Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Lemon brand receiver

Old 06-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lemon brand receiver

Anyone have any experience with a Lemon rx? Their site is at [link=http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.php?route=common/home]Lemon Receiver[/link]

I normally use Spectrum receivers with my JR 9303/Spectrum 2.4 module. I have tried an Orange rx and found it worked OK. I had no problems with it and I have found that several people at my field use Oranges. When I heard of the Lemon receivers, I looked them up and since they were so low cost, I decided to try a couple. I bought a 6-channel and an 8-channel with satellite, both end pin. The total cost with shipping was $25. They came in about a week.

They don't have a case so they are small and light. I plan on getting some heat shrink to cover them up.

They both bound quickly to my tx using the normal Spectrum binding procedures. No instructions came with either rx. I had servos plugged into all channels and all of them worked. Tomorrow is Saturday and I plan to take them to the field for a good range check.

I am thinking of installing it in a Slow Stick for the first check just to get range and orientation. Next, I'll get an old glow powered plane to see how it handles engine vibration.

I will also check to see if the satellite connects with the Spectrum rx and if it also binds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47530.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1891643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61103.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1891644  
Old 06-18-2013, 01:57 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Lemon brand receiver

With a name like that I would be quite weary about using them
Old 06-18-2013, 02:08 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Use them with the FUBAR gyro !
Old 06-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Ed_Moorman

I did a range check and got a very long range. I haven't flown it yet.

Hey, Karol, I don't know if the Chinese know our alternate definition of "lemon." It looks like a copy of the Orange receiver without the case. I imagine they just went with the next citrus fruit. They could have gone with green or blue for a different color from orange. Of course, a green rx could be a lime rx.

Hey, I used to buy things and report on them for R/C Report.

Who remembers when Futaba radios were called MRC radios?

How about when Thunder Tiger made the Magnum engines for Hobby Shack, now Hobby People?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:50 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I still have a very nice running Magnum .46 and a fully functional Cirrus 5 ch FM radio from Hobby Shack.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:41 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the Ad listing the new FuBar Gyro... I thought that was kinda funny also, I guess the Chinese don't know what FUBAR stands for by most americans!!

I can hear it now, two pilots looking at the remains of a crashed heli and discussing the incident!!
"I don't understand why my heli crashed, I was using a Lemon Receiver with a FUBAR gyro!!"

Craig..
Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 AM
red-baron

Hi Ed M

Been looking a the lemon gear and wondered if you have flown it with your glow engine yet for a vibration check?
Also did the Lemon satellite work successfully with the spectrum receiver?

Thanks red-baron

Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

I did a range check and got a very long range. I haven't flown it yet.

Hey, Karol, I don't know if the Chinese know our alternate definition of ''lemon.'' It looks like a copy of the Orange receiver without the case. I imagine they just went with the next citrus fruit. They could have gone with green or blue for a different color from orange. Of course, a green rx could be a lime rx.

Hey, I used to buy things and report on them for R/C Report.

Who remembers when Futaba radios were called MRC radios?

How about when Thunder Tiger made the Magnum engines for Hobby Shack, now Hobby People?

Ed,

I remember MRC/Tamiya radios being available at the same time when Futaba radios were already out. I was stationed at Edwards AFB in 1978 and remember those both being available but I don't think they were the same company. In fact, my first "new" radio was a Futaba 6 channel AM set, used that radio for over 10 years before I used my 7FGK.

I also remember when World Engines marketed ASP engines which I believe are the predecessor of Magnum engines or at least the name marketed here in the U.S. by Hobby People today. Overseas I believe ASP is still available. I have two ASP .75 2 strokes nib that are/were pretty powerful in their day.

Anyway, that's how I remember it, but it's been a long time. Regards,
Old 07-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Ed_Moorman

The MRC radios toward the end were called MRC-Futaba. I also remember seeing Futaba radios concurrent with MRC. We even compared then and they appeared to be the same.

When OS & Super Tigre took their distributorships away from World Engines and gave it to Hobbico/Great Planes/Tower, John Maloney eventually went to China to get them to build RC engines. Bear in mind that the manufacturers aren't RC businesses, then are large machining operations. They make whatever the customer wants to his specifications. Maloney got started with ASP, for Awesome Speed & Power. His next engine line was Tiger Shark. Finally, in another factory, was his "high quality" line GMS. He died and the 3 lines for World Engines fell apart.

Meanwhile, Hobby Shack, now Hobby People, sold Magnum Pro and GP engines made by Thunder Tiger in Taiwan. TT went on their own and Hobby People contracted the people who made the ASP to build the new Magnum.

Everyone was getting their own house brand engine to sell at a little less than the big two, so Hobbico had the Tower brand engines made where the GMS engines were made. Later on, after the Super Tigre owned died, Hobbico bought the tooling and moved it to China where the GMS & Tower engines are made and continued with Super Tigres. Remember when OS had their liner peeling problem. I think, and I could be wrong, the Tower engines were a fallback for Hobbico in case OS wouldn't own up and fix the problem. That time was when the Chinese engines gained a lot of popularity in the US and Hobbico/Tower was losing a lot of business.

After Horizon struck out with the Russian MDS, they went to the same company that makes the ASP & Magnum to make the Evolution. Rather than using a rebranded Magnum, Horizon set their own specifications for their engines. The manufacturer didn't care-whatever the customer wants.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Ed_Moorman

About the Lemon RX, I still haven't flown it. We have had a lot of rain here on the north Gulf coast that has put a damper on RC.

DAve & I went out this morning hoping for a clear spot. My test plane is an old Lanier Stinger 40 ARF powered by a Saito .91. The plane has been on floats for several years with a Corona receiver and module, so oddball radios aren't new to it. I did a range check with the receiver in the plane, then it started to rain. Grrr. We waited that out and I fueled, cranked and got ready and it started raining again. Ratz! We waited it out, cranked again and it started raining again. Double grrr & ratz!! Mother nature had suckered us 3 times so we gave up and went home.

Maybe tomorrow we'll catch a break.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Ed_Moorman

Got a test flight in at last. The plane is a Stinger 40 that has been on floats for 3-5 years. The Saito .72 wasn't enough power for good acro with floats, so I changed to a Saito .91. This pulled the plane on floats really well. I just left is in figuring I'd get good vertical climb. I did. I pulled straight just after lift off and headed up. One of the guys asked it I was going for a range check. I guess he didn't know I was testing the Lemon receiver.

I took the plane a good distance out and did some acro. When I got to a double Immelmann, the engine quit in the outside portion. Well, rats. I figured I'd have to mess with the tank location or the needles. I brought it in and found the pressure line had come off-all the way off. The pressure tap had come out of the muffler. Naturally the engine had quit. That's the second time that has happened with this engine.

Anyway back to the receiver check. It was a short flight, maybe 5 minutes, but the little Lemon 6-channel performed as advertised. Did I mention it has 2 receivers built in and 2 separate antennas. They are in line, extending from either side of the receiver, but you can set them 90 deg. to each other. I would like a longer flight, but for now, the Lemon looks good.

The first photo is with the Stinger on floats with the Saito .91. The second photo is before I mounted floats. Engine is a Saito .72.

Name:	Xv63423.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1898374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63071.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1898375  
Old 07-07-2013, 01:32 PM
red-baron

Cheers ED good to know the Lemon apears to be ok with IC.

"I will also check to see if the satellite connects with the Spectrum rx and if it also binds."
Did you get a chace to check compatability of a Lemon satellite with a specktrum rx?

Thanks red-baron
Old 07-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Ed_Moorman

I have flown the Stinger 40 with the Lemon 6-channel a few times more. Distance and control seems good, just like a Spectrum or Orange RX. I had the Stinger on floats and if the Lemon keeps looking, I'm putting floats back on it.

I haven't flown the 8-channel yet. I'm getting to that plane. I did buy a second 6-channel and a second 8-channel RX.

I'll get around to testing a Spektrum with a Lemon satellite.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Ed_Moorman

Default Lemon RX Test

I have flown the Spektrum/JR Lemon receivers in 3 different planes so far without a hitch. The latest plane is a PBF (Pizza Box Flier). I had one several years ago and it flew well. A buddy wanted to try some Coroplast & downspout planes, so I built a couple.

The PBF is a 24"x24" square of Coroplast with CF spar stiffeners, an aluminum channel spine and a ply engine mount. I am using a TT .42GP for power-maybe the same one I used on the first one. On high rate I have 70 degrees of elevon travel. The PBF will flat spin upright and inverted and flip end-over-end. The past weekend, I got into a weird, nose straight down spin and couldn't recover. The PBF boinked in on its nose. Neither the plane or engine was hurt.

The Lemon RX is still working. It's Velcroed to the wing in a zip-lock bag next to the spine and vibration hasn't seemed to bother it so far.

Name:	WP_000192.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	1940402   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000185.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	1940403   Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza plans mk2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1940415  

Last edited by Ed_Moorman; 11-18-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Ed_Moorman

LEMON SATELLITE RECEIVER

For those of you who were interested in the lemon satellite receiver, I have done a basic initial test. I did install a Lemon satellite into a Spektrum 7-channel RX and bound it.
1. The connections on the lead match exactly.
2. The lights flash exactly the same as on the Spektrum RX.
3. The time to bind seemed the same as with the Spektrum satellite.
4. I could tell no difference in the 2 satellites other than the Lemon doesn't have a case.

I DID NOT:
1. I didn't do a long range check. It has been raining and slightly cold here on the north Florida coast (Don't even mention you fly in snow. I've lived in snow country and I like it better down here).
2. I didn't fly it yet. I will do a flight check as soon as we get a little better weather down here.
3. I didn't test it with an Orange receiver. I own a couple of Orange 6-channels, but not one that has a satellite port.

PRELIMINARY CONCLUSIONS
1. They seem to work OK for me. I've had no problem to date.
2. I've only flown them in .40-.46 glow powered planes. I have noticed no problems due to vibration, but I'll keep my eye on it.
3. The price is right. $4.90 for Lemon satellite + $3.00 shipping, as I recall. This was for 4 receivers. The Orange satellite is $12.74 when I checked a few minutes ago on Thanksgiving Day 2013.
4. I'm going to buy a few more of the satellites to try on other planes with Spektrum receivers. I'll put one of my 8-channel Lemons in another old plane and try it.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:33 PM
glider73

Ed,

Got the lemon receiver bound to the Taranis there is a +- setting that needs to be set to + in the Taranis external module settings menu. They also bind to the Orange TX module in my Turnigy 9XR transmitter. Flew with one of them in a sailplane worked fine. See you at the EAM field.

Keith