Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

balancing question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

balancing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:15 PM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default balancing question

hello all. im balancing my 4 star 60 and it is really tail heavy. now, looking at the plane, i realized i mounted the battery in the cockpit. so i wondered and moved the battery behind the fuel tank. before the move, i was looking at 6.5 ounces in the nose to balance, after the move, it seemed like it was only going to take 2.5 ounces. the battery is a 2 cell lipo. does this sound right, or am i looking at it wrong. like to hear what you guys have to say. thanks.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:41 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: balancing question

How about moving the battery all the way forward directly behind the firewall instead of behind the tank in most cases it can be positioned above or below the tank.

John
Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 AM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

good call! ill give it a try. ill see if i can squeeze it under the tank. not sure if there is enough room.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:30 AM
JohnBuckner

Or if that fails then I have done quite a few ships like this. If done right the batterys actually run cooler. There seems to be also no detectiable differance to speak of in vibration either.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51335.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1894922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86289.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1894923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75724.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1894924  
Old 07-01-2013, 05:50 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No foam around it? I can't imagine welds lasting, but then I have never done this?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:56 PM
JohnBuckner

I have done quite a few problematical airplanes forward to the side or above the engine and none have ever failed to date from vibration and in reality I beleve the forward cantilevered box or battery plate provides more vibration isolation than when folks jam a foam wrapped battery right up aginst the rear of the firewall. Those mounts are not connected to the engine mounts, They are cantilevered forward from the firewall.

The other dire consequence people suggested would happen ten or twelve years ago when I first started doing this with those certain airplanes was that I would overheat my battery packs. That at the time I simply ignored and continued to reap the benefit until some years later after I got my first Aurora with the full telemetry and the five extra heat sensors I installed one on the forward battery and a second battery foam wraped back inside the fuselage. Both Y'd together and sure enough soon into the the first flights the surface temperature of the buried pack was running considerably hotter. As I had suspected all along common sense placement within the cowling and The battery will benefit from the cooling airflow within a pressure cowl and the close proximity to the engine does not make any difference.

I will continue to use this method where applicable in some airplanes that may benefit. It works and it works well.

John

Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 PM
koastrc

John I have seen a lot of the battery placement you use lately. I have observed many things that are so different. Velcro used to mount receivers and batteries. I know it works I see it all the time, but it is hard to break old habits. Thanks for the pictures, enjoyed them.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:55 PM
KW_Counter

Koastrc,

I agree with you, it's hard to change; but I'm trying.
Latest plane I did I Velcroed the battery in
then lashed it with a zip tie.
If you look at it you will realize the Velcro is is acting
as the dampener for the battery.
The same is true for the receiver.

Sure is a lot easier than trying to stuff all of that foam in.
And some planes, like the Something Extra, don't have a lot of room.

Good Luck,

KW_Counter
Old 07-06-2013, 02:34 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tlojak38

hello all. im balancing my 4 star 60 and it is really tail heavy. now, looking at the plane, i realized i mounted the battery in the cockpit. so i wondered and moved the battery behind the fuel tank. before the move, i was looking at 6.5 ounces in the nose to balance, after the move, it seemed like it was only going to take 2.5 ounces. the battery is a 2 cell lipo. does this sound right, or am i looking at it wrong. like to hear what you guys have to say. thanks.
Your question about it sounding right is correct, especially on the 4*60. On mine I almost ran out of places to stick lead. For a plane that has been around as long as it has, I was surprised how out of balance it is.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Mr-Punk
My Feedback: (2)

Those 4 stars, I've always balanced them on the front edge of the spar. with the airplane inverted. Then if ya'll got some hair scoot the CG to the back edge of the spar. Then it will really snap roll and spin! 4stars are fun airplanes!

Peace,
J