head down wind to set up for an up wind landing, so I let it cruise out a little ways and brought it around, dropped the flaps and made a down wind landing. Not wanting to get the airplane too slow I didn't go out far enough and you guessed it, she was coming in hot. Luckily my local field has a six hundred foot super nice grass runway. I got it on the ground with about one hundred feet left to work with and once it was planted I pushed down elevator. It went down on it's nose and slide to an impressive stop about fifty feet later. At this point I was seriously needing some JD and a couple valium. Try that maneuver with tricycle gear.

Back in the day with the OPS Super 60 the low speed needle had to be perfect or it would flame out in an inverted push at idle. The engine is still slightly rich. It is up on the pipe, but not hard and the low speed needle is close, but also slightly rich. I will be spending some time tomorrow trying to get the needles dialed in to avoid this during the contest as it tends to have a negative impact on one's scores. But, so far the engine has fired on the first flip every single time.

I do have an APC 11x8 that I will balance to night and bring with me, but the airplanes speed and pull are really good right now. Arrows needed speed to roll really well.

Wayne