Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

*Aeroworks 50cc S2 Sport Cub Build*

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

*Aeroworks 50cc S2 Sport Cub Build*

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:24 AM
Planejaw
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: *Aeroworks 50cc S2 Sport Cub Build*

I've probably got about 20 flights on my yellow and red S-2 Cubs. One odd thing on the yellow one is the landing gear needs a little work. I had to mount the landing-gear axles in a vice and bend in some toe-in and positive camber. I also removed the springs from the landing-gear shock-tube and stretched out the long spring a little to give a little more "tightness" to the landing gear. There is a little more travel when landing, as the gear isn't pre-compressed, but still not a lot. I have 4 1/2" Du Bro air-filled on my red one and 6" air-filled on my yellow one. The gear on the red S-2 didn't need any tinkering with, but I'll probably work on it a little this winter.

At just over 23 pounds (with a DA-50 on the yellow and DLE-55 on the red one), this plane loves wheel landings. Three pointing at this weight and with this type of undercarriage almost always gives a bit of a bounce (but not too bad), particularly with air-filled wheels, but wheel landings are a thing of beauty. Flaps are helpful, not only to slow down your approach speed, but also gives you a more level pitch attitude when landing. Wheel landings do, however, eat up a little more runway. Don't let your speed get too low. She does handle well in the wind at that weight, even with a fairly large wing area.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:28 AM
Planejaw

Sorry, here's a couple of photos of the yellow S-2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80908.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	1897008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63203.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	1897009  
Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Planejaw

And a couple more of the red one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61011.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	1897010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20110.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1897011  
Old 07-04-2013, 02:26 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

I got in one flight yesterday. The muffler is working great and the OS40cc four stroke engine is perfect power for a scale cub. This is not a 3D plane for me. It took maybe 10' of runway to lift off once the tail became airborne. My CG is a little back so it was touchy on the elevator so I may adjust that. Otherwise it flew great in 5-10 cross wind. Landing was good, I did not use flaps. The OS has a low idle so not a problem slowing her down. She did bounce once with the air filed 6†tires. So I may try the smaller solid tiers until I am familiar with the plane. My gear was toed out so onto the vice and that was not an issue. As for the dreaded field setup. I found that it was not as bad as some have been reporting. I use the 4-40 and locking nut on the wing side of the struts and the pins where the struts attach to the fuselage. Takes a little longer then my Sbach but not much.

TB
Old 07-04-2013, 02:16 PM
TonyBuilder

Well the second flight was a bust. Dead stick on the second flight. Flew for 3 min then at mid range on throttle started running rough, then back fire, engine died and spun the prop. Second flight did the same. We tried to get it running so we could adjust the needles but could not get it to fire. Checked the plug and was getting no spark so I will swap the ignition tomorrow and try again. Disappointing to say the least.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:02 AM
Planejaw

TB,

Keep pitching in there. Sounds like once you get the needles where you want them, you'll have a very nice flying bird.

I don't think it matters what type of tires you have on this one, with the springs pretty stiff and 23 or so pounds of airplane, you'll get a bounce unless you wheel-land it very smoothly. I have 4 1/2" air-filled on my red one and 6" air-filled on the yellow one. The 6" tires seem to give a little more bounce than the smaller ones. You can always let some air out of them or let the air out and they'll still have enough stiffness to work well.

I don't do much aerobatic flying, other than occasional loops, rolls, hammerhead. I did find that she will develop into a very nice tight spin and almost go into a full flat spin. I had one that developed to the point where using opposit rudder and down elevator still resulted in about two full turns to come out. But that's like most cub, except at this mass/weight, she will decend with some speed in the spin.

I had two dead-stick landings when I had a DA-50 under the bonnet (but none with my DLE-55's). She will glide very well. But with the engine running at idle with even partial flaps hanging out, there's a lot of drag there and you have to be sure you maintain your airspeed on final, particularly if you are wheel-landing it.

Keep us posted on your flights and send some photos if you can.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:09 PM
TonyBuilder

I got one more flight in, I'm flying without the cowl for break in, engine is very touchy on the needles so still working on that. Had a hair raising take off, once commuted it turned sharply to the right and headed strait for the fence, lifted and pitched left violently, hit the wing tip and recovered to level flight. Scared the crap out of me. So now I'm taking off and landing from the grass (when I get her back in the air). I got the 4.5 air filled Dubro tires on for the grass. I hope I get some flights in this weekend.
Also I have an extra set of wing struts and two good wings so I'm going to clip them and have two wing options. I'm clipping them on the third rib.
TB
Old 07-11-2013, 04:04 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use less throttle on takeoff. Advance to about half throttle and wait for the plane to accelerate. If you force it with lots of throttle torque can overpower the rudder's ability to counter it.
Just my experience with the model.
SunDevilPilot
Old 07-13-2013, 03:56 AM
TonyBuilder

Exactly what my mentor said, thanks.

TB
Old 07-14-2013, 11:48 AM
TonyBuilder

I worked out the problem with the OS engine and got two good flights in today. I took off from the grass, slowly advancing the throttle and she tracked nice and strait, took a good 50' to lift off, nice and scale. Landings were wheel landings in the grass, no bounce at all. Shes a keeper. TB
Old 06-03-2014, 01:00 PM
tom2bell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 50cc sport cub with nave lights and 8.75" tundra
Old 06-10-2014, 04:00 AM
teckbot
My Feedback: (2)

Great looking bird Tom, love the wheels.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:56 PM
teckbot
My Feedback: (2)

Has anyone tried to shoehorn a DLE60 twin in the Cub?