Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

New plane doesn't fit in bed of truck

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

New plane doesn't fit in bed of truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:40 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New plane doesn't fit in bed of truck

Its why I just picked up a 6x10 enclosed trailer........thats my project right now. Once my current kit inventory included planes that exceeded my hauling capacity, I had to go to the trailer.

Dave
Old 06-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rover1newton

Oh I wish I could just tell them that but they are by the book and on the second notice they fine you. I was looking around for an enclosed trailer and found a few 6x10 enclosed trailers for around 2500. I think ill build a cradle for the truck and put it in tail first. If that doesn't quite work out I guess ill just go get a trailer and use the cradle in the trailer to minimize the potential of it moving around. So it could be a win-win situation. First build cradle and if it doesn't work out so well I could still use it in a trailer. There was a stand that had a gas strut on it that could be mounted in a trailer or truck anyone know where I could get one?
If you decided to go the trailer route, don't get a 6 x 10 because you will rapidly discover 2 things about it. First it is not enough trailer and second you will desperately wish you had a larger one.

I started with a 5x10 utility and we welded up a frame and skinned it in v-crimp roofing using rivets to attach it. The top was very heavy and that made the wife tell me to get rid of it after 17 years. I made the mistake of getting a 6 x 12 and really wish I had gotten at least a 6x14. A 7x 14 would have been nice, but there are some technical issues there (electric brake controllers not installed on my tow vehicle). The cost difference is only a couple of hundred dollars but the expanded utility is priceless.

Should you decide to go the trailer route, send me a note and I will shoot you some pictures of how I fixed up the inside of my 6 x 12 V nose trailer to carry lots and lots of aircraft. It currently has 4 birds in it because I have finally discovered that it is better to store them there than try to fit them in my shop or garage. Two of them are Giant Scale, and I have room for more (covering a Gere Sport now). Ventilation is a must. Don't get barn doors because they swing in the wind unexpectedly and break things and a ramp is easy to carry stuff up and down and is easier on arthritis.

BTW, I got mine from an outfit in GA for about 2350 and that INCLUDED torsion bar axle kit, side door, back ramp, under the floor spare, electric brakes (I don't use yet), a jack pad, stabilizer stands and led lights. My old trailer taught me that spring axles beat the hell out of your planes. When I ordered the axle kit the contact asked if I really had to have it because only folks carrying fragile stuff got torsion axles. I wish I had gotten a larger unit and I would suggest spending the extra $200 for insulation, though you can probably put some in yourself.

I put in a 3/4 inch floor over the factory floor so I could screw into it with no bad thoughts, 2X4 posts at 2 foot stations with 11/16 sanded holes drilled into them at 1 inch intervals and angled to carry the 1/2 electrical conduit that can carry a 40 pound airplane and gets sheathed in pipe insulation. Oh, I used screw inserts so all the uprights and the work desk I built can be removed with a screwdriver.

If you do some serious searching I am sure you can find who I am talking about and make a deal with them that would include delivery (which isn't cheap). I ordered mine, drove from San Antonio Texas to get it and back. Right now my total investment INCLUDEING all costs of acquisition (gas, hotel, food, taxes, tags and purchase price) and conversion to an airplane trailer are around $3200. I think I will be able to get the next 2 or 3 big birds into it with no serious challenge just some planning of where to screw down their chocks. I will probably put in a solar system in the next year as I have already (included in the $3200) installed a 2000w inverter.

A 6 x12 or 14 OR a 7x12 or 14 will fit into a garage space.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the Sukhoi ever fit into a 6' truck bed? My 3.1M SU 26 is 116" from the tip of the spinner to the tip of the rudder.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:20 PM
enforcer158
My Feedback: (17)

Aloha Rover1newton.
I have several planes (giant stick, superstearman, etc) that don't quite fit in the bed of my Toyota x-runner, I usually bring at least three planes to our flying field...Ok, I'll get to the point, what I made and might be a suggestion for you to think about is; using 3/4" pvc pipe from the local hardware store, I made me a small rack to fit inside of the bed (4'w X 6'l x 2-1/2 ' tall, and my planes sit on the rack just above the bed. rack is secured to the bed and planes are secured to the rack, the way I made it gives me storage under for other items; pop up tent, chairs etc.
Sorry I don't have any pics to show you the rack, but it works!! I Hope this helps.
Mahalo from Kauai, Hawaii
Sincerely, Mike
Old 06-30-2013, 11:54 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is one solution. 300 bucks for the whole thing, and 3 days work. Working on doors now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55352.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1896629  
Old 07-01-2013, 02:57 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Smart, homemade trailer. I wish I had those abilities
Old 07-01-2013, 06:18 AM
desertrider49
My Feedback: (5)

I made simple, cheap, wood braces to go against the front of the bed. Then cut out a slot for the landing gear and held the plane in place with bungee chords to the front. The towels protect the painted landing gear from being scratched. velcro dots holds the brace to the front wall of the bed. Then I made the brace for the back.
You also need to hold down the tailgate with a couple motorcycle straps from the edge of the tailgate to the bottom of the bumper.
The other tool you will need is a long dowel with a hook in the end tohook and unhookthe bungee chords onto the landing gear.
The straps for the rudder and elevators are out of lexan, I made my first set out of aluminum strap which worked well also. Some window trim seal in the middle to protect the plane and you're in buisness. Masking tape also works for the rudder but leaves a residue, and it seems the elevators don't move up to 70 mph.
I remove my spinner for transportation, don't want to ruin an expensive carbon fiber spinner.......

good luck
Desertrider49

Name:	Lj22562.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	1896691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28346.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	1896692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86139.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	1896693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44742.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	1896694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27828.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	1896695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd45300.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	1896696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc56640.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	1896697  
Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Rover1newton
My Feedback: (15)

Thanks guys for all the ideas... i just got done chopping up the plane to send the pieces to Horizon so they can send out the new one asap. So, when i get the replacement i get to start all over again... YAY They wanted me to chop out the center section from the fuse and the inner part of both wings. Which i can understand that for one it would render the plane un-flyable and second reduce shipping cost. So far Horizon has been awesome and they stand behind their products... Just unfortunate that i got probably the ONLY one that was dorked up from the factory.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:27 PM
2robinhood

I made a platform the extends my tailgate a little.
Platform locks in the gap between the end of the bed and the tailgate.
I then hold it in place with a racket strap.
I haul my 43% Edge and my 3.1M Sukhoi all the time in my 6 1/2 foot bed

Name:	DSCN0952_zpsd70f1019.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1915306   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0953_zpscf45bdda.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1915307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130817_083414_017.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	1915308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130817_083405_382.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1915309  
Old 10-20-2013, 08:56 AM
DaleJEckart
My Feedback: (5)

I wonder what it would cost to buy an old, used camper top for the truck and gut it... then rebuild it for r/c use?
Old 10-20-2013, 09:35 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

my pick up has one of the lift up tops can only fit a 5 1/2 long body in it my wing it 7ft 8inches the truck body is 5 ft now what