Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flying Wing

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 AM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Wing

Has anyone had any dealing with the flying wing [Lighting Dart] sold by General Hobbies. We have one with a OS 55 and it won't get off of the ground. Motor is screaming with a 12/6 pusher prop
Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flying Wing

Have to ask this.........are you sure you have the prop mounted correctly ? If it is a pusher prop the stamped markings on the prop should face the rear . If it's a standard prop the markings should face the front.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 AM
bob62

I have and was told to face the writing to rear, will turn prop around and try. Thanks Bob
Old 07-01-2013, 10:48 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If this airplane is a pusher with a standard rotation engine shaft pointing to the rear you cannot use a standard propeller no matter which way it faces. You have to use a pusher prop which I believe you noted and the stamped markings (in the case of APC) of that 'P' prop must face to the rear as noted above.

Also note the labels or stampings are not uniform among some brands so be careful here but at any rate its easy to simply turn it around. That actually was used in the past with some free flight as well as controlline airplanes, it was easy to just turn a standard prop around if too much thrust was produced. Done often in the days of rudder only if throttle was not avalible.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 AM
bob62

Thanks John
Old 07-01-2013, 11:30 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting a flying wing to rotate is difficult. There is no prop wash over the controls and the control surfaces are close to the main gear so there is poor leverage.

First alter the position of the main gear backwards to the point that the model almost tips back.

Next lengthen the nose leg to give a very slight nose up angle

Finally give yourself some extra up on the elevons. It is wise to have dual rates set and lots of expo.

But you might find that you need to know the position of a suitable 'bump' in your field to help the nose up. I used to fly a pusher Vulcan for someone and that was the only way I could get it off the gound, it was not underpowered it just would not 'unstick' on a grass field.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 PM
bob62

John, this is a Zinger 12-6 pusher prop, is it the same