Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tiger 1 Build and Health Update

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tiger 1 Build and Health Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:12 PM
torpedochief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger 1 Build and Health Update

Hello my Brothers!

Just recovered from a surgery that will at the least give me more time and at the most lead to remission. I do miss the morphine though. Okay on to the important sutff.

I am super duper detailing and modifing an old 2007 H/L TIGER 1. Thus far I have corrected the cenentering of the turret as described in the forum. It is so much easier than I thought. Both hull and turret mods were done in one sitting.

I am working to complete the upper and lower hull as soon as I get a few more detail parts. I am looking to find a used, broken, unneeded, unwanted or unloved turret top so I can modify my storage bin to the correct shape and size.

I did manage to find another metal main gun tube after I eroded and destroyed the original. (opps!) I also made a new engine cover. The correct one for the Mid-production has a triangle plate.

(I'll get some pics up soon.)

A special note about using the Atack Zimmerite (WOW!!!) This is the best zim there is. So very easy to work with. Amazing and worth every penny. This ket not only gives you zimm, but it gives you a new mantel withthe correct offset for the barrel. It also features a new turret side hatch and vision slits. For adhesion I used 3M spray 377 contact cement. Once down the zim becomes part of the hull.

This tank will be from the 3rd Companyofthe 101st Liebstandarte SS Adolf Hitler, as it appeared at the time of the Nomandy Campaign. I have wrestled and wrestled with the idea of putting in the clark board, but decided I would go with the SLU. I based that option on the fact that I really enjoy hearing the engine and track noises.

I would also at this time like to thank those of you who have been there for me during this bout with cancer. There were many times when I wanted to quit, but this hobby, you guys and of course Tiger Tanks, kept me going. Like me some you you my brothers served. Some did not. But to the man you all have the same grace kindness, caring and understanding that tankers have. I apperciate all you have done for me.

Don
Old 06-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Tiger 1 Build and Health Update

ORIGINAL: torpedochief

Hello my Brothers!

Just recovered from a surgery that will at the least give me more time and at the most lead to remission. I do miss the morphine though. Okay on to the important sutff.

LOL

you are the important stuff...lol
good to see that you got some upgrades on yourself and hope all works out Don
Old 06-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

that is one thing i like about the SLU the track noises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi6x...yer_detailpage
Old 06-29-2013, 06:50 PM
maintcoder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is great to hear from you Don... keep working on those tanks!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Don, glad to hear you are doing better!

I got to agree, the Atak Zim kits are wonderfulious for sure. Thanks for the tip on the 3M adhesive. I'll give it a try when I'm ready to use my zim.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:22 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome back to some active modeling Don. Looking forward to your wit and charm.

Cheers
Old 06-29-2013, 09:51 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is great news Don. We have a lot of new people on the RCU tank forums that need your guidance and expertise. Please share some pix if you can. We will continue to pray for you. let me know is you need any HL Tiger I parts pal. Gratis as usual, if I have them.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Triton-50

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Don

Glad your a bit better, and, very good to see you back on here mate.

I love Tigers too, Doing a Pre Production "Leningrad" Tiger 1 myself, HL of course!

All the Best from Scotland

Stu Aka Triton