Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate question - when does it make sense to go gas from glow???

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

The Ultimate question - when does it make sense to go gas from glow???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:03 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Ultimate question - when does it make sense to go gas from glow???

ORIGINAL: iskandar taib

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

By the way, do you use the Ester type of oil or the PAG type in your fuel. Or is it straight castor oil?
Just curious - which brands of oils are the esters? I was given a can of triester-based synthetic oil by a friend who worked for Castrol, he said it made really good high nitro 1/2-A fuel but be sure to watch for flakes, which, if they appeared, you'd have to strain out of the fuel before use.

You would need the ones that are miscible with methanol, of course..

Iskandar
There is an older thread discussing this subject (I found it after asking the question here) in RCUniverse. In conclusion, it was quite a complicated subject (aren't they all?!) and turns out the Ester oils that are miscible in methanol are supposed to be a blend of PAG (what most synthetic glow fuels use) with some Ester additives. At least that is what I got out of it. I am still searching for more info and availability in the US. It was mentioned that Puch Aerosave/Aerosynth are THE oil to have for glow/methanol and are available in Europe. Of course, for gas, it is a non-issue, just use a good brand of oil. Sorry I couldn't help more, I am still in the early stages of searching this subject.

But if you can get this super oil and use less percentages in glow fuel (10-15%), it would be a big boost for glow.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM
MTK

Default RE: The Ultimate question - when does it make sense to go gas from glow???

ORIGINAL: earlwb
it is around $15 a gallon if you use aviation fuel.

Not true!. I use Avgas and it costs about 7.25 a gallon mixed with Bel Ray MC1 motorcycle synthetic at 1:50 ratio. Bel Ray is some of the more expensive syn oil you can buy. Redline for example costs about 25% less......I know Aviation gasoline price varies with region but I've never seen it vary by twice.

As I mentioned before, operating cost isn't necessarily the main driver, not for me anyway. And I don't forget the fact that equal gasoline volume runs the engine twice aslong as glow does so the effective cost is halved.

To me, the total lack of maintenance for years at a time, the simple, easy field manners and the power output are the main drivers. But again, for engine displacement smaller than about 20cc, it probably makes less sense to run gas, but maybe not. I don't have anything smaller than 30cc in gas, although I just purchased the VVRC 40 twin which is 2 20's back to back, for evaluation.....Very curious as to what this little mill can do
Old 06-28-2013, 09:17 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you pipe the crankcase breather back to the inlet manifold, you will have a much, much cleaner installation.

Here is a pic of my Saito .45, with just such an installation. A nipple is soft-soldered into the inlet manifold. All my engines are similarly adapted.

When the engine is running, you can see the oil flow. I reckon that there is a degree of recirculation going on ... consequently, I use @ 13:1 mix. Seems to work just fine.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26973.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1895827  
Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Thanks My key board made the mistake forgot the 4 in the $.50 for $4.50 with the oil. Correction Noted. In Point SE Wisconsin is fron $3.75 to $3.37 Last week was almost $4/gal
Old 06-28-2013, 01:15 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

Thanks My key board made the mistake forgot the 4 in the $.50 for $4.50 with the oil. Correction Noted. In Point SE Wisconsin is fron $3.75 to $3.37 Last week was almost $4/gal
A few of us were starting to pack up and move to your town thinking of that 50 cent/gal gas.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:25 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

As soon as possible!!! Depends on the application, for giant scale its a must but now gas engines are getting smaller. My .60 tf p-40 has a dle 20 in it, at 12lbs shes a screamer at 1/2 throttle. Gas engines are more efficient and in most cases cost less than a glow engine. You can use smaller gas tanks because they just sip the fuel. I can get 45 minutes of flight time on one tank in most of my planes. I do have a few nitroplanes left but if I buy a new model a gas engine is always considered first.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:13 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My main problem with gasoline or model diesel fuel for that matter is the smell or odor that comes off of it. I think it is the winter mix that gets me the most with the odor emanating from the gasoline. But now since I have been messing around with gas engines more this past couple three years it is becoming less annoying though. But I used to hate going to the gas station to fill up the lawnmower's gas container as it stunk so much for the trip home. I had to drive home with the windows in my car open.  But I guess I am getting more used to it now. But it is still quite annoying on a calm day, stop at a stop light where there are some gas stations nearby and you have to smell all those gasoline fumes emanating from them.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:52 AM
hsukaria

My main problem with gasoline or model diesel fuel for that matter is the smell or odor that comes off of it. I think it is the winter mix that gets me the most with the odor emanating from the gasoline. But now since I have been messing around with gas engines more this past couple three years it is becoming less annoying though. But I used to hate going to the gas station to fill up the lawnmower's gas container as it stunk so much for the trip home. I had to drive home with the windows in my car open. But I guess I am getting more used to it now. But it is still quite annoying on a calm day, stop at a stop light where there are some gas stations nearby and you have to smell all those gasoline fumes emanating from them.

Yeah, I stayed away from gas all this time until last year because of the smell. When guys at the field start flying a bunch of gassers together, it gets real "fumey" and I sometimes get teary-eyed from the gasoline fumes while trying to fly. My favorite fuel smell is 0% nitro glow fuel.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:15 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try a mask over your nose and mouth>>?
Old 06-29-2013, 12:02 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Like this guy at the club who wears latex gloves when he handles his glow engines? Maybe he should go electric!!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:21 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

My main problem with gasoline or model diesel fuel for that matter is the smell or odor that comes off of it. I think it is the winter mix that gets me the most with the odor emanating from the gasoline. But now since I have been messing around with gas engines more this past couple three years it is becoming less annoying though. But I used to hate going to the gas station to fill up the lawnmower's gas container as it stunk so much for the trip home. I had to drive home with the windows in my car open. But I guess I am getting more used to it now. But it is still quite annoying on a calm day, stop at a stop light where there are some gas stations nearby and you have to smell all those gasoline fumes emanating from them.

Yeah, I stayed away from gas all this time until last year because of the smell. When guys at the field start flying a bunch of gassers together, it gets real ''fumey'' and I sometimes get teary-eyed from the gasoline fumes while trying to fly. My favorite fuel smell is 0% nitro glow fuel.

I love the smell of nitro glow fuels, as it reminds me of my automotive racing days. I love the smell of Avgas, because it reminds me of the days when I could afford to rent and fly 100% scale airplanes. Ah, the good old days....

I don't like the smell of today's gasoline, as it reminds me that it is definitely not the high octane fuel we used to be able to buy, and that we used to be able to build high compression engines to run on the street but can't any more. Today's gas isn't even good to wash parts with; it will hardly melt grease!

AV8TOR
Old 06-30-2013, 05:52 AM
earlwb

You would have to use one of those carbon filter masks like they use for spray painting stuff.
Not exactly comfortable for everyday use though.

The other issue with the fumes and odor is when I need to work on a gas engine or plane and bring it inside the home. I need to announce my intentions ahead of time, so that my wife can announce that she is going to the mall for the afternoon. Obviously it gets much more expensive to use and fly gas engine powered planes then. People fail to take such things into account such as the additional non-related side costs.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 AM
[email protected]

i leave my gas planes stay outside in a shed for 2 days that way the smell goes away>> but it cost me 2.00 for 1/2 gal fuel 75 cents for 2 oz oil and i fly 2 months on it but the nitro cost me 18.00 a gallon and fly the same time dont know what to say to people who would like gas and cant stand the smell of gas i dont like it the smell but i fly 3 gas planes
Old 07-01-2013, 09:22 PM
bcchi

i leave my gas planes stay outside in a shed for 2 days that way the smell goes away>> but it cost me 2.00 for 1/2 gal fuel 75 cents for 2 oz oil and i fly 2 months on it but the nitro cost me 18.00 a gallon and fly the same time dont know what to say to people who would like gas and cant stand the smell of gas i dont like it the smell but i fly 3 gas planes
Use Ave gas,it doesn't smell and will store for months.
BC
Old 07-02-2013, 04:58 AM
earlwb

I became more used to it, it doesn't bother me so much now. But in the past it was very bothersome.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Phoenex

I became more used to it, it doesn't bother me so much now. But in the past it was very bothersome.

Perhaps, since I have managed a full service gas station and have owned and drove carburetored cars, gas smell never has bothered me. The worst smell ever for me was when they first brought out unleaded fuel being used with the firstcatalytic converters. These cars produced a powerful scent of rotten eggs.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 AM
josephcraig

correct me if i'm wrong,but they make scent you can put in your fuel mix to take the odor away..i have been thinking about getting some and trying it...
Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 AM
[email protected]

yep your right i got it for my race car about 5 yrs ago works good