Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Tricky Koverall application

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Tricky Koverall application

Old 07-05-2013, 05:09 PM
rkcruit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tricky Koverall application

Does anyone have suggestions for applying Koverall on an outside corner?? This first pic show the edge of my horizontal stabilizer and I'm not sure how to cut the Koverall for a smooth application. The next pic shows the other half of the stabilizer which is finished, but leaving a ragged edge at the corner.

Any help would be well appreciated.

Thanks.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72369.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1897840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93133.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1897841  
Old 07-06-2013, 04:10 AM
pd1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tricky Koverall application

You can try this, Cut the fabric following the outer edge of the curved shape. ( red line on new picture)
Fold down section one and fasten it to hinged edge. (1)
Second, fold down outer edge (section 2) and fasten that to outer edge and fold that around to front and trim with scissor.

Name:	Qo39939.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1897946  
Old 07-06-2013, 05:18 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I put a cut as shown by PD1 and dope the edge down. I also hit these areas with a covering iron after the dope is dry and they will lay down nice and flat.

When you are filling the weave of the fabric you want to give these areas some extra coats of dope. After several coats and a couple of sandings these areas blend in very well.

Good Luck!!
Anthony
Old 07-06-2013, 06:25 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave more extra around the part so you can grab it. Tune your iron so it has 225, 250 350 deg. At 225 you can form without shrinking. Grab the excess and run the iron on the overlap areas and it will hold the shape. I tend to cut like pd1
Old 07-06-2013, 06:56 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

All good information given. You can still salvage that corner by applying more dope or stixit & crank up the heat on the iron. That and a new razor blade should straighten out that corner. Like what has been stated above, once you get several coats of dope on over it, youll see that it blends right in. Try and get your future corners looking good before you trim off the extra, as it gives you some leverage to pulling the covering tight on the edge......Gene
Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

I put a cut as shown by PD1 and dope the edge down. I also hit these areas with a covering iron after the dope is dry and they will lay down nice and flat.

When you are filling the weave of the fabric you want to give these areas some extra coats of dope. After several coats and a couple of sandings these areas blend in very well.

Good Luck!!
Anthony
Slightly off subject, but related to Koverall: My inherited Sig 1/4 Cub is covered with Koverall. The side windows were CA'd in place over the Koverall. I want to replace the windows and removed them. The CA made a mess of the Koverall so I tried to sand it down smooth. The sanding cut through the Koverall in several places and made it fuzzy. How do I fix this? It was finished in Sig dope, but I plan to repaint it in acrylic water base paint. Any ideas, please? Thanks.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:47 PM
rkcruit

My thanks to pd1 and Anthony's responses. pd1's modification to my pic gave me a better visualunderstanding onhow to finish a curved end with Koverall. I tried it tonight and it looks perfect!!

On to the wings with new found confidence.!!

Ken
Old 07-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Trisquire

I typically cut the whole corner out before tacking the two sides down.

Name:	Hf97583.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1898396  
Old 07-07-2013, 01:46 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: rkcruit

My thanks to pd1 and Anthony's responses. pd1's modification to my pic gave me a better visual understanding on how to finish a curved end with Koverall. I tried it tonight and it looks perfect!!

On to the wings with new found confidence.!!

Ken
Glad it worked out for you. I haven't looked back since going to fabric. It is more work than iron on coverings but the results are well worth the effort. There are more methods of doing the finish than you can shake a stick at. Find a method that works for you and have fun. Once you get the hang of it your seams will all but disappear and the finish will be better than you can imagine.

Later!!
Anthony