Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Need help!! Not good at this! V. Meister 109

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Need help!! Not good at this! V. Meister 109

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:19 PM
bpaith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!! Not good at this! V. Meister 109

Awhile back, when I was young, I purchased a Vailly Aviation FW190 kit from PCK. However, I was around 20 at the time of starting to build it, and it just proved to be too much for me to handle. It was the first "kit" I had ever tried to build. After finding out that many of the parts weren't "correct", I eventually shelved the project and then lost all interest in the hobby. The other day, a good friend of mine said he wanted to get into the hobby after attending a fly-in, and suddenly the fire was re-ignited.

Since that time, I have found out how many parts on the PCK would need to be replaced, I have determined it needs to be shelved (or sold) until I am either A. Way more competent in building or B. Just get rid of it!!

Now, I have picked up my trainer and am wanting to pick up another warbird to build in my spare time. I want something that's a competition model, and not a sport scale, and I have forever loved the Messerschmitt BF109. So after reading some reviews, I have found that the Meister BF109 seems to be right up my alley.

So my dilemma comes in.....the 100" or the Platinum. I like the idea of the fiberglass fuselage, but it's also almost $1000 more. I also like the idea of not having to build a fuselage, and I like the idea of it being 'ready to go'. However, the idea of building a fuselage doesn't seem to be too intimidating, especially compared to the wing.

This is a project that will take me a LONG time to complete, so I am not worried about it being done quickly, but I want a nice scale model, with all the bells and whistles. So what it comes down too, is would I be happier with the Platinum, or do you think I would enjoy the normal wood kit. And finally, is the Platinum worth the $1000 price increase??

Thanks for reading!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:44 PM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need help!! Not good at this! V. Meister 109

First, the Meister stuff is all top notch, so either is a good choice, for those with the correct level of building experience and skills.  Neither is however, the right choice for a second or third kit. I apologize if I've misread your question, but if this is going to be anything less than your fifth kit, I would highly recommend something more basic to develop your building skills. Perhaps the Meister F4u, built as a sport scale model with just retracts, would be a better choice, my first one, covered just in fabric, flew like a large trainer itself. 

Whit 
Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

The 109 is not a hard kit to build IF you have some building experience in a few of the older kits, like Pica, Sig, the Old TF kits and so on. How ever if not, unless you are a natural, it could be a bit of a challenge. The fuse can be a bit tricky. They are a few threads on Rcscalebuilder that can be of great help to you. Check them out and you decide if you are up to it.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...630&PN=2&TPN=1

Here is mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83501.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1899046  
Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The original Meister wood kit and the Platinum kit are totally different designs. The built up airplane is an original Meister design and is, at best, a sport scale airplane. On a positive note it was designed with the pilot in mind and is a very good flying airplane. The Platinum kit was designed by Pat McCurry and was intended for high level competition. It is thus a much more scale airplane as well as being more complex, more expensive, and more demanding to fly.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Ham639
My Feedback: (13)

I agree with Chad. I have built and flown the built up original 109 from Meister (100 inch version) and owned the platinum series as well. Build the wood original version. It is easy to build and fly. More importantly it is a kitty cat to land. Put a 80cc engine in it and you will be impressed with it's flight envelope. A G62 will fly it too but with limited vertical. I try to fly at scale speeds so the 62 is a better choice.

The plans don't show retracts or flaps (at least mine didn't) maybe Dino has up graded them. He's a good dude and I'm sure he will chime in here with answers.

Happy Landings,

Ham639