Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

LI-FE battery pack, good bad?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

LI-FE battery pack, good bad?

Old 07-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LI-FE battery pack, good bad?

Fromeco LiFe packs are 2300 or 4600 Mah. Sounds like you had pre A123 batteries.

John
Old 07-06-2013, 09:35 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

It has been along time since I used the pack ( haven't flown that much in the last two years [:@] ) I wanted to know what was the capacity after 4 years, my knowledge on LI-FE batts is not that great, maybe I damage the pack by cycling it but after all the time I have spent on it and this thread with all the comments and suggestions I have acquired tons of info and definitely I know a lot more about LI-FE batts ,

When I used to fly my airplanes every weekend using NI-CAD or NI-MH was not a concern because I was on top of the packs, I knew the condition of every pack I had and I checked them after every flight ( I saved one or two airplanes doing that [&:] ) so, any of the usual inconvenience on that type of batts was easily avoided, as I said it before I don't fly that often at the moment also I have to drive about 40 mim. to my first club field to find out that is not flyable ( low ceiling or too windy [:@] ) or I have to drive 1 1/2 hr to my second club where conditions are 90% of the time flyable all this plus family is restricting my flying ( at the moment )

Knowing this I want now to change all my RX packs to a type of cell that is more manageable or should I say less manageable where I don't have to be too concerned about my RX packs been drained or completely flat because they have been sitting for some time.

It may be may own fault that this pack has gone bad ( FYI my second pack is just fine and capacity is 2200 after 4 years ) but it has helped me make the decision to change all my RX packs to LI-FE batts. yes I been doing my homework reading on LI-FE everywhere including the pages from http://www.hangtimes.com/
Old 07-06-2013, 09:58 AM
CARS II

These are the packs I'm using, I never had any problems with the batt packs or any of the electronics I got for my Boomerang or any product I got for my prop airplanes,

Let me be clear, this thread is to talk about LI-FE batts so I and others can benefit from all the info and comments suggested by all of you and I thank you for your time and suggestions, this is the business that I have chosen to get my electronics and batts for my airplanes because my own reasons and I don't want to interrupt my relation with them because this thread ( I know you guys [>:] ) so, please stay on topic thank you.

The battery on the nose is my own creation
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56252.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1898070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55323.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1898071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96050.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	1898072  
Old 07-06-2013, 10:27 AM
CARS II

This is a product that I would get right away if they made it to work with LI-FE.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16617.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	1898073  
Old 07-06-2013, 11:04 AM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

EDR-207 is what I use for LIFE or A123 tests... http://electrodynam.com/rc/EDR-207/index.shtml
Old 07-06-2013, 02:34 PM
osvaldopv
My Feedback: (12)

Can someone tell me if I have to put my LiFe batteries in storage mode when not flying for a period of time?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Gene Margiotti
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Guys,

A lot of stuff in this thread [&o] - so I might as well jump in and make a suggestion. Go to www.hangtimes.com and read the battery FAQ section about LiFe batteries and A123 batteries. Definitely all of the answers to the care and feeding of these batteries are there, just read .

Gene
Old 07-06-2013, 04:03 PM

+ 2
ORIGINAL: Jgwright

Why are you cycling your a123 packs? I have not recycled mine since I bought them. I understood cycling was only needed with Nicad batteries. I have not had problems with pack going down. Perhaps you are killing them or maybe they are not genuine a123 packs. When charging the cellpro chargers are the best for a123. They tell you what is left in the pack before you charge. Charging starts at 4 amps and reduces as it peaks. Charging and balancing only takes a few minutes.

John
Old 07-06-2013, 04:45 PM
CARS II

Been there done that, I want to hear what the other guys are doing or what they think.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:48 PM
cyphur01

The only reason I suggested cycling is to assure the capacity of the pack. You can get total capacity out of a pack with a good charger. Thunderpower 820 will show total discharge mah and charge. If it is set up properly, you can get a pretty good idea of how much the pack's total capacity is. A123 do not require cycling to get them into condition or anything like that. They get the same capacity every time. No matter how much you abuse them. Life packs, I have found to be more susceptible to nontoleration of overcharge/discharge, but that being said, if you treat them right, ie. do not blast charge them, make sure they are balanced, they work equally as well as a123. I have life packs in my skymaster L viper and 1/6 F-16 and carf tucano with no problems.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:46 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Ha Carlos like the beer can weight. Might help put out the fire. LOL Whats that power box thing? Looks like extra weight and with Futaba its not nessary. On my way to Kentucky Jets. Dan
Old 07-06-2013, 07:22 PM
CARS II

Hi Dan

Nice that you are having fun around the east ( when I grow up I want to do just the same wife included )

Ha ha, after Cging the jet I find out that I needed a full flavor Sierra Nevada on the nose for extra weight