Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

1/8 truggy acting irregular, kindly assist.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/8 truggy acting irregular, kindly assist.

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

And hopefully, Hobby People will take care of you! And you may not have any further issues! I would think DHK would know enough to equip and gear their cars appropriately, and all this theory we've been throwing at you will be unnecessary. But while yer shopping, DO pick up a IR thermometer to monitor your motor temp while running.
traxxas, and HPI don't
well they usually include the proper gear though in a little baggie in the box

As for hobbywing vs Castle creations... I yanked a Castle creations out of my savage to replace it with a hobby wing setup that ran way better. You won't see me call HW stuff junk as I own like 8 of their ESC's through almost all the scales they sell stuff for

EXT2Rob see what I meant about no info the reviews were even less
Old 06-07-2013, 04:36 PM
kmak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay folks i am officially annoyed now! I am searching everywhere on the internet for specifications on the motor that came in the truck, but it seems as if DHK remade some motors and/or other parts in the truck to keep it proprietary, so as to facilitate replacement through them only!!!!!!!

Ext2rob sent me an entire part list for that truck and all that i am seeing for the part, is a name, nothing else. No specifications, no make-up, no nothing...How silly is that?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:30 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it's a pisser.  Don't get too annoyed tho, mate. We've ALL been there, in one way or another.
It really is odd that it's pretty hard to find any details on the DHK stuff.  BUT, when it comes to RC electronics, there's nuthin that says you gotta stay with stock spec.  Don't get hung up on that stock motor.

Has Hobby People gotten back to you yet on whether they're going to replace the motor and/or ESC?  And how's the communication with them been? Do they get right back to you?  What's their plan to fix ya?
Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 AM
kmak

Yeah they contacted me yesterday, requesting more information, such as: - The type battery I am using- The mAH- Are they Lipos- How do I have them connectedI responded to them with that information and I now await there response
Old 06-08-2013, 01:18 PM
kmak

Okay here are the motors / motor and ESC combos that I am contemplating on getting. I will go with whichever EXT2Rob and SyCo_VeNom can both agree with, see options below:

-http://www.amazon.com/MAMBA-Monster-...amba+monster+2

-http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...item1c33701920 (2650 KV)

-http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASTLE-CREAT...item460ef55dac (2200 KV)

-http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-combo-m6b.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-combo-m6b.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-combo-m4a.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m936-sen...76-kv2250.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m931-sen...71-kv2650.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-lbp4074-2y-2150kv.html

Old 06-09-2013, 06:36 AM
EXT2Rob

How is their response-time?  I hope they aren't trying to trick you into revealing something they can use against you.

Are you looking at these new motor systems because you think HP is going to bounce you?  Or cuz you're afraid the replacement stock is crap?
Old 06-09-2013, 06:36 PM
kmak

both.......

Te stock one will be crap (I think) and as i said i only got to drive it once ince this started. So if they are going to be in a very long hold up, i think i will just go with one that you and/or Venom selects
Old 06-11-2013, 07:22 AM
EXT2Rob

Personally, I'd lean toward one of the Xerun combos over the Castle ones.  I have reservations about Castle's reliability.
But if it's just your motor that is hosed, I'd pick up that Tacon motor that is close to the KV rating of the stocker.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 AM
kmak

Okay here goes....

I heard from Hobby people, they think it’s the motor. They said the pinion gear should have been changed to a 11 or 10T gear. They gave me an address to send it back to, however to be honest EXT2Rob; I can’t be bothered with that.

I live in Jamaica; it’s going to take about a week for me to get it to California (hats where they want me to send it) another week or two for them to do an assessment and another week for it to come back to me. That’s way to long for me to wait on a stock motor. Probably I would contemplate the wait time if I was getting better than stock. So I will forget that for now.

I am just going to get one that we here can mutually agree on
Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 AM
EXT2Rob

Hey!  At least they're willing to toss ya a replacement motor! Good on them!  As for your options, I'd approach it this way:
Since they seem to think it's the motor and not the ESC, you could order one of those Tacon motors for $72+shipping, AND have HP send you a replacement.  That way, you have a spare motor on-hand.

Or, if you've got the coin, and you're just itching to replace the whole system, you could get one of the Xerun systems. However, you should note that the Xerun systems are sensored, where the stocker is sensorLESS.  Some sensored systems allow sensorless operation and some don't. But that may not be an issue for you.  I think this Xerun would be good for your buggy:

Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Hey! At least they're willing to toss ya a replacement motor! Good on them! As for your options, I'd approach it this way:
Since they seem to think it's the motor and not the ESC, you could order one of those Tacon motors for $72+shipping, AND have HP send you a replacement. That way, you have a spare motor on-hand.

Or, if you've got the coin, and you're just itching to replace the whole system, you could get one of the Xerun systems. However, you should note that the Xerun systems are sensored, where the stocker is sensorLESS. Some sensored systems allow sensorless operation and some don't. But that may not be an issue for you. I think this Xerun would be good for your buggy:

Good setup have one in my savage flux.

Only thing I would be a bit concerned with is that motor is quite large.
I've been holding off on any recommendations as I've not been able to locate any real info on the truck, and have not had time to look carefully either.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 AM
EXT2Rob

That's a good point, Syco.  He did say it's a little tight inside that truck.  I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that all those 8th-scale motors were about the same size.

Kmak, can you measure the length and diameter of that stock motor?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 AM
kmak

I will take the measurements after I leave work....I want a on-road car and I have one in mind, I want you all input but I will reserve that for a different thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:15 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

That's a good point, Syco. He did say it's a little tight inside that truck. I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that all those 8th-scale motors were about the same size.

Kmak, can you measure the length and diameter of that stock motor?
Well generally they are.
But that motor for example in my savage I had to grind like 2-3mm's off the motor mounts to make the motor fit(this was after the initial 1-2mm grind to make a CC 2200 fit)
Or how in the OFNA Nexx 8 buggy you can only use one size of can(which from how it sounded is not used much) limiting the motor choices. (this is what I would worry about)
Old 06-16-2013, 11:22 AM
kmak

I tried measuring the motor, but to get an accurate measurement, i would need to take out the entire motor, i had some challenges doing so. So I did the measurement with the motor still installed, hopefully it its accurate.

- The length of the motor measure: 2 13/16 inches or 71 Millimetre

- The diameter of the motor (di
stance across the circle passing through the centre): 1 inch or 25 Millimetre

Old 06-16-2013, 02:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Wow that motor has a small diameter.(I'm guessing its actually 28mm's as I can't find 1 27mm, but that 1mm isn't a huge deal)

Here is another question does it look like it has room between the motor and the bottom of the plate?

For reference when looking at motor sizes for example C-Xerun 4274SL-2000KV the 4274 means its 42mm diameter, and 74mmlength (not counting shaft)

Guess its a good thing you didn't go run out and order the 150 combo as unless there is a quite a bit of room under that motor it won't fit. This is why I was very hesitant to recommend anything without knowing a bit more about the vehicle

I'm looking only 28mm motors I can find at that length are all meant for EDF airplanes like http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ion_29mm_.html ...
Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 AM
EXT2Rob

Interesting.  Good work, Syco! 

So whataya think, Kmak?  Going to get that Dr Mad motor?  I still think you ought to send that original motor back to them for warranty replacement.  It's only gonna cost you the shipping, which can't be more than a few bucks, and then you'll have a SPARE.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:17 PM
kmak

I sent a mail to DHK for them to send me the specifications on the stock motor. I am awaiting their response, as soon as i get it i will let you know whats happenig. They have so far acknowledge my mail and have stated that they will respond shortly. I am giving them until Monday the latest.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:35 AM
kmak

Ok I finally got the specifications on the motor. But based on what I am seeing here It should be able to run a 6 cell battery setup. Look through the specifications and tell me what you think.

Kv (rpm/v): 2260

Weight (g): 335

Max Current (A): 105

Resistance (mh): 0.01

Max Voltage (V): 23

Power (W): 2400

Shaft A (mm): 5

Length B (mm): 70

Diameter C (mm): 36

Can Length D (mm): 68

Total Length E (mm): 85

The actual data sheet was also uploaded, see attachment.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60117.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1893980  
Old 06-22-2013, 02:46 PM
EXT2Rob

Well, that Dr Mad Thrust motor is down 800 watts of total power compared to the stock motor.  I'd still send that motor back to HP and get a replacement.

The stock motor's Max Amp draw is 105 amps.  So Theoretically, a 100A ESC is pared with it.  But I would think a 120A would be better, since it wouldn't be getting pushed to the edge as much.  (the motor doesn't draw 105A all the time.)

But hell, you only ran the stock system a short time before it developed this problem. It was probably an "infant-mortality" type failure of the motor's sensor circuit.  Get a replacement and see how it goes from there.  Worry about getting another electronics package later.  I know, I know....it's totally annoying that you gotta go thru all this with a NEW car, but give 'em the benefit of the doubt, and let 'em replace the motor.  Sucks that you don't have a local hobby shop and you have to do all this by internet/email/US-mail....jus go lick a splif an wait it out. 

But if ya REALLY want to get new electronics, now that we've got some solid specs to work with, we'll see if we can find you something that'd fit. 
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 PM
EXT2Rob

Hey KMAK,  I got to looking at some video of the Maximus, an I looked at the motor/heatsink and pinion where it meets the spur. My thought was: "How do you adjust the pinion/spur gear mesh?"

I couldn't see how it's done.  Since it's a new truck (relatively) had you ever looked at that gear mesh? It's important to an electric motor. If it's too loose, you can strip the spur. Too tight, and the motor bearings can overheat and fail, causing failure of the motor. 

What's the latest?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Hey KMAK, I got to looking at some video of the Maximus, an I looked at the motor/heatsink and pinion where it meets the spur. My thought was: ''How do you adjust the pinion/spur gear mesh?''

I couldn't see how it's done. Since it's a new truck (relatively) had you ever looked at that gear mesh? It's important to an electric motor. If it's too loose, you can strip the spur. Too tight, and the motor bearings can overheat and fail, causing failure of the motor.

What's the latest?
I looked at the pictures and wondered that as its so tight looking it looks like there is almost no room at all to do anything(also why I wouldn't recommend a motor at the start).

I looked for some motors, and had a reply typed in that day, but my internet bombed out when I went to hit reply, and I lost the whole post and as it was down for a few hours(been goin on the past month), and I forgot completely to come back.

god I hate comcast, and curse the day I signed a 2 year contract with that terrible company...
Old 07-02-2013, 10:12 AM
EXT2Rob

YO!  KMAK!!   What's the latest?  Have you gotten a motor back from Hobby People?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 AM
kmak

Ok EXT2Rob, i havent gotten a motor back from them. Soory about the late response, i got held down with a project at work. I havent goten it and neither do i care to receive one from them. I am replcing it from pocket. I am thinking of the "MAMBA MONSTER 2, 2650 KV.

See link below:

www.ebay.com/itm/New-Castle-Creations-Mamba-Monster-2-2650kv-Brushless-Motor-Waterproof-ESC-1-8-/251280102154

What do you think? Does it seem like a nice replcement based on the demensions of the stock motor? Do you think it will fit? Look at the specs of the stock motor i sent and tell me if this is a good replacement please.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:40 PM
EXT2Rob

It does look pretty close.  The diameter is about 5mm larger than stock.  If you look at your car and based on the original motor, you think the Castle 6841 size motor would fit, go for it.  Just don't get mad at me cuz I can't be there to eye-ball it in person. [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.