Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

what plane to build around OS.10 engine?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

what plane to build around OS.10 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 02:14 PM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what plane to build around OS.10 engine?

You only need to watch that beauty lawn dart one time when reusing rubber bands a second or third time. Some how the cost of new bird outweighs the cost of new rubber bands, especially in Oklahoma winds. 20MPH wind here is a calm day.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:04 PM
sewflynwa

My recommendation would be a Sukhoi 26 designed by Nick Zirolli. It was published as a free plan in Model Airplane News in the Jan 1994 magazine. It was, and still is, a great plane. I can't begin to tell you the fun I had with it and how much I learned with it. Flew it with an OS .10 but blew off the balloon tank. I think the new miniature gear would work even better. Found a link showing the magazine and it is below. Other articles, or maybe even the plans, are probably out there too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ectorid=229466

Matadco, you guys ok up there? The winds were well in excess of 20mph, by about 10X.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:10 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

ORIGINAL: matadco You only need to watch that beauty lawn dart one time when reusing rubber bands a second or third time. Some how the cost of new bird outweighs the cost of new rubber bands, especially in Oklahoma winds. 20MPH wind here is a calm day.
I've been through OK during Spring. It was windy from eastern NM through Panhandle TX through Oklahoma City, perhaps windiest in the western parts. I'd say it was more like around 30 MPH with gusts to 50, like we have here. Haven't had a gum band come loose, although I had a spar break pulling out of a dive that became a lawn dart.

Back in the single channel days, I had insufficient gum bands on a single channel Goldberg 1/2-A Falcon. Lost both wing trailing edge shims for handling wind during a pull out (opposite rudder) from a spiral dive. That was a handful until the engine ran dry.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:17 PM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: sewflynwa My recommendation would be a Sukhoi 26 designed by Nick Zirolli. It was published as a free plan in Model Airplane News in the Jan 1994 magazine. It was, and still is, a great plane. I can't begin to tell you the fun I had with it and how much I learned with it. Flew it with an OS .10 but blew off the balloon tank. I think the new miniature gear would work even better. Found a link showing the magazine and it is below. Other articles, or maybe even the plans, are probably out there too.

Matadco, you guys ok up there? The winds were well in excess of 20mph, by about 10X.
sewflynwa, I think you mean RC instead of FF. I have those plans although I no longer have the mag. Back then it was the technology we had for a multi-channel fun flyer. Today with the smaller servos and electric motors, I can see how one would have a ball with it. Last I checked I think Air Age still sells plans of it.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 AM
matadco

I lived in Roswell and serviced Clovis, Carlsbad, Hobbs, and all easter NM back in the mid '60s. Piror I grew up in Texas Panhandle. I just thought I knew what wind was then I moved here. Today, average at 20MPH with continious gust up to 50. I could handle it with a full scale but my 40s-60s stay in the hanger. I lost my Super Sporter in a 40MPH cross wind landing.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:30 AM
Chickengeorge

Stephens akro. My buddy scratch built one in this size and it is the coolest best flying unique small plane ever
Old 06-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Trisquire

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

Trisquire, I've reused them, too. I think matadco might be talking about an additional layer of safety by using new rubber bands during a day's use with say a .40+ sized plane or competition plane. With those, there is a sufficient investment of both money and time that buying a new box every once and a while justifies the cost.

There's nothing more disconcerting than to watch your pride and joy become a lawn dart during a hard maneuver. [X(]
I didn't know that people only use rubber bands once on larger planes. That doesn't seem very cost effective. I reused them on my .20 powered Tri-Squire all the time, but it's not like I was practicing terminal velocity dives.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 AM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sewflynwa

My recommendation would be a Sukhoi 26 designed by Nick Zirolli. It was published as a free plan in Model Airplane News in the Jan 1994 magazine. It was, and still is, a great plane. I can't begin to tell you the fun I had with it and how much I learned with it. Flew it with an OS .10 but blew off the balloon tank. I think the new miniature gear would work even better. Found a link showing the magazine and it is below. Other articles, or maybe even the plans, are probably out there too.

I found this issue in a stack of mags somebody left in the club house recently. Plans still inside!
Norvel/NV .074 would be awesome.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:46 AM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: matadco I lived in Roswell and serviced Clovis, Carlsbad, Hobbs, and all easter NM back in the mid '60s. Prior I grew up in Texas Panhandle. I just thought I knew what wind was then I moved here. Today, average at 20MPH with continuous gust up to 50. I could handle it with a full scale but my 40s-60s stay in the hanger. I lost my Super Sporter in a 40MPH cross wind landing.
matadco, interestingly got into a conversation with some friends on a motorcycle ride this past weekend. Back in the '60s, weather here in NM with the exception of Spring and Fall was much milder than it is now. We now get 30 MPH winds with gusts to 50. When passing through OK last Spring, it seemed you folks were getting the same windy weather, it was as though an extension of what was happening here.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:54 PM
fritzke

I built the Ziroli/MAN Sukhoi when it was first published, originally built it for the TeeDee .09.
Ended up flying it electric and it is a really great plane, one of my faves to fly.
Never did fly with it with the Cox 09. Covering is spray painted 1.5mil Doculam.
Dave
PS
Post #5 is a picture of the Gnat I built, also from MAN full size pull-out plans!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23218.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1895371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60495.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1895372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91863.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.8 KB