Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Old 07-08-2013, 04:13 AM
Mack66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

Sean,

Awesome! What's the name of your club? Do they have a website?

Mack
Old 07-08-2013, 04:51 AM
scasari

Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

Hey Norm! The Club name is Model Club 77. Its actually pretty far away from us but when we went there to visit, we were hooked! It was really nice and the people were very helpful! Heres the link...http://acvilleparisis.free.fr/index.htm -Sean
Old 08-19-2013, 08:19 AM
dooleyje

Hey everyone. It has been a while. A lot of things have happened since my last post. First, We have moved to another house closer to my job at the store. Deb has retired and has been growing her own business. I am teaching airplane flying as well as helicopter training. Sad part (yeaa right) it keeps me at the flyng field 4 days a week. I currently have 6 heli and 5 airplane students. The plank students are learning via buddy box. My heli students get a mixture of class roon and flying sessions.

I recently snagged a MCPX BL and I have to say it is what the first two versions should have been. I found nothing that needs to be upgraded or modified and is very powerful allowing for the low grass chopping inverts and plently of power to blast out for recovery. Mine has been through several crashes and other than blowing the grass out of it, no fix-un is needed. If you want to learn 3D this is the one to get. Be sure to get plenty of 2 cell 220mah-300mah batteries to take with you. Trust me, you will be hogging a flying station at your local field.

New products worth mentioning, The Blade ProX helicopters with the 700, 600 and 550. These are pro series helicopters and the quality is outstanding. Carbon frames and Alum head and tail with torque tube. I am finishing a 550x kit I got for myself and it is a bag of bolts type kit. like the Trex kits with sub assemblies already to finish. be sure to check for thread locker. The manual is super and easy to understand and is in logical order. All bags are clearly marked. The kit arrived with motor and bec. It did not have an ESC. You can use 100amp for mild flying and 130amp for smack down 3D. The combo kits that have the esc will have an Eflight 130. Horizon has a warning that a few esc have bit the dust. Well, so has Castle. I plan on using a Castle 130 edge. Sadly, the great Ice100 is discontinued. The down side is a few plastic parts such as the lower bearing block, antirotaion bracket,Tail arm and horizontal fin mount. All can be upgraded to metal. The heli uses three main bearing blocks. The uper two are used to mount the cyclic servos. The tail servo is mounted inboard. Head and tail have thrust bearings.It also comes with carbon blades and Glass canopy. The tail has two bearings supporting the torque tube.

See ya,
JIm

Last edited by dooleyje; 08-21-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Random Person

[HR][/HR]I've got a question... I just got my wltoys v912 heli today, and I tried to fly it and it wont stay steady!

Its my third helicopter, but I'm still fairly new.
I'm not sure how to fix it, or if I'm just clueless.
When its on mode one or two, the tail rotor seems to overpower the rest of my helicopter and it spins in uncontrollable circles. When its on mode 3 or 4, it drifts off to the right. I've tried to fix the trim, but that does nothing.
On mode one and two, the rotor blade on the controllers' screen thing is showing that there are 3 bars on the right side, which I assume is making it spin so much, and I can't get the bars to go back down, like how it shows in the manual (which says nothing about how to fix it).
On mode three and four, it's the little direction thingy that shows 3 bars on the right side, which wont go down either.

I just tried to fly it a little while ago, and it started to smell like burning electrics in the room, and then the tail motor started smoking and stopped. It seems as though it burnt out, and i literally just got it 5 hours ago, and only 'flew' it twice.

By now I'm pretty sure that there is actually something wrong with it.

I really don't know what to do.

If anyone knows how to help, I would really appreciate it!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:55 PM
dooleyje

Take it back where you got it if new. spinneing shows me the motor is not keeping up with main rotors. If you check it you may have carpet hair wraped around tail shaft.If you want to do helicopters you need to take the time to understand why if works. Sadly the toy type helicopters are not repairable in most cases.

Jim
Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Mack66

Okay it has once again been a while since I've been here. Excuse is I've been busy playing!

got my Outrage Velocity working perfectly only then to have the engine fail on me. Engine is a Thunder Tiger RL-56H. Had a leaky fuel tank giving me problems. Replaced it, had to readjust mixture in extremely hot an humid weather. Engine overheated and self-destructed at a 10-foot hover. For someone who never practiced autos at the field, I sure have gotten good at it.

Got replacement engines on back order, so meanwhile will fly my Hirobo SDX (which I'm selling - must figure out how to offer it on this site).

By the way Sean was here on summer break and I had him flying my Sceadu (also for sale - see above). Sean hasn't forgotten a thing about flying helicopters! That Sceadu still flies great. I know JD really enjoyed his. JD you still have yours?

Greg and I have a small dilemma. We use Align 3G main blades, HD600NT. On offer at several mail order places, we have found Align blades that do not have the label "3G" on the blades but are advertised as 3G blades. PN for these are HD600N & HD600E. My question is, what is the difference among thes blades? Are they the same only mfg at different times?

Hope everything is going well with y'all.

JD hope all is well with your new digs!

Mack
Old 08-25-2013, 10:50 AM
dooleyje

Hey Mack, Both blades are 3g type blades. The 600e is the newer version. We do not use flaybarless blades and really can't feelmuch difference.The FBL are tip heavy but use what you have. I use Edge and Align 600d or what ever I get a sale on. Yep I still have the Scheadu. I think I would go for OS Hypers over TT motors. Never a problem.

See Ya,

Jim
Old 09-02-2013, 05:18 AM
Jonie

Hi i am a heli flyer an i want to buy a gas rc heli that can fly for some time and carry some weight. I have been locking one the DHL Aeolus 50 nitro gas rc helicopter 8 channel and the Large Scale 26cc Zenoah Engine 3D Capable Gas-powered RC Helicopter - Upgrade Version - RTF are theese okay for me? (I havent flewn more than half a year)
Old 09-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Jonie

Hi i am a heli flyer an i want to buy a gas rc heli that can fly for some time and carry some weight. I have been locking one the DHL Aeolus 50 nitro gas rc helicopter 8 channel and the Large Scale 26cc Zenoah Engine 3D Capable Gas-powered RC Helicopter - Upgrade Version - RTF are theese okay for me? (I havent flewn more than half a year)
Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 PM
dooleyje

Jonie, First off, what kind of weight are you trying to lift? If you are wanting photos or video I would pass on helis and say, do quads. Keep in mind that anything nitro or gas has a bunch of vibration so gyro stablized gimbles would be in order, hence the reason for electric helicopters. Now a quad machine may be better for you because of the nice electronic stuff you can hang off of it such a GPS position holding and so forth. A big helicopter is going to be more difficult to handle and very costly to repair and noisy. Be sure to check with your local law enforcment before you attempt to photo. Folks are very touchy about that and flying over their property.
Jim
Old 09-11-2013, 07:37 PM
dooleyje

Hello folks Just a note for our multirotor folks. The new Blade 350QX shipment is on it's way and if you want to get some video it is GO PRO ready. I have recently built the new pro series Blade 550x and I have to say that the quality is awsome. Lots of room and easy to build with a great manual in logical steps. The quality will rival anything I have seen to date.

Jim
Old 01-08-2014, 05:55 PM
dooleyje

Hello everyone. I hope everyone had a good holiday season. Not much going on here other than work and no new machines in the stable. We are in a deep freeze so a bit tooo cold for this old man. I haven't heard from many folks lately so tell us what you are up to and what new helis/quads did Santa bring?

Jim
Old 03-05-2014, 05:07 PM
dooleyje

Hello everyone. I hope everyone has their winter projects completed and ready for the thaw.

Jim
Old 10-25-2014, 04:09 PM
matty_p80

Hi Jim and everyone!

long time no speak! hope you all are in fine fettle! things are just pretty normal across the pond: i have changed aircraft types and am now working on the Lynx Mk8 with the aim of getting onto the new Wildcat which is the Lynx replacement! might have some work in Cyprus or Maylasia on Blackhawks again but we'll see!

as for my herd, i still have the Robbe Moskito's ( x 3) which don't get much of an airing, my mainstay and fave - my Logo 500SE and have just purchased the Hobby King Assault 450 but with a caveat that i didn't purchase directly from them but from a guy on e-bay who had imported a couple! after my last experience with their LiPo's and their appalling customer service i refuse to use their online services!!! that said, for £140 GBP it is quite a lot of heli for the buck!!! what a quandry!!!!

i have lost one of the herd: i managed to crash my B400 after the tail just blew out and a guy at work is just getting into the hobby and was looking to get a kit, so i sold him the B400 (might as well have been a kit as pretty much everything was damaged) with ally case and oodles of spares for a very reasonable £50! i give him about a month of flying and he'll be wanting a FBL system as he's been bit hard by the heli bug! :-)

Been hankering to get my own business going on UAS' doing aerial photography but the cost is the prohibitive thing! need to win the lottery i think! ha ha ha! over here the CAA have decreed that anyone doing it for any form of reward must have a BNUC-S qualification (Basic National UAS Certificate - Small Unmanned Aircraft) which is everything bar getting into a real aircraft!! where my local flying field is, they also have a business building and teaching RC helis and multirotors and they're already a practical assessment centre but they hope to have the ground school going fairly soon! it will still cost me but at least i know them!!!!

not much else to report! life goes on, still don't have enough helis and definitely not enough money for the ones i already own! family is well and my daughter is 8 1/2 yrs old now and growing like a bean shoot!!

big Matty hugs to all and hope everything is splendid for you!

Matty
Old 10-25-2014, 05:30 PM
dooleyje

Matty Please send me your email address via PM.