Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Good all around transmitter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:19 AM
sport10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good all around transmitter?

ORIGINAL: ronwc

I use the Futaba 8J and use the 6 and 8 channel FHSS Futaba rx's, about $35 to $55 each. Plus, when I bought the all about 6 months ago, i paid $239 with two rx's from Tower with $40 off coupon.
And how much would a FASST version be. Quite a bit more expensive. In the end a spektrum dx7 or dx8 would probably be what I would buy if I was interested in the bind and fly models.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:21 PM
rexbirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: JohnPQ
While I have not chosen a specifc transmitter the Specktrum DX8 and the Futaba 8J seem to be the direction I want to go in... I think.
John,

Welcome back! Even though I work for Spektrum and really want you to buy our products, I really suggest that you investigate a few things before you make a decision. First off, get your hands on both radios. Feel them. Maybe your local shop has a sim so you can test-fly both on it. You're going to be holding that radio for years to come. Make sure it's one that is comfortable to you.

Next, check out what others locally are using. You don't want to own Brand X if everybody in your club is flying Brand Y. It will be much easier for you to get help if you follow the crowd a bit. If both brands are common at your club, that makes things a little easier. Don't listen to the Ford vs. Chevy arguments, though. If you can get help locally (club or shop) for one brand better than the other, that should go a long way toward your decision. On the other hand, if you're a bit individualistic, ignore them all and come here for questions

Those are my 2 big points - #1 is feel, #2 is local support.

BTW, Futaba does have some OK products too, but I think ours are the best. Especially since I wrote the DX8's AirWare code (the part you use).

Which brings me to my first question: Does either transmitter have an edge as far as versatility? What I mean by that is, I understand the Specktrum is wonderful for BNF due to all of the models available but will it still be as 'wonderful' when I move to scratch build planes?
Yes, very much so. Most of us in Spektrum are modelers. Our club holds a Builders Contest every year, and I'm the CD for it. Almost every plane in my house is built from scratch, plans or a kit - only a few ARFs here.

I live in the boonies and will probably be purchasing my transmitter online. I''ve noticed a big price range for the transmitters and while I intend to buy from a reputable vendor I the price ranges got me wondering about possible older/newer versions of the same model. As an example: is there more than one version of the DX8 with the newer version having more capabilites? Is this something to be concerned with or will any DX8 be the same as any other?
The code in the DX8 can be updated by a file you download from the web. We send out e-mails to registered owners when an update is available. One will be going out in a few days to announce availability of Sailplane mode for the DX8.

Even though you live in the boonies, for a few hundred dollar radio it makes sense to visit a hobby shop in town to feel both radios first if you can.

Andy
Replying late I know but that was a very comendable reply Andy. I fly old JR (when Spektrum and JR were still friends) and love it. I too agree that feel is important.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:37 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

JR and Spektrum are still friends, Rex. They get serviced on the same workbenches, and sold from the same warehouses, and delivered to the warehouses on the same trucks.

Andy