Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

help with engine selection

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

help with engine selection

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:33 AM
georgiateddy
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with engine selection

New to the hobby and im aquiring the neccessary elements for my project plane. I have other planes for a trainer but plan to build the airplane below with some help.

I would like to have help/imput with regards to a reasonable priced engine selection that will allow the plane to perform in an expected manner. I definately want a 4 stroke.

Also will S3004 servos be adequate to have the plane perform.

Plane: seagull piper cub, 78 inch wing, factory recommended .75-.91 if using a 4 stroke

thanks

Old 07-02-2013, 07:46 AM
nellsey

Default RE: help with engine selection

3004 servo will be adequate.
I would go with an os copy, something like an ASP 91fs. These are reliable and well priced.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!

This is a hobby that a lot of people end up doing for several years. With any thing there are expendable pieces and investment pieces that comprise the whole package. With this hobby, engines are an investment piece and the planes are an expendable piece. If you spend the money to get a quality engine you will likely have it serve you in several different airplanes as it seems, and most would agree, that the engines outlast the airplanes.

So to your question now with my perspective out there... I would recomend an O.S. or a Saito in the recomended size range up to 1.00, if you choose to go with a four stroke nitro. If it was my plane, It would get a DLE 20cc gasoline engine.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:10 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

The standard servos will be fine. I too would recommend a gasoline engine like the new Evolution 20CC. It's front a carb and comes with a wrap-around  pitts muffler and sips fuel.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ngine-EVOE20GX
Old 07-02-2013, 08:13 AM
opjose

Stang said it well...

I helped a fellow club member with his brand new O.S. 91 equipped Seagull Cub.

I helped him go over it and maidened it and trimmed it out for him.

After landing he made some adjustments and he asked me to get the plane back up in the air again as he was nervous... ( he's a decent enough flyer ).

I did one lap of the airfield with this plane at 1/4 throttle ( it has GOBS of power with a .91 engine. ).

All of a sudden I lost complete control. However the airplane kept flying slow stable circles.

Unfortunately a stiff breeze was blowing that day, so the plane would climb on every circuit and move further out.

After 12 minutes we could no longer see the plane even with binoculars... it was up in the clouds. 1-2 minutes later we could not hear the plane at all.

My friend went home upset.

About 45 minutes later a truck pulled up with three people dressed in business suits and with something bright and yellow in the bed of the truck.

At first I though they were attorneys looking for someone to sue.

It turned out that they had seen the plane make a graceful landing on the side of a major interstate highway 14 miles away. They told me that it landed so gently they assumed that someone nearby was controlling it.

They knew about our airfield, so they brought it over looking for the owner.

I called my friend and told him that his "miracle plane" had been found.

There was not the slightest scratch or bit of damage to it. It was just completely out of fuel.

He found he had not put the retention clip back on for the RX so it had lost power completely.

This is one stable plane when it is properly trimmed out!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 AM
georgiateddy
My Feedback: (11)

Great information!

This was my first attempt to solicit intel.  Im sure i will use this tool again on multiple occasions.

thanks very much
Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 PM
KW_Counter

If you are just getting into this hobby and buying your first engine, go with gasoline, not nitro.
Nitro is about $20 per gallon and gasoline + oil about $5.
We are now getting more choices and smaller gasoline engines are now being made.
Enjoy what new technology and better international trade treaties are bringing us.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want to go glow then without a doubt the OS 91 Surpass is a awesome engine I have 5 of them and there great runners easy to tune and reliable runners.

if you want to go gas for the plane you will have, it will be a bit over powered with the DLE 20 is a good choice, you can always throttle back, the small gasoline engines are beginning to really get better in performance and reliability now.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:58 AM
mike109

G'day

I was flying a similar, but slightly larger, Cub today. It is an old Thunder Tiger J3 Cub which is 82 inches (2.1 metre) wingspan. It was given to me and has not flown for several years. It originally had a Thunder Tiger 91 four stroke in it but I put a Saito 82 in it. With the 91 it must have been MASSIVELY over powered as with the 82 it is still way overpowered and flew most of the time on about 1/4 power.

As it was my first take off, I used full power. It lifted its tail after about three feet and positively leaped into the air after about 10 feet and tried to head straight up.

I will probably pull the Saito 82 out and put a 72 in but I suspect it would also fly quite well with either a 62 or even a 56.

Cubs have huge wings. The original J# Cub had an engine of about 40 HP which is not very powerful at all but flies the plane well. We tend to overpower our RC models but a Cub is one that really does not need to be overpowered if you are going to fly it in a scale manner.

I suspect that your Cub will fly perfectly well with engines such as the Saito 72 or the Thunder Tiger 75. The ASP 70 (which is a bit heavy) would also be fine. For me, it would be a Saito 72 or 82 if you want to go mad. The OS 72 Alpha would also be suitable but is quite expensive. I also suspect that the OS 62V and the Saito 62 would also be fine.

If you want the Rolls Royce four stroke, then the English Laser 70 or 80 would be magnificent. I have a 70 and it is a wonderful engine in scale models. But for mere mortals, the Saito 72 would be my pick.

Cheers

Mike in Oz
Old 07-03-2013, 06:50 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Since you're a beginner asking for advice, I'll offer the advice that you'll be better off with a 2 stroke engine in your Cub. It sounds like you are price sensitive (nothing wrong with that) and for comparable quality 4 strokes are significantly more expensive. Put a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro or an OS .46 AX in the plane and enjoy the power and reliability of a quality 2 stroke. There are no valves to adjust, no difficulties with idling, no weird throttle linkages to figure out, and the tuning is really simple. I have a Magnum 4 stroke (same thing as an ASP) that does what it's supposed to do, but there is a very obvious quality different between it and the OS and Saito 4 strokes. I probably won't own another one as I'd prefer to spend my flying field time flying instead of fooling with my engine. So if the choice is a good 2 stroke or a cheap 4 stroke, get a good 2 stroke and have fun flying your Cub.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:32 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: opjose

Stang said it well...

I helped a fellow club member with his brand new O.S. 91 equipped Seagull Cub.

I helped him go over it and maidened it and trimmed it out for him.

After landing he made some adjustments and he asked me to get the plane back up in the air again as he was nervous... ( he's a decent enough flyer ).

I did one lap of the airfield with this plane at 1/4 throttle ( it has GOBS of power with a .91 engine. ).

All of a sudden I lost complete control. However the airplane kept flying slow stable circles.

Unfortunately a stiff breeze was blowing that day, so the plane would climb on every circuit and move further out.

After 12 minutes we could no longer see the plane even with binoculars... it was up in the clouds. 1-2 minutes later we could not hear the plane at all.

My friend went home upset.

About 45 minutes later a truck pulled up with three people dressed in business suits and with something bright and yellow in the bed of the truck.

At first I though they were attorneys looking for someone to sue.

It turned out that they had seen the plane make a graceful landing on the side of a major interstate highway 14 miles away. They told me that it landed so gently they assumed that someone nearby was controlling it.

They knew about our airfield, so they brought it over looking for the owner.

I called my friend and told him that his ''miracle plane'' had been found.

There was not the slightest scratch or bit of damage to it. It was just completely out of fuel.

He found he had not put the retention clip back on for the RX so it had lost power completely.

This is one stable plane when it is properly trimmed out!
That's amazing.

A few years ago, I was flying my Little Something Extra electric conversion on 72 MHz. I had been flying 2.4GHz all day and when it finally came to flying the LSE, I forgot to raise the antenna... it looked up to me (as I was used to looking at the stub 2.4GHz antenna.. duh.. ). Well, I got it up and started an orbit. But, at one point in the very first orbit, it was headed directly away from me toward the woods at the opposite end of the field. I could not do much with it.. it would not respond. It did manage to pull the throttle to idle but it kept going straight out away from me. Shortly, it was over the trees and gone.

As frustrated as I was, I walked to the opposite end of the field where I thought it had gone in over the trees and started walking in to the woods. A couple of hundred yards in, there it was, sitting on the ground, right side up, with a broken prop. That's all. Just a broken prop.

I gathered it up and went back to the flight line and completely checked it out, including a range check and total control check. I put in a new battery pack and, this time, with the antenna raised, I flew it for about 10 minutes. Amazing.... or should I say lucky!!!

CGr.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: georgiateddy

New to the hobby and im aquiring the neccessary elements for my project plane. I have other planes for a trainer but plan to build the airplane below with some help.

I would like to have help/imput with regards to a reasonable priced engine selection that will allow the plane to perform in an expected manner. I definately want a 4 stroke.

Also will S3004 servos be adequate to have the plane perform.

Plane: seagull piper cub, 78 inch wing, factory recommended .75-.91 if using a 4 stroke

thanks

The recommendation on that is for up to a .91 4stroke. While I agree with the gas comments listed below in as far as GOING gas over say nitro, at 78" WS it's really not that big for a cub, and the DE20 listed is a powerhouse of a 1.20 (or 20cc) sized gasser - it will out power most if not ALL common 1.20 4 stroke nitro's out there at 2.5hp.
Perhaps one of the evolution 15cc (approx .91 CI) gas motors might suit, as I wonder if the DLE20 might just overstress the airframe and/or overpower it for a novice little?
The beauty with gas motors, is that they are actually cost effective to get, and the running costs and the amount of oil and muck that they flick onto your plane is HUGELY less than an equivalent nitro motor - we are talking cents on the dollar to run Vs Nitro.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:36 PM
opjose

Yup as Bob said a 15cc gas engine might be a better fit if you go that route.

Easier to get into the cowl too.

Even with the 15cc the plane will be overpowered.