Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ultra cote and programming help

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ultra cote and programming help

Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 AM
daddyrabbit1234
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra cote and programming help

First question: Has anyone here ever attempted to cover a foam plane with ultra cote covering?Second question: I have an FMS 63" 6 channel P 47 Thunderbolt that has an engine brake on the prop so when the motor is throttled down the prop stops on a dime instead of coasting to a stop. The motor is an FMS-M-07 (4250-KV500). Does anyone know how to program this brake to turn it off? FMS doesn't show anything.Thomas
Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Ken Erickson

Default RE: Ultra cote and programming help

The motor brake is a function of the speed controller.

So far, all of my electric planes have come with an instruction sheet on programming the speed controller.

Other than that, you would need to re-check all written material that came with the plane to learn which speed controller you have. Then check their web site to try and find what to do.

Ken
Old 06-29-2013, 09:09 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Ultracote needs too much heat for most foam. Econocote is used that way sometimes, but most people just paint their foamies. Plastic covering can create warped that are hard to get out.
Your prop behavior is in the ESC, not the radio. Search for a manual for your ESC to find out how to change the settings.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Covering wise, it depends on the foam. I was setting up some seaplane supply floats, and they recommend econocoat or other low temp film. I didn't have any on hand and neither did the LHS.

I tried the Ultracoat on some scraps of the foam and found it held up to the temps needed for Ultracoat perfectly.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:04 PM
daddyrabbit1234

Ken, Thanks for the help. I didn't get a manual with the plane and I didn't find anything on they're website. I searched google and found someone on another rc forum who had the same problem and they had a diagram of the programming process for the brake. After several attemps and hundreds of beeps later I finaly got it straightened out. Someone told me the only time they had seen the brake function used was on sail planes with folding props. I cant figure out why they would pre program a p47 with the prop brake?Thomas
Old 06-29-2013, 12:10 PM
daddyrabbit1234

Thanks to the rest of you guy's for the ultracote advise. I'll get some econocote and give one a try. I've been painting my planes but it just takes too much time and sanding to get the result's I want. I'm sure I can find some wrecks from some of the club members to practice on. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thomas