Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

first flight today!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

first flight today!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:12 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: first flight today!

Just who is "slider buck" he joined in 2003 and this is the first post on anything. Taught himself to fly using a simulator only. Be skeptical and cautious with a person with no history.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:34 PM
fly24-7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on everything that's been said, are you sure you extended your transmitter antenna before flight? It would explain:

- Why your morning flights went well but by afternoon you ran into problems (reached a point where you forgot to extend it).
- Why you're having the problem on take-off (at end of range with antenna down) but not on the bench.
- Why it went squirly but you were able to save it (at the threshold of reception).
Old 07-02-2013, 01:40 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Switch to 2.4 and you can forget the antenna
Old 07-02-2013, 01:45 PM
thepamster

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Just who is "slider buck" he joined in 2003 and this is the first post on anything. Taught himself to fly using a simulator only. Be skeptical and cautious with a person with no history.
Based on the questions asked and the answers given I don't see any need for caution.
+1 on all advice given.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:29 PM
slider_buck

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I know you probably don't want to spend any more money, but a computerized charger will let you know for sure if your batteries are good. I see them frequently used on here for $30-$40, so it's not a huge investment. The ability to peak charge and do cycle testing tells you conclusively how good your batteries are instead of just guessing and hoping. There are considerably fewer unexplained losses of control talked about on the forums now than there were 8-10 years ago. Many would say that 2.4ghz radios are to thank for that, and I'm sure they are a factor. But about the same time those gained popularity, computerized chargers became a lot more commonplace. I actually think that has been a bigger factor, and RC pilots are finally making sure that their batteries are both charged fully and performing up to standard before taking off. Along with that, a $5 harbor Freight electrical multimeter will let you check voltages at your receiver and find problems before they cost you a plane.

i have a fluke meter where i could check the voltage before flying it. do they sell i meter like the one on the transmitters. the beeper that i bought from ebay will at least let me know now when the battery is getting low.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:12 PM
slider_buck

Just who is ''slider buck'' he joined in 2003 and this is the first post on anything. Taught himself to fly using a simulator only. Be skeptical and cautious with a person with no history.

i joined back in 03 when i was into rc cars. i sold them and im just now getting back into the rc scene. are you serious saying something like "be cautious"? what do you think im going to do? find out info on you and hunt you down or something..lol. sounds like you have some issues your self to be concerned about fella!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:14 PM
slider_buck

ORIGINAL: fly24-7

Based on everything that's been said, are you sure you extended your transmitter antenna before flight? It would explain:

- Why your morning flights went well but by afternoon you ran into problems (reached a point where you forgot to extend it).
- Why you're having the problem on take-off (at end of range with antenna down) but not on the bench.
- Why it went squirly but you were able to save it (at the threshold of reception).

yeah im positive that the antenna was extended. i even checked to make sure all the controls worked ok after i got it back on the ground.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:14 AM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

Have you done a range check? There may be an issue with distance.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:49 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: slider_buck

Just who is ''slider buck'' he joined in 2003 and this is the first post on anything. Taught himself to fly using a simulator only. Be skeptical and cautious with a person with no history.

i joined back in 03 when i was into rc cars. i sold them and im just now getting back into the rc scene. are you serious saying something like "be cautious"? what do you think im going to do? find out info on you and hunt you down or something..lol. sounds like you have some issues your self to be concerned about fella!
LOL.. I'll give you 5 for that neat response!.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:27 AM
slider_buck

ORIGINAL: Lightspeed1551

Have you done a range check? There may be an issue with distance.

when i first flew it that morning i had my step dad there and we did a range check then. i kept the antenna collapsed and walked about 100' away and it worked perfectly fine. a couple hours later when i had the issue i was by myself and i didnt do a check.whats the best way to do a check if you are by yourself?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Range check is done occasionally, you don't have to do it every time. 30 steps away is what is necessary. At that distance you can see the surfaces moving
Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All good advice, butI would also suggest youbuy yourself a digital load tester and plug it in after charging and see how long it takes to drop the voltage to 4.8v A fully charged 4 cell battery should read about 5.8v fresh off the charger, if not you need a new battery or a new charger. Man you got lucky 2 times you lose control and got it backOne time would have been enough for me.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:01 PM
TEBerg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you are taking a lot of steps in the right direction. There is good advice here to follow.

Might I add that you look for a local club and RC coach to help you with some of these things. It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on flying, but a coach would have things in his tool kit like a Expanded Scale Volt Meter and he would be able to check RX battery right there.

If you use the analogy of a picture is worth a thousand words - some well spent time with a coach/instructor is worth hundreds of those pictures (and posts on this Site)...

Good Luck - Keep flying..
Old 07-05-2013, 10:08 AM
SharpProp

Sounds to me like your receiver entered a fail safe condition for a moment and then returned control to you. Turn on your transmitter, then your receiver.......now turn off your transmitter. If your throttle closes and your ailerons move to a "rolling" position, you have figured out your problem.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:12 AM
slider_buck

ORIGINAL: SharpProp

Sounds to me like your receiver entered a fail safe condition for a moment and then returned control to you. Turn on your transmitter, then your receiver.......now turn off your transmitter. If your throttle closes and your ailerons move to a ''rolling'' position, you have figured out your problem.

well i tried this and everything stayed in the same position it was in when i turned the transmitter off. dont think it has failsafe on it.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 AM
slider_buck

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

All good advice, but I would also suggest you buy yourself a digital load tester and plug it in after charging and see how long it takes to drop the voltage to 4.8v A fully charged 4 cell battery should read about 5.8v fresh off the charger, if not you need a new battery or a new charger. Man you got lucky 2 times you lose control and got it back[img][/img] One time would have been enough for me.

yeah i know. i thought for sure it was a gonner when it did a 360 all on its own..lol.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:18 AM
slider_buck

would this be a good failsafe to go with?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYRC-Failsa...item3a81f6d623
Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 AM
slider_buck

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

All good advice, but I would also suggest you buy yourself a digital load tester and plug it in after charging and see how long it takes to drop the voltage to 4.8v A fully charged 4 cell battery should read about 5.8v fresh off the charger, if not you need a new battery or a new charger. Man you got lucky 2 times you lose control and got it back[img][/img] One time would have been enough for me.

what about this for a load tester?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbico-Digi...item2ec8b03f5e
Old 07-07-2013, 11:02 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: slider_buck

i took it out first thing this morning and had 5 excellent flights. i came home and decided to go back out to the same spot about 5 hours later.

All on the same day and no additional charging? and its most likely your flight pack was only a 6/7oo mah and had they received a full 14/16 hour initial charge as well as a simple charge just over night? You simply dumped your battery, that's what happened.

Forget the failsafe learn good charging practices for the type batteries you are using and yes the tester you linked is a good one and would work well for you

John
Old 07-07-2013, 01:17 PM
slider_buck

so about how long on a single charge should i trust the receiver battery? when i did the 5 flights initially i was only in the air about a total of 30 minutes if that. i just had it out and had 3 more successful flights with no problems. well i did manage to bounce it into a chain link fence..lol. no damage though. still trying to get the hang of landing. real easy to come in to fast.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:55 PM
[email protected]

why not have a extra battery charged up and get a field charger then u wont have to worry how many hours do you want to fly get a battey checker check you battery after each flight
Old 07-07-2013, 02:52 PM
slider_buck

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

why not have a extra battery charged up and get a field charger then u wont have to worry how many hours do you want to fly get a battey checker check you battery after each flight

im going to order the one listed above. yeah i'll probably order me an extra battery also. trying to decide what batteries and charger to go with though.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:29 PM
slider_buck

which charger do you guys think would be better to use?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWTD9&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMVP&P=7
Old 07-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Live Wire

I like the Hobbico Accu-cycle Elite for a charger from Tower, and a standard ESV for checking in the field. Not to bad of a price
Old 07-07-2013, 04:29 PM
slider_buck

yeah thats alot nicer charger than what i was looking at. i went ahead and ordered the first charger and a 2000mah hobbico rx batter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.