Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 PM
bambambndt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

I have the T-Bone set (front/back with the wheelie bar.) No complaints here, haven't had any issues.

ORIGINAL: Enzyme80

Sweet - I will check them both out. This one looks a little close to the rear though, shouldn't it be further away?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Bukaloenis1215

Soooooo i'm new to this site and i can just say i love it already...I'm running a 21/87 gear ratio stock HPI Firestorm E-10T Flux with a 2S Lipo and i'm glad i bought this model..it has rained for about 3 days straight where i live and i have been running it outside all day over puddle through oceans and wet grass the thing is a monster..This is my first RC truck and i absolutely love it. Only issue i'm having now is i cannot get to the Spur / pinion gear because the screws have stripped out on me/ i don't have the right tool to re open it....Sadly i don't know the size key i would need for this..Also one question....I ordered 3.6 and 3.3 pd springs that i am going to put in soon to stiffen the ride up because i hate the way the skid-plates smash the ground/cement after a drop (Have the Firestorm raised pretty high too) so the question is..if i open the shocks, and fill the shocks with mineral oil, would that work the same way as regular oil shocks since i don't have a hobby shop near me and i would have to order it...(take some time, not patient) Or can i use regular motor oil? Thanks in advance
Old 06-20-2013, 02:17 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

you shouldn't need to open up the shocks to change out springs, there are clips on the bottoms that you can push up along the shaft and there's a slot in them that allows the to come off. Have you tried adding pre load to your springs (by turning the collars on the tops of the springs). The pinion screw should be a 1.5mm hex key if not it's a 1/16th. I'd bet it's a 1.5mm tho since HPI is pretty good about not mixing metric and SAE.

As for oil you'll need to get dedicated RC specific oil as slight changes in viscosity make a pretty big difference on this scale, i believe stock is 30 wt. Oil weights aren't like motor oil in terms of numbering. 10wt is very thin and 100 wt is pretty stiff.

You may want to pick up a bottle because you may not have any oil left in your shocks i forget if the stock shocks are leaky but you could be running dry.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM
nitro-rob

Welcome.  Glad you are enjoying the storm.  You need to used silicon based oils. The hydrocarbon based oils you suggested, in additional to what the 'Lug said about viscosity, are likely not compatible with the seals.  The truck is supposed to bottom on hard landings. 

Don't worry too much about the truck slapping on the ground (although the stock springs are a little light).  The suspensions job is to handle the brunt of the landing and get you back on track and bottoming is very common.    You don't want a super high ride height.  It will have a high centre of gravity and roll too much.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:17 AM
Bukaloenis1215

its not that i'm afraid of bottoming out, its just that i'm bottoming out off the smallest drops, maybe 6 inches? off a curb...but i have had the car for a bout a year now, haven't ran it that much..so how could i be dry? plus i checked for leaks.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:08 PM
rclugnut10

the shock oil can leak out over time i've had a set of shocks leak out over the course of a week before, you won't be able to see it the only way to know is by the feel of the suspension and if your parts feel slick or look wet around the shock but thats hard to pick up on as well...
Old 06-22-2013, 05:46 PM
nitro-rob

...or just take one nut off the top of the shock or the bolt on the bottom and unscrew the top of the shock and see whats inside.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 AM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

...or just take one nut off the top of the shock or the bolt on the bottom and unscrew the top of the shock and see whats inside.
That too it's been a while since i rebuilt the storms shocks and i'm used to my evaders which are bottom loading :P

the lug
Old 06-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Zufushiki

Hi,

I have now 22/87 pinjon & spur in my storm and 3750kv motor.

Its getting really hot, like 90c when battery driven empty.

What is wrong? 
Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 AM
mrmiro

That is hot, are you running 2s or 3s? How is your gear mesh, there may be some binding. How is the transmission, does it spin freely? What size tires you running. There is several factors to your heat issue.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Zufushiki

Yes, i know. That is too hot.

I have hpi ground assault 2,2", Esc Hobbywing wp60a with timing 0. No initial brakes, no drag brakes. 

its spins freely, have 10000wt diff oil and running with 2s lipo.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 PM
mrmiro

Did you try going to smaller pinion, back to stock 19T. Which with your setup, you should be fine, hmmmm.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Zufushiki

I have 17T pinion and putting it next time when i go racing.

Can slippery clutch do something, if its too tight?

Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 PM
mrmiro

Yes, a slipper plays a part, in the whole assembly, read in your manual on how to set it back to stock. I had my slipper once too tight and melted the plastic cup against the metal plates.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:40 PM
nitro-rob

Do you mean motor or ESC temperatures? You definitely should be cooler than that with that kv motor on either.  What motor is it?

How old is the motor?  I wonder if its got a bad bearing, it doesn't take much to generate a lot of heat and the bad bearing will be masked by the stiffness of the motor. Have you been driving in dirt and dust often?  It could also be full of dirt inside.  They need to be blown out from time to time. 

Did it run great for a long time and just start doing this?  Can you give details of the battery too?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Zufushiki

Motor is getting hot. Esc have fan.

Motor is psyclone hobby 8.5t 3750kv.

Its not very old. I have drive about 30 battery with it and its getting hot from first drive.

Now what i do first is change pinion to 17t and loosening slippery clucth.

I have first hobbywing ezrun 8.5t 4000kv and it was been around 70c.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 PM
nitro-rob

You may just have to gear down. 

At  8.5t and 3750kv, it may just be that the motor runs hot.  I've seen a few motors with an unconventional turn/kv rating and they ran hot.  For a tekin, novak, trinity etc... motor that is 8.5 turn is around 5000kv.  An under 4000kv motor would normally be 10.5 to 13.5 turn.  It kind of makes sense that a lower motor rating with the same number of turns would run hotter. 

Could be off my rocker, though.  Can anyone in the know chyme in?
Old 06-29-2013, 06:52 AM
Bukaloenis1215

SOooooooo yesterday i was driving my HPI Firestorm E-10T Flux, and the steering just stopped working..so i was like okay, lemme check the battery, it was almost dead. So i charged my lipo, and put my battery in and nothing.. Usually when i plug it in i hear beeps and if the steering isnt straight it auto straightens it. well i hear the beeps and everything, but it never auto straigtened it. the throttle works fine, just literally no steering. Any suggestions? everything is waterproof btw.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:49 AM
Zufushiki

i think that the servo has dead.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:05 AM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: Bukaloenis1215

SOooooooo yesterday i was driving my HPI Firestorm E-10T Flux, and the steering just stopped working..so i was like okay, lemme check the battery, it was almost dead. So i charged my lipo, and put my battery in and nothing.. Usually when i plug it in i hear beeps and if the steering isnt straight it auto straightens it. well i hear the beeps and everything, but it never auto straigtened it. the throttle works fine, just literally no steering. Any suggestions? everything is waterproof btw.
If you listen to the servo and try to turn the wheel can you hear what sounds like a small electric motor free spinning? If so sounds like you stripped the gears, i believe they still come with plastic ones stock. Either way a nice metal geared servo can be found for about $30, you shouldn't need anything more than 120 oz/in of torque but 80 should be fine if you can get something a bit faster. Either way it sounds like you do need a new servo if the gears aren't stripped...
Old 06-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Bukaloenis1215

Yeah no noise no nothing, just dead
Old 06-29-2013, 10:37 AM
nitro-rob

Do you have another RC to plug the servo into or a third channel to try?  Its likely dead, though but you should check to see if its the receiver channel to make sure.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:22 AM
rclugnut10

you could switch the esc and servo positions in the RX so esc in ch1 and servo in ch2 the esc should still drive the bec and then you'll be able to see if it's the rx or servo
Old 06-29-2013, 11:48 AM
nitro-rob

Oh yeah, forgot about that you don't have to worry about switching into the ESC slot....been driving too much nitro lately.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:40 PM
DriftingDragon

hey guys its been a while since i have been on
current setup: Reedy 4.5T 550 CC mamba Monster 26/87 2 reedy wolfpack 3000mah

i recently had it do a bit of a cart wheel and in the process i lost a drive shaft are there any other ones that fit like stock

my lhs has ordered them as well as the cv axles and the place that stocks them great planes i believe or what ever the dealer is has been having issues their system has been cancelling orders and doubling others i have also ordered a stock spur (currenlty using a tamiya) been waiting 2 months for it, has anyone else had these issues as well?

Last edited by DriftingDragon; 08-17-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.