Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

west systems on koverall

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

west systems on koverall

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:02 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default west systems on koverall

anybody tried it? i have some left over koverall and i plan to mix some , mabey , 8 to 1 west systems and give it a try.

i tried the k rall , thinned with denatured alk and 30 min epox, works well , and ALOT LESS stink. i think i will have to thin the west systems, but i dont
know how much to thin it .

it apears to work great with the 30 min epoxy thinned .
Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: west systems on koverall

Koverall is a fabric and is meant to be applied to airplanes with open structures. I think an epoxy applied over it with open wing bays, etc. would be prone to cracking and worse. I use Nitrate dope with koverall. If you are going to use koverall and epoxy over an all sheeted plane, you would be better off using light fiberglass instead.

carl
Old 06-26-2013, 11:22 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

its going over sheeted wings
Old 06-26-2013, 12:32 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would probably work, I have no experience but it makes sense.

I've covered 3 airplanes in koverall (1 sheeting wing) and I've always used nitrate dope, from start to finish. I use it to hold down the fabric and fill the weave, than paint. Its worked for me, of course my method isn't the only method out there, and probablynot the best either. I like the idea of experimenting, maybe try it on a scrap piece of balsa wood and see how it turns out?

Just an idea.

Jason
Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 PM
TFF

The problem is that dacron is used as peel ply in composite layups. Peel ply is used between the part being made and an absorber to suck up excess resin when vacuum bagged. Its used because the resin does not stick to it well so it can rip off after the part is done instead of being a lumpy mess. I also think it would be heavy.