Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

DA-50R - no spark

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

DA-50R - no spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 05:44 PM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DA-50R - no spark

I have an aerobatic airplane powered by a DA-50R. A couple of weeks ago I misjudged a landing and came down just short of the threshold in the tall grass and standing water; the plane threw up a big sheet of water as it touched down, then flipped onto its back.

Immediately afterwards I was unable to start the engine. I put that down to a wet spark plug boot. However, I am still unable to start the engine. I've eliminated the receiver, ignition kill and switch from the equation by connecting the ignition battery (A123 6.6V 2200 mAh) directly to the 5.2V voltage regulator. With the plug out and in the cap I'm not getting any spark.

I would appreciate some advice on how to proceed.... thanks.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:57 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: DA-50R - no spark

How fast are you turning the hub across the sensor? DA ignitions require a minimum RPM to activate. I don't recall what it is but it will not spark at a slow rotation like the chinese ignitions will.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

200rpm

If that water got into it you can try some WD40 but you're probably going to end up replacing the igniton
Old 07-01-2013, 11:15 AM
grosbeak

I went down to my workshop to try a few tests. Now, according to Albert Einstein, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I, however smart, am no Einstein, so I started by repeating the spark test I did at the field yesterday. In my defense it is darker in the shop with the lights off, so it wasn't like I was doing the EXACT same thing over and over again.

It sparked! It sparked with the plug against the block, it sparked with the plug not against the block, and it sparked when I reconnected the physical switch and the ignition kill. And when I took it outside, trying not to raise my hopes too high, it started!

I'm happy and have visions of dollar bills floating back into my wallet, but I'm also a little confused. Of course, this isn't the first time I've used the ol' take-it-apart and put-it-back-together approach to something that wouldn't go, and it's not the first time that approach has worked. But I welcome your theories as to why it works now and didn't work yesterday.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

It works because you didn't let the smoke out.

It didn't work before, because the water (heh...) dampened it's enthusiasm. Temporarily.

Dave Olson