Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help finding the perfect RC boat for fishing???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Help finding the perfect RC boat for fishing???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:51 PM
CarpCatMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help finding the perfect RC boat for fishing???

I'm new to this forum and new to rc boats. We do a lot of shore fishing for catfish and carp. I'm looking fora good RC Boat that we could use to take our "baited lines" out into the lake (beyond casting distance)!!We would need something that would have a minimum range of 100 yards. We will probably never want to go beyond 40 or 50 yards but 100 just to be safe. We will not be fishing with this boat, just running it out and dropping the baited linesand return to shore. The speed of the boat is not important!!!!I've been looking online for a few days and the one boat that seems to fit the bill is "Proboat Miss Geico 17 or 24". I kind of wanted to stay under $150 but open to any suggestions..Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:31 AM
CarpCatMan

Default RE: Help finding the perfect RC boat for fishing???

Come on I'm sure someone has knowledge about this!!! Thanks
Old 07-06-2013, 05:08 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have heard RUMORS this might not be legal in some states? I don't know that for a fact, so it would be best to check.

Also I would think if you took any boat, and made a shallow dish area on it that you lay your bait in... you could slowly drive out, while letting out string, once you were over your target you should be able to gently pull your bait off the bowl or platform.. dropping it to where you wanted.. just an idea to do it low tech and simple.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:54 AM
1320Fastback

Foodstick is correct about it being illegal in some states.
Believe it or not here in Commifornia it IS legal to do only as you say.
You can use a RC vehicle to deliver bait but CANNOT fish with it.
Fish MUST be landed BY hand.

All that being said I am building a airboat to do just this for mountain lakes here in the Serrias.
I plan on using tractor motor that will be 5" clear of the stern. At the stern there will be rudder hinge that will have a wire that a servo pull out releasing the line.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:20 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

There are lots of commercial bait boats out there.  It should take about five minutes to modify almost any of them to take out and drop a baited line, rather than just bait.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:03 PM
CarpCatMan

mfr02 .... any recommendation?? I've been looking on mainly the UK sites ...The shipping alone can run $100 .... that's crazy!! We just need something very basic to start with .... will probably never want todrop beyond 70-100 meters!!
Old 07-06-2013, 01:17 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Bait boats, as such, are not really part of my interest, but it should be remembered that probably all of the ones on the market were initially made by a boat modeler.  I have a problem here in the UK of searching the US as such - google here likes either the UK or the entire world.  Result is one in China (where else?) - http://www.dhgate.com/product/remote...5-1|2247144189 - and postage is much like what you noted from the UK.  
With the cost of making being much lower than buying, if you can't spot one more locally, you could consider making a stretched springer.  Stretched to give the payload you want.  This is basically a slightly shaped box with the simplest possible mechanics and the ability to be extensively reconfigured.  With the low cost of 4 channel 2.4GHz radios, fitting one with a hopper/release and controlling it should be no problem.