Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20 randomly quits, no spark???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:40 AM
kmalsom
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 20 randomly quits, no spark???

I need some advice on how to troubleshoot a DLE 20 that quits. I've had 4 dead sticks in 8 flights. I've been able to reproduce it on the ground a few times now. The engine just dies like I'm turning off the ignition. I bypassed the ignition switch and connected the battery directly to the ignition it still had quit. Right after it quits it won't restart even with an electric starter. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it the engine starts right back up. It's unpredictable if and when it will die. I've moved the wiring around trying to find a poor connection with no success. Before ordering a new ignition module I would like to make sure that's the problem. Any suggestions?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:27 AM
pilotpete2

Default RE: DLE 20 randomly quits, no spark???

The fact that cycling the power to the ignition module brings it back to life would make me suspect the module is failing, or even the Hall effect sensor, since that also is supplied with power.
These two items are great for troubleshooting RCexcel ignitions.
http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/e...test-kits.html
The ignition tester takes the place of the timing sensor, and allows you to continuously run the spark from a slow tick over to 10K RPM, without actually running the engine. With the piston down and the exhaust port open, you can clearly hear that the plug is firing, or not.
Good luck,
Pete
Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should always have a spare spark plug, ignition module and sensor available to avoid a wasted drive to the field when changing anyone of these is so simple. It’s worth the money to go out and get them. Dan.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:58 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had a club member go through spark issues yesterday. He said it will start sporadically, and shut down anywhere during the throttle range. He asked if I would look at it and of course I did. Short story, bad plug cap spring/clamp. I pulled it off squeezed it a good bit put it back on and told him to have a nice day. Those caps don't take much movement offwards to stop working, especially with some age.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:08 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I once had a new RCEXL ignition on an engine, and had tons of trouble getting it to start when cold. (No, it wasn't a fuel issue.) I tried another ignition on it and it started perfectly cold. I mentioned it to Bill from CH Ignitions, and he said to try a 6 volt battery pack on the problematic ignition. He said that sometimes a weak ignition unit would sneak through, and sometimes they responded to a bit more voltage. I tried it, and it worked perfectly.

So now that procedure is in my personal bag of trouble shooting tricks. Thanks again Bill!

AV8TOR
Old 06-27-2013, 08:40 PM
kmalsom

Thanks for all your input. I ran the engine today with the cowl off for about 20 minutes without a problem. Not surprised. I moved the wiring around hoping that that may show the problem. I made a test lead and the battery voltage was 5.8V while running but occasionally the volt meter would momentarily jump up to around 6.5V or higher. I'll check with CH Ignitions if they have a replacement ignition module. Otherwise I'll go to Valley View RC. I hope they have one that has a similar advance curve that allows for a slow reliable idle. I like the idea that I can get good support from either of them.

Keith
Old 06-28-2013, 03:56 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, ignition modules fail in many different ways. Mine would run great cold. As it warmed up it would start missing, then throttle transition started failing, then just die. Wouldnt restart until it cooled down. New module, no problems.
Edwin
Old 06-28-2013, 04:30 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

This is the age old question, what plug are you using?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:15 AM
kmalsom

I agree it's probably the ignition module. I'm using NGK CM-6 plug. I'm first going to try a module from another plane, fly high and see what happens.
Thanks, again,
Keith
Old 06-28-2013, 08:06 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The more I read about all the problems with a lot of all these engines of various brands, I think it would be better to get a good conversion RC engine from one of the guys that know this stuff in the first place. They know by experience what goes wrong & rebuild/convert them to be more trouble free................