Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Old 06-17-2013, 02:24 PM
luckyflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Actually I have some black decals ordered to go on the wing tops. On a hazy day it disappears in a turn.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Gixxy
My Feedback: (18)

Just a quick vid of a maiden this weekend. Fun plane

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cBdhQgSo-4&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Old 06-26-2013, 04:11 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice flying. Here is a nice vid I made on a 400 ft runway, was like flying off a trampoline, way more drag than grass. Tons of drag couldnt steer. Made of upside down astroturf over sand. I have the 3rd person view I'll post too, I have my knife edges down. Easiest jet I've every flown. Though I've only flown 3!@

One thing nice is how tough the gear are. Makes me look good since I dont have a POS jet that has the retracts rip out all the time and people talking smack about it. My f-86D would of lost the gear on that runway for sure.

EDIT for anyone that is wondering, yes I took off left hand pattern and landed right. The wind switched up on me right on take off, I took off taiilwind.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo1ngaTiDMo[/youtube]
Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Aussie1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice video, I'm doing the maiden flight on mine tomorrow, so hopefully goes as well as yours did!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13175.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	1895719  
Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Luck
Old 06-28-2013, 11:49 AM
essyou35

Hey aussie, good luck. If it goes good or bad,as long as you flew it yourself no one can say jack. Flying your own jets for maiden takes balls and I know people who dont do it and talk smack at that!

Oh and if you built yourself even better. I pity those who dont build And dont maiden. If only they knew how stupid they are when they talk smack to those of us who do both LOL.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Aussie1

ORIGINAL: essyou35

Hey aussie, good luck. If it goes good or bad,as long as you flew it yourself no one can say jack. Flying your own jets for maiden takes balls and I know people who dont do it and talk smack at that!

Oh and if you built yourself even better. I pity those who dont build And dont maiden. If only they knew how stupid they are when they talk smack to those of us who do both LOL.
Hi, I have always done my own maidens, and if it goes wrong, then I only have myself to blame! I picked up this jet as a total write off, but have now rebuilt it to good as new. I had to virtually start from scratch, so possibly more work than a kit. It's come out at 22lbs and I have put my kingTec K80F, rated at 21lbs thrust, so should be enough. I have also followed all of the guide lines as set out on this thread, so now no more excuses!! I'm taking my Falcon120 up as well to our field, so will have a couple of flights on that before I fly the Viper. I find it a good way to to settle my nerves!! Here is a link to my local club, and with our sealed runway, is a great place to fly jets.

http://www.ama.org.au/jet_action.html
Old 06-28-2013, 07:49 PM
essyou35

nice club man. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Aussie1

Maiden flight went extremely well! Will post some more pics soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3xYWupguOF0
Old 06-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Jeremy_D

Nice flight!! Congrats!

I heard one of the guys comment on it floating on your landing. We have found on the one we are flying at our club that the crow really helped it settle and sink, you should give it a try.

Ill be taking mine to Temora so I might see you there??

Congrats again on the successful maiden flight

Cheers

Jeremy
Old 06-29-2013, 10:05 PM
cosmo21

Maidened mine today with complete success,

Everything that was said about this plane is true. It rocks.

Matt
Old 06-29-2013, 10:58 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well done guys!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Jeremy_D

Congrats Matt
Old 06-30-2013, 12:31 AM
cosmo21

Thanks bro, it's a really good jet. Very easy to handle.
I used the settings from Mike, which I beleive are yours. I left them all on low rates. No flaps for take off, dont need them. We got 300 meters of beautiful grass.
I used the standard tank position, worked well, and 37 mm aft of centre of spar for cg. perfect. Using the T 12, nice.
I cant say anything different from what has already been saind before.

Rock on \m/

Matt
Old 06-30-2013, 12:54 AM
Jeremy_D

Hi Matt,

Yep if it is the pdf doc with the voda viper they are my settings.

Have a go with the take off flaps next time, I found it gets of a bit quicker but other than that they are not needed.

Cheers

Jeremy
Old 06-30-2013, 02:39 AM
Aussie1

ORIGINAL: Jeremy_D

Nice flight!! Congrats!

I heard one of the guys comment on it floating on your landing. We have found on the one we are flying at our club that the crow really helped it settle and sink, you should give it a try.

Ill be taking mine to Temora so I might see you there??

Congrats again on the successful maiden flight

Cheers

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy, it did float a bit on landing, but that was me being a little cautious on the first flight being hot and high. My JR 11x radio has 11 channels, but the RX that came with it has only 9 channels. I need to buy a 11 channel RX so that I can use crow. At the moment the flaps and ailerons are joined through the power box. I have a couple of pics of my install. I removed most of the inlet duct and mounted a 2 litre juice bottle over the CG and a 600ml tank behind the spar in series with the 300ml air trap and the main tank. This results in almost zero movement of the cg as fuel burns off.Also, a slight positive stance on take-off results in a jet that takes off almost by itself. Can't wait to fly it again but will be in Hawaii for the next few weeks, so will have to wait till I get back. Congratulations to Matt and the other Viper maiden pilots, unreal jet and easier to fly than my Falcon 120!! Jeremy, I hope to get to Temora, but my daughter turns 18 that week, so will have to see how that works out!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20558.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	1896397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36120.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	1896398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61459.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	1896399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi17042.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	1896400  
Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 PM
jetmodeller

Hi All I now have 8 flights on my Viper,what a great model,i am having a slight issue with the main oleos in that they bottom out with full tanks,having had a look at the springs,which consist of two springs one inside the other and filled with a clear very sticky type grease (would like to know what it is) I have added a second section of spring to the outer one which has helped.I have tried putting air in the oleo but that does not make any difference,any body had the same issues and found a fix??? regards Keith
Old 07-01-2013, 01:02 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless the air is leaking out, you should see a difference when adding air. Do not screw the nipple all the way in or it will not let the check valve work. I had to use my little elec. Air compressor to get the air forced in. Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Jeremy_D

Hi Keith,

The mains should also have shock oil in the bottom part of the oleo. I put up some photos earlier on in the thread that show the way they look and where to fill the oil to which might help. Are you saying you have springs that run the whole way of the oleo?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 AM
jetmodeller

Hi Keith,

The mains should also have shock oil in the bottom part of the oleo. I put up some photos earlier on in the thread that show the way they look and where to fill the oil to which might help. Are you saying you have springs that run the whole way of the oleo?
Hi yes I have two springs one short which is the outer and a long inner spring,what was the post no of your photos regards Keith
Old 07-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Jeremy_D

Just found them, Post 236 on page 10
Old 07-07-2013, 11:27 AM
jetmodeller

Just found them, Post 236 on page 10
Hi had a look at mine and it seems that I have one oleo with a air valve and one with out!!!!How ever I have added a 20mm length of outer spring to both legs and that has cured the bottoming out with full tanks problem. On another problem I got a puncture in one main tyre which went flat with some zap I managed to repair the puncture but after another flight it went again on landing.As a stop gap for the time being I have fitted some BVM solid tyres 68mm dia which fit the hubs with a little work on the inner diameter,i removed half a mm of rubber on the lathe and am now able to get flying again.The original tyres are very thin and would not last that long on concrete ok on grass I would think regards Keith
Old 07-16-2013, 07:11 AM
essyou35

Well this thread is scrolling off the end so thought I would bump it.

I flew my viper jet about a month ago in 30+ MPH winds. Flying went well but I was suprised on how much it bounced on landing. I sat down ok but when I tried to flair up it went again. Got into a nasty bounce cycle and knife edged about 1 foot up. She came down ok after that but that wind is a little much. I think its stall speed is less than 30mph. I think it took off in 50 feet!

Well with the way the winds are here I'm going to get plenty of practice.

BTW, with 96oz of fuel and a K100, I can fly 7 mins if I keep it mostly at half throttle and fly like a Grandma. My normal flying puts it at 6 minutes with about 20 oz of fuel left on landing. So far have 15 gals of kero through it!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Bob_B

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

There were a couple of the at JOK. The guy from Omaha flew the heck out of his! Very Impressive.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:46 AM
essyou35

Well bob lets see the pics.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.