Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Toxic oil...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Toxic oil...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 03:48 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Toxic oil...

Well,

I think if the oil is so bad for us, we should ban it's use at the field. Anyone using it should be sent home...for everyone elses safety.

And while we are at it...my JR servos come with a caution about they contain material that can cause cancer. I guess we need to ban servos too.

No more cookouts either...eating meat causes cancer...

I'm tellin ya...these jet meets are really going to get boring if we are not careful...

Beave
Old 07-04-2013, 03:59 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI all, a friend of mine worked in the transit garage, working on bus transmissions, for most of his career.He was constantly getting tumors on his hands.
Back to jets, burn less oil, like Jet Central, or do what I suggested , years ago, put a dedicated oil system in our turbines, not rocket science.
Rcpete
Old 07-04-2013, 05:00 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

One time while flying I was getting attacked by these little chigger bugs. Like a flea or something. Biting the crap out of me while I flew. Sucks, I did not have any bug spray. So I spread fuel all over myself. It worked. But I guess now I am going to die! Oh wait..........that is gonna happen anyway! lol I got to keep flying!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:03 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: bevar

Harley,

From what that said...I think...is that my Brute 33 is just as harmful as Aeroshell 500.

Hmmmm...maybe I'll splash some on for the awards banquet...lol!

More Big Macs please!

Beave

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

Beave,
Here's the MSDS for Aeroshell 500.
Isn't it amazing what you can find in 10 seconds on Google?
See page 1
http://www.equivashellmsds.com/Displ....asp?ID=202550
I think all our kids are going to die of some bug/disease. This whole society is really screwed up when it comes to kids. None of them play outside, walk to school, play in the dirt, heaven forbid touch a handle of something before mommy shrieks and runs over with some steri wipes. How the hell are these kids ever gonna develop an immune system? Not to mention the brain rot that is computers and video games.

Turbine oil is the least of their worries....

PaulD

Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If something is "safe" to use today, give it a while and someone will decide it is bad for you.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:39 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

google the artificial sweetener used in diet soda, and you will be glad to handle the usafe oils.
aspertame is bad stuff, and folks drink it by the gallon.

http://aspartame.mercola.com/

nasty
Old 07-04-2013, 11:11 PM
warbirdfanatic

Exactly, we're now in a scenario of everything gives you cancer. Don't go near that child, you might catch cancer from him, don't go under power lines, they radiate ions that can give you cancer, don't touch macdonalds, it will give you cancer.......

This crap is always on the news 'A new study suggests......'

As long as we're a little cautious here and there then we'll be fine. Statistically you have more of a chance choking on a sweet than contracting cancer and with the progression of modern medicine it won't be long before things are more curable. Look at the work on HIV and AIDS, it won't be long before it's finally controlled etc (seeing as we all know it was a man made disease )

I'm always a bit weary about being at the tail end of my turbine when it's running but soo far I've found that GT oil makes a great moisturiser for my hands
Old 07-04-2013, 11:33 PM
drac1

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why would anyone want to stand behind a turbine model anyway? Or any type of model aircraft for that matter? I keep clear of any exhaust.

I've never considered any health risks that may be associated with it, it's just that i don't really care for crap being blown over me or my Tx.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:58 PM
warbirdfanatic

Some say that Ali Machinchy stands behind his jets because this is how he gets his silky smooth hair
Old 07-05-2013, 01:47 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunradd

Working on the fullscale stuff you cant help but take a bath in oil every now and then. I have been around every oil their is for turbines pretty much and the only oil that messes with me is Mobil 2380. Makes my eyes swell up and itch and irritates my skin. But all other oils do nothing including other mobil products. The one lubricant I cant stand is by far the worst to deal with in aviation is skydroll! I hate that crap. You get it on you and it stays for days even after multiple showers.

With models its not like we fly a whole lot and have big engines with wet gear boxes. So our exposure with models is very minimal so cant see what all the fuss is about.
It's a whole different ball game when burned and inhaled.

If you don't see the problem, perhaps its because you don't want to.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:06 AM
Harley Condra

ORIGINAL: afterburner

Jet Central recommends Amsoil 2 stroke Dominator ( http://www.amsoil.com/msds/tdr.pdf ) if you don't want to use turbine oil. It only causes cancer in California[:-].

Marty
I'm sure glad I left California!
Old 07-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Justflying1

ORIGINAL: rcpete347

HI all, a friend of mine worked in the transit garage, working on bus transmissions, for most of his career.He was constantly getting tumors on his hands.
Back to jets, burn less oil, like Jet Central, or do what I suggested , years ago, put a dedicated oil system in our turbines, not rocket science.
Rcpete
Not sure why you would want to put a dedicated oil system for.
Maybe just to complicate things more and add extra weight not to mention something else to go wrong.
Personaly I like the way we mix the oil ourselves as it is fool proof for as long as you do the rite. mixture. Does not take a genius to work out.
I use Mobile jet 2 for my turbines and will always keep on using turbine oil for turbines no matter what MSDS says. Everything is dangerous this is why there are SWMS and MSDS so the appropriate precoutions can be taken.
I think if I'm going to die from cancer it will be from the partying I did in my younger days , the days I spend in the great out doors, and/ or the fumes I breath every time I go outside.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:10 AM
Gonzalo38

I think that Beave has been exposed to those toxic fumes inside the 757 for too long.......
Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 AM
schroedm

Are we talking about the burnt oil particles in the exhaust or handling the neat oil when mixing your kero/A1 etc?????
Old 07-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Robrow

In the military sector of full size aviation this oil is classed as a dangerous consumable.

Rob.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:22 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

If there are less toxic alternatives then why not switch? Beats using aero shell just to "prove" it's ok.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:11 AM
dadragon

every time I get well oiled the pain seems to go away,so keep flying and live with it.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Are we talking about the burnt oil particles in the exhaust or handling the neat oil when mixing your kero/A1 etc?????
The burnt oil particles in the exhaust. Jet oils are not designed to be burnt in normal use, just circulated round & round in the engine
just like the oil in your car. I don't think the MSDS's for these oils take burning them & the resulting (different) effects into consideration.

Handling the neat oil would most likely involve just common sense precautions like avoiding skin contact if possible & washing your hands
thoroughly if you contact it, someone with more experience with these oils (full size jet engine techs?) may know the full story.

If there are less toxic alternatives then why not switch? Beats using aero shell just to "prove" it's ok.
Gets beyond being a health issue & becomes an attitude issue.

Some people get on their 'high horse' (sorry, couldn't resist!), make up their mind about something & block out any discussion
about anything regardless of what's being said. Change? Nup, not me, no one's gonna tell me what to do!

It's pointless arguing, I just use the LANO principal.

Look After Number One.

End of discussion for me.

John.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Eddie P

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: drac1

Why would anyone want to stand behind a turbine model anyway? Or any type of model aircraft for that matter? I keep clear of any exhaust.

I've never considered any health risks that may be associated with it, it's just that i don't really care for crap being blown over me or my Tx.
I've seen guys on cold days do this to warm up their legs and hands. Not right behind the nozzle, but like 15 feet back where the temps are mixed with ambient air and just warm. Not bright! But then again they probably didn't know about oil poisoning - or if its like anything else around here, they were told they probably said, "so what, everything is toxic including age". You can lead a horse to water but, well, yeah...