Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

New boogie board air boat problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 AM
cjhaupt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New boogie board air boat problems

Help would be appreciated. I built my first airboat out of a boogie roughly 24inches long. I read quite a bit before I started. I'm powering with a 480 electric with a 3 cell 2100 lipo pack. Using a 12" prop. I mounted as if on a plane pulling rather than pushing. I mounted it 30 percent from the rear plenty of power. I took to the lake for a trial run and when going into the wind the nose of the board submerges. Running with the wind is fine. I need suggestions. Do I Add weight to the rear? Do I have to add some kind of pitch to the motor? Do I add an elevator/spoiler to the rear. I'm going on vacation next week would love to take it. I probably won't get a chance to try it on water before I leave so rather than keep experimenting on my own I was hoping someone could help
Thanks
Charlie
Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Ozpulse

Default RE: New boogie board air boat problems

You can try tilting the motor down slightly to lift the front end that bit more, might just fix the the problem without adding weight.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A 12" prop is pretty large for the average 480 motor, what is the motor Kv? What is the prop pitch?

Old 07-04-2013, 05:26 AM
cjhaupt

I know it has been a year since my last boggie board questions. Never could get the board to work as expected.
Started over this summer. I am using the same 480 electric 1020Kv motor. I decided to move the motor mount back as far as possible to the rear of the new board. I reversed the motor and purchased pusher props. Unbelievable change in proformance. However last summer I had a problem with the ESC overheating because I mounted in a tupperware container to keep dry. This year I purchased a watercooled ESC and a rudder for a boat with a water intake hole. I don't know if I mounted too high even though it is in the water I can't get water to flow through the tubing to the ESC or I don't know if the boat is not fast enough to push water to the ESC. If anyone has experimented with water rudders any suggestions would be appreciated.
Charlie
Old 07-04-2013, 10:29 AM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Bad advise.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:18 AM
cjhaupt

Thanks for your feedback very helpful. Sometimes when searching for items if you name it wrong you get no results. The item is question would be called a ESC water pump?
Old 07-05-2013, 03:34 AM
cjhaupt

Please disregard the last comment. I found all kinds of water cooling pumps on line. New to the hobby and until you recommended one I didn't know they existed.
Thanks
Old 07-05-2013, 04:35 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

That motor is only going to be turning 11,300 some rpm on a 11.1v power system. I'd definitely drop the prop diameter down. Running a water pump will require additional batteries and may add too much weight. People on RC Airboat World have used regular non-water cooled ESC's in sealed radio boxes for many years with no problem. Your overheating problem is related to using too big of a prop I'll bet.

If you don't have a tachometer, get one. If you tach your prop at full power it will tell you easily if you're over-propped or not. 9 out of 10 times the ESC will overheat or melt down if you're pulling too many Amps.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 AM
cjhaupt

I just assumed that the ESC would overheat being in a tupperware container. I'm used to aircraft where some air is going through the fuselage to keep things cool. I've experimented with a number of props some gave great readings but not acceptable preformance.

Currently I'm using a 9x6 pusher prop on the 480 1020 KV outrunner
17 Amp max
173 Watt
8400 Rpm.
Using a 35 Amp watercooled ESC.
My question since I'm not really getting water through the intake of the rudder without a pump should I go back to using the non-watercooled ESC or leave as is?
Before your response I ordered a small pump but since it's coming from China I'll be back from vacation before it arrives.
Your responses are appreciated
Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 AM
yellowufo

Get a temp gun