Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Precision Aerobatics Katana MD Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Precision Aerobatics Katana MD Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:27 AM
SkaBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Precision Aerobatics Katana MD Build and Fly

It balaned well without much movement of the battery. I didn't want to move it too far forward, so I added 1/4oz weight inside the front of the cowl and that got it perfect again whenI turned it inverted.

Still a bit puzzled by the rudder/KEbehavior. When Iflew my dad's 260 it was beautiful onKE, and when I pulled the battery out Itested the tension of his pull/pull cable and honestly I was shocked. It's SERIOUSLYwhatI'd consider "loose", having been told it should be tight and sound like a guitar string when plucked. WhenI had mine that loose on the KMD, even on high rates the plane would fall out of the sky when I put it onKE...

I'm actually using a weaker servo in the tail than I had on the pull/pull (cooked the servo motor of the original trying to get the cable tighter to see if that'd help - now THATwas tight!heh), and while it's not PERFECTyet, at this point it's trim and balancing to keep it level in KE, rather than falling out of the sky no matter whatI do, and Idon't need to have it at a super severe AoA to keep it up there.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:28 AM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

indeed it is... Still KE'ing mine on my 3 year old HS65hb's no problem to report.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:26 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

are you trying to KE on low rates by any chance?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:19 AM
SkaBob

Initially I had (because a few of my other 3d planes don't have a problem with it), but I was having trouble even getting the rudder to be effective in turning the plane in level, upright flight, so I got into a habit of keeping the rudder on high rates all the time.

On high rates it will KE with enough speed, power and the right angle of attack now - butthere's a good deal of coupling to the bottom of the plane that Ihave yet to try and mix out.

Really, I'm wondering if I should look to see if something's wrong with mine. Everyone's always said how effortless and amazing the plane is in every thread I've read about it, but mine's built nice and straight and honestly...If I had another electric to fly (it's winter up here, and nitro gets SUPERcold on your hands), I wouldn't really be that enthusiastic about taking the KMDout of the garage.

I'm going to see if Ican get the KE problems fixed with trim and mixing, but there hasn't been any good weather on the weekends lately for me to try that. I'm going to bring the KMD with me this saturday to see if there's room at the indoor place we're going to fly at. It's a huge dome that has multiple football (soccer for the Americans) fields in it, so if there isn't too much traffic it might work...

Really though...should Ibe having these sorts of problems, at all?Nobody's mentioned needing any mixing when inKE, or any problems withKE, and the videos I've seen don't require anywhere near the angle of attack that mine needs in that situation...

Mine isn't over-weight, and it's balanced perfectly. I can fly hands-off inverted, and it doesn't change it's flight angle if Iput it inverted on a 45 degree upline...
Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 PM
aerofundan

ORIGINAL: SkaBob

Initially I had (because a few of my other 3d planes don't have a problem with it), but I was having trouble even getting the rudder to be effective in turning the plane in level, upright flight, so I got into a habit of keeping the rudder on high rates all the time.

On high rates it will KE with enough speed, power and the right angle of attack now - but there's a good deal of coupling to the bottom of the plane that I have yet to try and mix out.

Really, I'm wondering if I should look to see if something's wrong with mine. Everyone's always said how effortless and amazing the plane is in every thread I've read about it, but mine's built nice and straight and honestly...If I had another electric to fly (it's winter up here, and nitro gets SUPER cold on your hands), I wouldn't really be that enthusiastic about taking the KMD out of the garage.

I'm going to see if I can get the KE problems fixed with trim and mixing, but there hasn't been any good weather on the weekends lately for me to try that. I'm going to bring the KMD with me this saturday to see if there's room at the indoor place we're going to fly at. It's a huge dome that has multiple football (soccer for the Americans) fields in it, so if there isn't too much traffic it might work...

Really though...should I be having these sorts of problems, at all? Nobody's mentioned needing any mixing when in KE, or any problems with KE, and the videos I've seen don't require anywhere near the angle of attack that mine needs in that situation...

Mine isn't over-weight, and it's balanced perfectly. I can fly hands-off inverted, and it doesn't change it's flight angle if I put it inverted on a 45 degree upline...
IF while in knife your KMD is tucking to the gear then you are definately waaay tail heavy, move your cg forward at full rudder it knife edges itself alone with no aileron / elevator correction required.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:25 AM
SkaBob

ORIGINAL: aerofundan

IF while in knife your KMD is tucking to the gear then you are definately waaay tail heavy, move your cg forward at full rudder it knife edges itself alone with no aileron / elevator correction required.
At PA's recommended balance point (the one in the manual), I was perfectly balanced before Iadded the 1/4 oz. to the front of the cowl with the battery I fly with in it (2200mah 3cell).

What other things can Ilook at that would cause coupling towards the gear?It's not gradual coupling...it's pretty severe unless Icorrect early on in KE...

From level flight my uplines are no-input straight, inverted and inverted uplines as well... That's what's got me puzzled about it. It should be behaving beautifully...
Old 01-19-2010, 04:03 AM
MalaysianFlyer

My KMD....

Old 04-17-2013, 06:58 PM
alchem13

Just starting a Katana MD build. Question I have is that my lipo's I have on hand are from 188g to 193g and was wondering if I will run into cg problems. Are people using heavier packs no prob, or should I leave wheel pants off? Want to use pull-pull so don't want to relocate rudder servo. Any feedback would be good. Know it is an old thread so...
Old 04-17-2013, 07:16 PM
3dsky
My Feedback: (84)

We are using 172g and 186g 3S batteries we move the CG around for a different feel. CG set range for us is the front servo mounting screws to the servo output shaft screw. Plane has a wide CG range. Both our planes are stock setup, keep the pants off until you get the plane set up. If you are on tall grass swap out the wheels to a bigger diameter then add the pants. We had problems with the wheels cracking and the axles wearing out the wheels. GREAT flying plane.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:21 PM
alchem13

Thanks for fast reply. Can't wait to get it in the air. Weather sucks for the rest of the week though.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:20 AM
happyal

Hello,

I'm interested in this plane as a first 3D plane. My question is does it fly like it does on the Phoenix sim?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:49 PM
3dsky
My Feedback: (84)

Fly’s better in real life, getting the CG, control setup (expo) for your style is going to be the key to success. Very light feel with the stock power will help you learn fast. Good Luck Great plane.