Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:05 AM
joeyhatch11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor?

What's the difference between a 4 pole and 6 pole 1/8 motor? Currently running a Toro system in my Ofna Buggy 8 and was wondering what the difference is. The stock 1900kv motor is a 4 pole but Ive seen some 1/8 motors on HobbyCity that have some great reviews and was thinking on tinkering with, but a few are listed as 6 pole. My stock ESC is a 150A also.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Motor?

ORIGINAL: joeyhatch11

What's the difference between a 4 pole and 6 pole 1/8 motor? Currently running a Toro system in my Ofna Buggy 8 and was wondering what the difference is. The stock 1900kv motor is a 4 pole but Ive seen some 1/8 motors on HobbyCity that have some great reviews and was thinking on tinkering with, but a few are listed as 6 pole. My stock ESC is a 150A also.
I would not run 6s with that speedo unless you can gear down significantly.

A picture of six pole rotor

Has 6 different magnets vs 4 . Theory it should create more power is what I believe, maybe someone with more knowledge can help out.

The 6pole motors from HobbyKing have very good reviews and cheap enough, something along the lines of 2100kv should be a sweet spot on 4s.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:43 AM
joeyhatch11

Im just going to run 4s for now and Im sure that'll be more than enough power for me. Just curious about the 6s because others have ran it on that stock ESC and claim to have had no problem. One guy just burnt out his stock 1900kv motor after a while on it. The specs for the 150 amp ESC say 25.4v Max so Id like to assume it would be fine. As for the motor, your saying that I would see a nice improvement over the stock 1900kv 4 pole, if I switch out to a 2100kv 6 pole? Another reason I ask is because Ive also read that the stock motor has been known to burn out rather fast and reach some high temps right out of the box. We're talking 160+ on days that are roughly 70-80 degrees out. Ofna is offering a replacement for those that are seeing these issues and I've read that the replacement motor is another style 1900kv with a closed back that runs smoother and at much lower temps, 70-90 degrees on 4s with stock gearing.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 AM
joeyhatch11

So from what I've found the Toro ESC is the SAME thing as the Turnigy, HobbyKing version. Specs and design are 100% match. The Turnigy ESC says you can run 4-6s set-up but the ESC is limited to a 2400kv motor. A 2100-2400kv motor will run just fine on 6s on stock gearing, no need to drop gears to run 6s.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: joeyhatch11

So from what I've found the Toro ESC is the SAME thing as the Turnigy, HobbyKing version. Specs and design are 100% match. The Turnigy ESC says you can run 4-6s set-up but the ESC is limited to a 2400kv motor. A 2100-2400kv motor will run just fine on 6s on stock gearing, no need to drop gears to run 6s.
Right lol

Old 07-04-2013, 03:00 AM
joeyhatch11

There is no reason to swap out the stock 15T pinion to run 6s on this buggy. What gear ratio do you thik it needs to be at? I've even messaged some of the users on YouTube that are leaving these videos and asked them if they changed the stock gearing to run 6s and they said no. But have upped the pinion to the 20T.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:45 AM
joeyhatch11

"Well, I ran it on 6S and it fried the stock motor. As far as gearing goes, I have found this buggy to be very under-geared - you need to gear it up and NOT down. The motor screams for more gearing and I think that's what fried it. Somewhere between 19T to 21T pinion will do the trick beautifully. But even so, I still would avoid running the stock motor on 6S. The ESC is fine and can handle it, but not the motor. Check out my other vids on the buggy to see more. Hope that helps. Thanks "
Old 07-10-2013, 03:28 PM
joeyhatch11

Stock motor is off to Ofna. Temped at 230 only 9 minutes into my 4th run. While letting it cool I was looking over the buggy to find that the motor can was super loose. As soon as I took it out, one screw fell into the chassis and another was stripped and would not tighten. The third screw was the only one that was still nice and snug. So Dj at Ofna said send it in. While its on its way, I did order a $40 Turnigy 1900kv from HoobyCity so we'll see how that'll perform. From what I've read and seen on YouTube videos, its look promissing.