Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Dirty Birdy ARF

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Strega1
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dirty Birdy ARF

On another note:

I bought a "Mach 1" already built and glassed. The problen is the engine mounting beems. The only engine that I have and that fits in the engine well is a K&B .61 gold head that I bought about 10 years ago. I would like to have more power than what this engine can provide. I don't want to tear up the fuse engine compartment. I have a Rossis, ABC Foxes and YS .110 but neither of this engines fit the engine well. Does anyone know of some other engines that will fit this airplane.

I boght a set of electrick retract for my Dirty Birdie ARF and they fit and work great. This bird will be using a Rossi side exhaust with a pipe from Rich Verano at YS.

Can anyone help?

Thanks ....Ben
Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 PM
energyman
My Feedback: (2)

Ben,

I have used the Lee Custom K&B gold head on my World Models Intruder. I rebuilt the plane and installed a radial mount. When I ordered the engine, I had the engine pipe timed. I have used it with the new style muffler with the baffle removed and was able to get 13,200 rpm with an APC 11x7. I installed the blue Jett-Stream muffler that Horizon sells for the EVO 60 and turned the same prop at 13,750 rpm. Not quite as well as a Rossi, but the K&B weighs about 7 ounces less than the large crankcase 61's.I hadto ream the muffler holes in the crankcase to accommodate the Jett-Stream due to the slight difference in the muffler mounting holesand I had to use a 1/2 inch extension between the muffler and engine to clear the fuselage. Good luck with your choice.

Energyman
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question for you guys with flight time on the DB ARF. How is the stock engine thrust (down/right) working? Mine will be electric and will actually be shortening the cowl to match original by gluing in a new nose ring about 1/2" behind the original and then cutting away everything in front. Yes, it will make the nose ring slightly bigger but that is ok with me. just curious how the stock thrust is working for everyone before I start setting up the motor and cowl.

Thanks
Woodie
Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Strega1
My Feedback: (7)

Hello Energyman,

Thank you for this fine and useful information. I do have a Gold head K & B with the K & B tune muffler. I will use it. You have given me new hope.

Ben Cubillos
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM
dooleyje

Hey guys I just received my DB,, actually I snagged it of the shelf at the store. The arf looked real good and the hinging was in line with no bent control surfaces. The usual wrinkles in the covering. The canopy area looks like it has been beefed up and is not soft at all. I will be using an OS .61 on pipe and mech retracts. I also have an Atlas and a Compensator and have never flown any Bridi birds. I look forward in the set up and flying.

Back in the old days I flew P6 and P8s and the great ROSSI with pipe through the fuselage.

Jim
Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 PM
kochj

Hey guys....

I have been eyeing this plane for some time.... but have to clear out some others first....

I have a novarossi REX60 in mind....with rear exhaust.

This is a updated .. R.60 Speed engine... used in pattern planes of the past....

Is there room for a pipe if engine is installed inverted????
Or would the engine sit strait up and drop the pipe down???

http://www.novarossi.it/2012/index.p...-speed_13.html

http://www.smtdistributing.com/SMT-E...61SPEED-13.htm

300$ is very inexspensive for a plane like this....
Old 06-27-2013, 04:20 AM
Skylane
My Feedback: (3)

I am using the stock setup for the thrust line and it appears to be correct - no trim issues. I have 135 flights on it so far using a pumped OS 61 SF.

Jeff
Old 06-27-2013, 06:17 AM
hrrcflyer

ORIGINAL: kochj

Hey guys....

I have been eyeing this plane for some time.... but have to clear out some others first....

I have a novarossi REX60 in mind....with rear exhaust.

This is a updated .. R.60 Speed engine... used in pattern planes of the past....

Is there room for a pipe if engine is installed inverted????
Or would the engine sit strait up and drop the pipe down???
Hey Kochj,

Read back through this thread. One of the followers put a blue head NR rear exhaust in his DB. He left the motor side mounted and just mounted the pipe to the fuse, but he did have to make a slight modification to the firewall so the header would clear the fuse. Personally, I like this setup because you can easily remove the wing for transport without having to deal with the pipe.

Take care,
David
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 AM
kochj

Hello...

Thankyou for the responce..
I had taken the time to run through the posts and found that install....( I should have just taken a bit of time to do it before I posted the q's...sorry...)

"no air chambers or skupercharging of any kind" Means any of the YS 4-stroke engines can NOT be used?????

That is a let down.... as a smaller engine uses less fuel ect. ect...

Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 AM
hrrcflyer

Kochj,

Please don't apologize for your questions, it is truly not necessary. I have seen on many occasions where you have helped out many other people in different threads on different websites. Everybody in this forum has been very helpful to me and I was just trying to pay it forward in the small way I can.

If you are referring to the SPA (Senior Pattern Association), then you are correct. They do not allow Superchargers or retracts to fly. However there are two other groups that not only allow them, they encourage them. They are the CPA (Classic Pattern Association) and the BPA (Ballistic Pattern Association) so don't give up on your desire to use your YS's.

Good luck and take care,
David
Old 06-27-2013, 11:02 AM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

kochj-

This is correct, the CPA allows the pumped engines since they were used when the airplanes were in service used them at the time.

Retracts and pipes are not required, but add to the fun!!!!

Electrics were used in "our" genre as well.

We should talk and get another CPA event moving in MN!

Brian
Old 06-28-2013, 10:12 AM
kochj

Heck yah! ( not sure that I spelled that correctly)
Old 06-28-2013, 11:22 AM
jet22b

I do love the updated Novarossi 61s. I just place my order for one!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-28-2013, 11:49 AM
hrrcflyer

Hey Sonny,

Are you going to put yours in a DB too?

Take care,
David
Old 06-28-2013, 12:25 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

Hey Sonny,

Are you going to put yours in a DB too?

Take care,
David
David;
Yes I am!!!! I have 2 DB's and they are power by OS .61FX and they have both been clock at 108 mph on low level passes. I had a Ross back in the days and it was a sweet running engine and I am happy they are still around. When I do get the engine, I will post picture here of how it looks on the plane!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 07-02-2013, 06:56 AM
kochj

pitstop000

I have seen on many radios the needle mixture/throttle control mixes... but haven't thought about doing so...

I have a engine that could benefit from this as it would foul plugs and have some other issues when using a pipe....

Is a setup like that nec. when using the .61? or is a added option that gives you more control???

I get a bit nervous doing something like that... EXP... the servo doesn't have the finite control to make the adjustment ect ect....

Have you done this in the past????

Is the micro servo mounted on the other side of the throttle servo????

Thank you....

Justin.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 AM
kochj

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXBPCT

The New 1060 is "quiet" version rather than a "add on" muffler "old style 1060" to a strait tuned pipe, seems much more
Elegant...[8D]

I don't have a ton of experience with tuned pipes, but have always tried to understand them......

I have seen the inner workings on a MTW tuned pipe, and was quite impressed.... as it has some interesting, open style,
of baffles that would be time consuming and difficult to re-create in a pipe....

Is the MTW style the same as the "quiet" 1060 Mac's pipe?? (has 2-reflector cones within the pipe, rather than a stuffed pip over the tuned pipe, with outlet
and inlet holes drilled into the plugged add on pipe"?

I hope I wasn't confusing..... I had some pictures of a pipe that I opened up and also a canister, but I have been U/A to find the pictures.... somewhere buried in a picture file on my computer!

These planes end up going faster than 106mph right???
I thought they went in the 130's to 150's????
Old 07-02-2013, 07:28 AM
kochj

Hey guys.....

You could always do what this guy did !!!

Instead of purchasing the GP dirty birdy ARF~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4axIjQarru0

Not saying it is a bad thing.... but 300 hours is crazzy for a bird of this size IMHO...
Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 PM
JWQ500RC

Hey guys

I'm looking for a hobbico nose retract. They are on back order from tower until late July. If anyone has one they want to sell please pm me.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

If you can't find one I thought I saw one here yesterday http://www.royshobby.com/
Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 AM
dphill2

Kochj,

I'm flying a Tipo with a Nova Rossi Speed 61, We used a Radar gun to check the speed and got 143 to 144 MPH so I guess most of the old Pattern planed were around 120 +
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16064.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	1897544  
Old 07-04-2013, 08:02 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just think how fast that thing would go with an APC, Dave!
Chris...
Old 07-04-2013, 08:24 PM
JWQ500RC

Timthetoolman

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:43 PM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

Just think how fast that thing would go with an APC, Dave!
Chris...
From what I understand, those Falcon props are as good or better than APC... Is this the case Dave?

Brian
Old 07-05-2013, 08:56 AM
dphill2

Hi Chris,

I have not flown my Tipo with a APC prop so I can't say. Wayne Mann was flying his Arrow with one and I think it went 147. He said he wanted to slow his horizontal speed down and was going to try some different props. ( that thing was a bullet)
I have used the Falcon prop that Brian was speaking of and they only have a 11x6 and 11X8 prop. I used the 11X8 and was Happy with it until I broke the tip off and had to change it (Only one I had) and went back to the Rev Up.
I can say one thing for sure, the APC will slice your finger better than a single edge razor blade [:@] as I had to have 6 stiches after trying to adj the needle on the Lil Rossi 46 and got my finger in the way of the prop.
I can also tell you the R61 Speed is a fine motor and will haul the mail ..

Dave..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.