Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 PM
kitekook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW_jwmQczfc[/youtube]
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 PM
YPC

Howzit Kite........great waves !

Would you please show a picture of the soloshot 'transponder set up' in the housing as you have it.......I would like to understand more about it.

IMO the unit should be able to track you better.....it seems to be working better to the left than the right.....could it be that the transponder is
better situated to one side ?

Bro
Old 06-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Hughengland

No waves on Maui - so I thought it was time to remember some epic sessions with friends - enjoy

MJ with Green Flash & Molokai in Background

MJ backdoor tube

Jock's inverted world

Hugh 2nd chance tube

Karl always in the right place
Old 06-24-2013, 10:38 AM
YPC

Hey Hugh......you should have got that ticket to Cape Town......weve been having some Great Surf !....or perhaps its the lull before the storm....

Sundays Surf Session......Part one !...3-5 ft face......strong Off-Shore conditions.....some great waves !......

We are still 'borrowing' camera's as ours is still being repaired ......hats off to Lisa-Marie for adapting so well to each camera...this one had a very good Zoom strength - But - very slow in adjusting.....The video format filmed in MVO - we had to convert it to AVI to edit - takes 'hours'...... & .......'hours'......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L8IARFSRGI[/youtube]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11551951
Old 06-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Hughengland

Dom,

Thanks for the rc surfing "fix" in cold Cape waters.
3-5 feet - perfect size & power - no surfers to boot!
What do/will you do if rc surfer craps out in offshore winds?
Do you have surfboard to retrieve?
Your wife does a great job as I can tell you are not beside her giving instructions as to where your toy is going next.
Suposed to be a swell hitting Maui - so loaded my rc toys into the truck today - but no waves.............
Played golf instead

MJ leaving for CA at end of this month - sure will miss his positive attitude, great sessions and offers of rescues when needed.

Raced shifter go karts last Sat night - won all 3 races - spent Sunday recovering from all the G Forces.

We need more WAVES

Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 AM
YPC

Howzit Hugh.......happy to hear you are enjoying the video's.....we really enjoy putting it all together !.....just loving it !

Winter is a great time for us as the NW wind and low pressure ground swell works well for False Bay ( my home break)....very few surfers at cemetery due to 'Great White Shark' territory.....its their Home Town !!!

Fortunately !....I have not had a board go 'crapy' on me in the surf yet ....BUT....that would be Lisa-Marie's other function..LOL...(Only Joking)...mostly I surf inside of the back line surf line - beach breaks are better than reefs as they mostly beak further out. A few times I have broken a prop....I have relied on the white water to wash the board in.....However I usually do take a board down, just in-case I need to retrieve Bro....if all else fails...

Lisa-Marie has it together behind the camera.....she has shared most all my water sports with me - so has a good 'instinct' as to my riding style and intentions....awesome having her enjoy and share the sport with me.

I have no doubt you will all miss MJ - he has been the hub of the ******** wheel in Maui.....fortunately you have plenty of great memories and experiences to carry on with - and - he is only a flight away.....its a small world now days....getting smaller all the time. Once Richard Branson perfects his space flight travel.....hey I might be surfing Muai with you "if you get waves".......LOL

Awesome looking Kart......reckon that little things Hauls Ass !.....congrats on the victories.......!!!

While you are still waiting for 'waves' hope you enjoy Part Two of Sundays session.........

GOLF !... Acronym = G entleman O nly L adies F orbidden)....hope you had a good round...

Bro ******** - Off -Shore - Part Two

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNhMhzNBsYU[/youtube]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11411721

Old 06-26-2013, 03:40 AM
YPC

Evolution !......

Some interesting reading....! http://mauinow.com/2012/10/18/power-...odern-surfing/

Bro
Old 06-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Hughengland

Thursday's Maui session - small waves with, MJ, Jock, Karl & Hugh.
MJ & Jock left early as they had to go to work & I was scrapping for their waves, instaed of working camera
Hugh on camera - Karl on water

Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 PM
YPC

Super Clean Surf....nice size and shape ..must have been a great session.........

Happy to see that Maui is getting some 'swell' again........any 'video'.......

Bro'

Old 06-29-2013, 05:11 AM
powerpark
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys

Managed to do some surfing at/on the outbanks of North Carolina. Photos are to follow. Also smoked a speed controller. What do you guys recommend? I was running a 60 amp hobbywing. I want to got to a 100 amp.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:44 AM
powerpark

All packed up and headed to the beach.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:55 AM
powerpark

Out on the water. Everyone likes RC Surfing.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:00 AM
powerpark

My wife and photographer.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:21 AM
kitekook

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-SaHZJ6YNo[/youtube]
Old 06-29-2013, 08:28 AM
YPC

Howzit PP...it looked like an awesome day down at the beach..nice swell...hope you had a few great waves before your ESC blew....

What is your set up combo ?......motor -prop - Batt V and Mah - board weight ......

Did any water get into the housing ?

Water pipes flowing well ?

Bro'
Old 06-29-2013, 10:18 AM
powerpark

Im doing good YPC

Yes I think I did get water in the esc. The next one will be sealed and ballooned.

Im looking at a hobbywing 90 amp. Seem like they are the big market share of the rc boat esc .

Stock prop ( from rcsurfcurls ) for the kyosho surfer

HobbyWing Seaking-60A Brushless ESC for Boat  (Version 2.0)
HobbyWing 2848 SL 3900kv Brushless Inrunner (WaterCooled)
Kv: 3900rpm/v
Diameter: 31mm
Length: 60mm
Shaft diameter: 3.17mm
Weight: 153g
Battery: 2s 7.4 volt  3,300mAh+
Old 06-29-2013, 10:45 AM
YPC

Howzit PP......

My guess ....it was the 'water' that did it then....most any manufacturers 'water proof' claim is absolute nonsense... shorting out the ESC with water 'can' cost you your entree board if things go really wrong .....best sort out the deck seal ...AND...... be sure to seal the ESC ..and all other electrics....

I use Prestick (blue tac) pressed into either end of the ESC's shrink wrap then wrap it with insulation tape...same for the battery and RX......water proofing all the electrics is like wearing a safety belt belt.....you hope never to need it - but - its helps plenty when you do need it.....

Bro'

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20193.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1896109  
Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM
K-H2o

Park- Great to see your set up !! I like the rollies for trecking all the gear!! Looking at yournumbers I would say youhave a bit of an underpoweredset up for the kv you have. It is allabout ballancing everthing. 60 amps on a 2848 motor is good ifyou have a small enough prop, or less kv onthe same prop or less kv and more cells etc.
I have what I would consider a pretty well ballanced high powered set up for the same size board. it is as follows : 100 amp esc ( Castle Creations ), 3650 2400 kv motor on 3 cells, or for small waves 2 cells, 29 mm prop x 1.4 pitch. I like to use electronic protection oil instead of a balloon on ESC. (ballloon on reciever) , but nothing can take the place of leak checking.

Kite- Nice vid. !!good to see Ya shredding.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:13 PM
InDaTube

Kite,

That is a wonderful video.........

I love the smooth flowing style, sweeping bottom turns and carved cutbacks......... emulates real open face high performance surfing.

Let me know when you are going to Cottons......... count me in most any time.

I installed my new Leopard 3674 / 1900kv motor......... works great. The 2200kv motor worked great with 4S batteries, but was just too much RPM with my 5S NanoTech's.

Larry

Old 06-29-2013, 02:18 PM
powerpark123

YPC / K H20 Yes you are right water got into the esc. Im going to seal it up next time. I did go a full year on it.
I feel I got my moneys worth out of it. I just ordered a 90 amp Seaking. 70 bucks
K H20 Yea that is my setup for the beach. Those Roll EZ wheel cart are sweet for rolling over the sand. Even the dog! LOL I now have two kyosho surfers. I will try your setup for surfer 2. I tried a brushed motor setup. Boy does that suck. Brushless is the way to go. So you like the Castle Creations esc. Where do you get balanced props of difference sizes? Here on the east coast we only have small waves. Thanks for all the info!
Old 06-29-2013, 05:42 PM
K-H2o

Park- I get my props,motors, and some hardwarefrom Offshore Electric http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...ries+1.4+PitchProps you have to sharpen and balance yourself,or you could try the carbon ones.Read cautionaboutworking with the Beryllium.
ESC'sI get from Tower. Castles are expensive but have great featureslike data logging. You can look at how well your set-up isrunning, temp, rpm, efficiency etc. plusyou're able to ultra custumize/ program yourset up from your computer. I am still running my first one and it is working great.

Thisweek had some great south swell and our usual spot was picking it up good. I gotback into sink with my board, something that comes and goes, mostlycomes with time in the water and goes over the winter when I am not RC surfing much. It is like I am on the board and I see the wave and can react like Iam surfing the wave, not think aboutdrivingmy toy. Really cool !! Thanks Hugh for the shots !!!

Aloha, Karl
Old 06-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Hughengland

Friday we had even better south swell on Maui - with some great sneaker sets, before the onshore winds chased us away.
Karl, Hugh & MJ had our last rc session with Mj before he immigrates to CA.
Did not get much photos coz I was busy surfing - here are a couple of Karl's waves

Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 AM
powerpark

K-H20  I will check out Off shore and tower. I watched a video how to sharpen and balance props. Looks like it really makes a difference. I just have to remember to keep my fingers away from the prop, Ouch! This is all kinda new to me. I used tekins and novaks esc for years. They don't have a line of marine esc. Telemetry is a awesome tool. I used it in my xray and 1/12 scale for gearing. Now I just have to understand prop pitch for boating. Thanks again for all the info. Good surfing to everyone. People still keep complementing me how much they like the rc surfing. Cant wait to get out and do it again!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:29 AM
YPC

Great to 'sea' the Maui Boy'z shredding......great pics....'in the zone'........Sorry for you guys, that MJ is leaving Maui........Maui is so synonamous with John......just wont sound right any other way....

Keep it going !....I'm heading out for a session late afternoon........

Bro'
Old 06-30-2013, 09:37 PM
K-H2o

Park- I am not actually talking about Telemetry. That is whereinfo isread out in real time and you view on a monitor of some sort. The Castle ESC's record the session ( data logging )and you look at it when you connect up to you computer later. You can set ontheirGui a wide range of specs like: timing degrees, frame rate, and cutoff volts etc.more so than with a program card most ESC's use.
I use aelliptical jewelersfileand then wet sand paper, then polishonmy props. a dremel will do too but it is harder to control. The main thing I do is get the trailing edge clean on the cast Berylliam props. It's kind of along job ifyou want to do it up reallynice. You need to not breathe the Berylliam dust so fileis easer to keep thatunder control.
You can make some real friends bysetting up alittlerelease systemfor your board and offering to take the fishermanslines out to seafor them. Just make sure youknow your range

I think that is John driving myboard in Hugh's latest photos. That day the swell was hitting our little spot harder than usual.Some sets had 7 to 8 ' faces.Most days it is half the size of otherspots but on fri. it was bigger than a lot of places. My little guy got beat up !!!

Happy trails!! Aloha, Karl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.