Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Ftbraggtrooper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice

Hi I have a F9f Panther 50 inch wing span I want to say it weighs about 6 to 8 pounds or so. I bought a 90mm 12 blade EDF and ESC here is the following information on the power plantESC : YEP 150A, LIP 2S - 6S, VOLTAGE 6 -25.2V, BRUSHLESS, MOTOR TIMING 0 TO 30, PWM 8 - 16KHZ, MAX RPM 240,000 FOR 2 POLE BRUSHLESS MOTOREDF : 900 MAX RPM 37,000, MOTOR TYPE 3674 1620KV, MAX POWER 2,100KW, MAX VOLTAGE 2,250W, CONTINUOUS POWER 2,100W, MAX VOLTAGE 22.2V (6S), MAX AMPS 97A MAX THRUST 3.1KG.I hope all this information is enough, But it seems its not enough power to lift the plane more than 3 feet off the ground. Where am I failing? Any ideas? Thanks. Manny
Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 PM
XMech2k
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Need some advice

I'm not expert enough to tell you if the motor and fan are adequate(There are people who know that stuff from the numbers, not me!), but you didn't mention what battery you're using. That's an equally important part of the system. Also, have you put a wattmeter on it to see how many amps you're pulling? Then you have to worry about intake/exhaust areas. Does the model call for an exhaust duct?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:58 AM
Downwind3Zero
My Feedback: (10)

That setup is for a 6S Lipo. What is the exact weight, which Panther and how many Lipo did you try it with.
Chris
Old 06-28-2013, 01:39 PM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As already said you need a watt meter to measure amps and voltage of your system.

With few information probably will ask about your lipo batteries: Capacity and C rating. You should be using about 4000-5000 mah and 30C rating and above.If your batteries are not the adecuate you will never get out the power tha you need to fly it.

Your exaust diameter should be 75 mm if it has the low count impeller.

Cheers,

Old 06-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Ftbraggtrooper

Hi thanks for the replies, ok I just bought a different edf 90mm that puts out 5.2 kgs of thrust (11.4 lbs) 12 blade fan a lipo battery 5000mah 25c (I believe its 37 volts) I'm keeping the same ESC 150A the plane weighs about 8lbs with landing gear and all. The other edf put out 3.1 Kgs of thrust which is just over 6 lbs pounds of thrust. Once I install everything Ill let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Extreme_RC

Sounds like you are buying the lander made fans from hobbyking, heavy and the thrust ratings are optimistic at best.The 12 bladefansneed to be set up carefully with ducting to make them work. Exhaust should be larger than a normal 90mm fan like the wemotec, 78-80mm would be more suitable. Batteries will make a huge difference, if you are buying them from HK also then you are already limiting yourself as their packs are made from grade 2 cells and not the best for EDF, and a 25c pack is going to die real quick on that fan as it sucks a LOT of amps.

With all the money you spent you could have got one perfect fan setup that would work exactly as required. A little research always helps, have a look at www.extremerc.com.au and send me an email if you need any more help.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Ftbraggtrooper

Hi Extreme RC AUS Thanks so much for your help, yeah I'm new to EDFs and I just went by what I read and yup all products came from HK with the exception of the plane which is from Easy Tiger Models. I didn't want to buy all out high performance I want to start out this something to do more pattern flying. I have more experience with gas/glow airplanes. This is my first jet I assembled I eventually will get a turbine jet but I wanted to get a feel for jets via EDF. Again thanks for all your help.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Downwind3Zero
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Ftbraggtrooper
This is my first jet I assembled
Good luck!