Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Older Dx7 Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 PM
WI53072

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older Dx7 Question

Guys,

I am trying to complete my set up on my 1/4 scale Super Decathlon and have am using an older Dx7. I am hoping that there exists a radio work-around (mix) to gain more linearity on my throttle control. Presently at about half throttle is no different than my full throttle. I do not have any channels left since my gear switch is used to kill the motor via a optic kill switch and I am using two channels for aileron and two channels for the elevator halves. I have been trying to set the high and low travel points but no changes. Due to servo geometry my low stick travel adjust is set at 122 and my upper travel point is set at 60. I hope there is mix or something in lieu of having to play around with the actual physical throttle servo install.

Thanks Very Much Guys, I really do appreciate your help on this!

Paul
Old 07-08-2013, 12:11 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Older Dx7 Question

Try
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/DX7_Manual.pdf
Pages 92 and 93

My DX-8s are quite different.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:22 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WI53072

Guys,

I am trying to complete my set up on my 1/4 scale Super Decathlon and have am using an older Dx7. I am hoping that there exists a radio work-around (mix) to gain more linearity on my throttle control. Presently at about half throttle is no different than my full throttle. I do not have any channels left since my gear switch is used to kill the motor via a optic kill switch and I am using two channels for aileron and two channels for the elevator halves. I have been trying to set the high and low travel points but no changes. Due to servo geometry my low stick travel adjust is set at 122 and my upper travel point is set at 60. I hope there is mix or something in lieu of having to play around with the actual physical throttle servo install.

Thanks Very Much Guys, I really do appreciate your help on this!

Paul
Your mechanical setup is just as important as the programming. That determines how much Travel you have available. As you go out on the servo arm, you get more Travel and as you go in on the throttle arm you get more travel. You want to keep the Travel mumbers as high as possible to get the best Resolution. I find that if the Low Throttle Travel is too small a number, your Throttle Trim does virtually nothing.

You get Linearity by setting up a Throttle Curve. This is usually on Mix 1.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:41 PM
WI53072

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Busch,

I will knock around on mix 1 and see what it is all about. I have lots of travel, just seems like it could be more representative of stick position.

Thanks!

Paul
Old 07-08-2013, 04:24 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WI53072

Busch,

I will knock around on mix 1 and see what it is all about. I have lots of travel, just seems like it could be more representative of stick position.

Thanks!

Paul
I was looking at the DX7 manual and it looks like Throttle Curve is not available in Acro mode, only Heli mode.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

You want to set up your mechanical linkage such that it allows as much physical servo travel as possible (i.e. short servo arm and long throttle arm.) That will give you more servo resolution to play with resulting in less throttle movement per amount of stick movement. This will make the throttle less sensitive. Also, center the servo arm so that when you are about 1/2 throttle the servo arm is centered (i.e. 1500us) (This may be your problem)? This will make you overall travel more linear. This is also where a servo programmer comes in real handy!

Then, you limit your servo travel via the transmitter to prevent bottoming the servo against the throttle stops on both ends. When you get the mechanical settings correct and transmitter programmed correctly, then you should have your trim adjusted slightly below or at center. Then you can use the trim slider switch to actually lower the throttle to change your idle, right on down to shutting the engine off. Of course you have to remove the throttle stop screw to do that. While you are at it, you may want to remove the throttle spring too. That way the servo will use less power to hold the throttle open.

Once I get things set up like this, before I start the engine, I bump up the idle a few clicks and when I get ready to land, I bump the idle down a few clicks. That way, when you are on a hard surface runway, you can slow her down enough to actually have it sit on the pavement w/o moving, without flying around with that low of an idle. Gives you an adjustable high and low idle, on the fly, so to speak.
<o></o>