Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Balancing 3 blade prop

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Balancing 3 blade prop

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 04:47 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Balancing 3 blade prop

I purchased the Dubro balancer and am very happy with it. The price is right and it is easy to use. But I'm having a problem I never got an answer too last time I got into this balancing thing. I'm getting conflicting information on where to sand. The only sure thing is to not sand the front. But I got one article that says sand the leading edge of blade and another article that says sand the back side [] So how am I suppose to decide which is correct, or if it even matters?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:06 PM
TFF

The face of the prop is the back side. Most say sand the back but the front is more right because it changed the thrust less when modified. It is really what can you get away with. I sand the front first and if I need a little more the face is fine. You dont want to change the camber on the face. My BUT is do what works for you.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:17 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's another tip, if you like. I use acetone to remove the finish from the front (i.e., label side) of the 'heavy' blade. In many cases, that's enough to bring a prop into balance. Then I shoot the entire blade with Krylon clear. Shooting the entire prop will protect the now-bare wood and by shooting the whole prop, it doesn't re-introduce balance problems.

As a bonus, when I look at a prop and see that the logo has been removed (from at least one blade) then I know that the prop has already been retouched.

Take the usual precautions when using something like acetone (ventilation, gloves, etc. Read the safety instructions on the can).

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 PM
splais

Do you realize that what you just wrote is about the most confusing thing I ever read. "The face of the prop is the back side"! What on earth does that mean?
Old 06-27-2013, 06:12 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

splais, I sand the front of the prop. Sanding the front is not going to have any effect on the pitch which is what is grabbing the air. For what it's worth the front for me is the side facing forward. BUT! In simple aeronautical terms the face is the flat side of the blade, in our use the side facing rearward.The following article covers props real well, http://www.experimentalaircraft.info...ropeller-2.php
Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 PM
splais

OK, so I have been unconfused at last. So the back actually faces front - go figure

PS: I guess a prop doesn't have a "front"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22055.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	1895699  
Old 06-28-2013, 06:35 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"The only sure thing is to not sand the front."

Since the prop is actually a small wing, that goes round and round; you want it to act like a wing, with the airflow being similar. Sanding the front, will change the airfoil, and thereby, the airflow.

Splais. I don't know where that picture came from, but I would argue with its definition. The camber is the underside, in my definition.

Les
Old 06-28-2013, 06:54 AM
splais

That picture came from the referenced article in the link a few posts above. Non of this is getting any clearer AT ALL. What should be a simple subject has gotten way to complicated

What I consider the "front" of the prop (which is the side of the blade facing forward) has the airfoil part of the prop and is what generates the lift (pull) of the prop. To me, this is not the part of the prop you would want to change much. The "back" of the prop which according to the article is actually the "face" is the part that cuts into the wind, but it is flat and it would seem sanding this side of the blade would have little effect on performance. Have no idea about the article that told me to sand the leading edge.

And I still don't have a link to something definitive on this.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:30 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: FlyerInOKC
Abufletcher, now that you have three blade balancing figured out how about tackling Schroeder's cat next?
Schrödinger's cat is quantum child's play next to balancing a prop!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92795.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1896022  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:33 AM
abufletcher

Here's link to an RCU discussion I started a while ago about balancing large props.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11332975
Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

I would consider "leading edge" and "front" to be two different things. I would consider the leading edge to be the sharp edge of the prop, where all the left over flash is; sand to remove that.

Les.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:59 AM
TFF

http://www.zingerpropeller.com/Ballance.html
http://www.apcprop.com/v/html/balancing.html
http://www.bolly.com.au/1998%20Bolly%20Book%20v3.pdf
http://masterairscrew.com/images/selecting_a_prop.pdf
here is some of what the prop makers say.