Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Atomik Barbwire Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Atomik Barbwire Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Wreckless123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atomik Barbwire Problem

I am a little frustrated and hope there is something I can do to get the boat up and running. I ordered it from Tower on Tuesday befor my vacation and had them next day air me the boat. It got here no problem and we headed up to the lake for 10 days. My kids were super excited. We got here and I charged it as suggested as this my first lipo anything. Plugged it in, got the three beeps and set it in the water. It ran great for about five minutes before it just stopped. I jumped in and pulled the hatch. No water, all looked well. I turned the transmitter off and unplugged the battery. Then turned it back on and plugged the battery back it and got the normal 3 beeps. It ran about 10 seconds and died again. I wondered if the battery had somehow just not been fully charged. Took it home and put it on the charger. Now fully charged when I plug it back in I get no beeps. I do see the servo move into neutral position. I get no movement out of the steering or motor. Just for kicks went and got a new 9 volt which did not help. Please help I am here for 10 days and the kids are a little bummed. Thanks
Old 06-29-2013, 06:04 PM
jworm49

Default RE: Atomik Barbwire Problem

I just got a Barbwire myself and have run it about three times. It is a really fun boat while it works. Lots of people have had there ESC burn up. It sounds like this may be what happened to you. Also the battery needs to be charged a few times before it will hold a full charge. you really should get a good charger you can do so for $60-$70 the crap they give you with the boat is not so good although it should not be giving you the issues you are having. I wish I could help more I'm no expert but it sounds like you ESC. Another thought if you get it running make sure everything is TIGHT! mine literally fell apart on me today lost a turn fin the nut that holds the push rod on the rudder fell off and the grub screw in the drive collet stripped out. All in all a bad day for me. On the plus side I have herd that atomik has very good customer service I would call them if I was you I plan to but I should mention that I bought the boat through them not Tower.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 AM
jcjrogers

You might have an LVC (Low Voltage Cut-off) setting on your ESC that doesn't match battery's voltage. If you haven't already, read the ESC manual and see if there is a way to set the LVC. You might also want to re-bind the receiver to the txmitter. If your battery is charged and LVC setting is correct, you could have a bad battery or bad ESC. If you have a way to get a 2nd battery, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do, anyway. I realize that you are probably no where near a LHS and you want this fixed, ASAP.

As Jworm states, you are better-off with a real charger. This will allow you to balance charge, and you can see if one of your cells is bad (I'm assuming that the charger that came with the boat is some sort of wall-charger). You can spend as much as you want on a charger, but you can get a Thunder AC6 for $40 - $45. It isn't a top of the line charger my any stretch, but it does everything I've described, and it comes with an AC power supply (you have to find your own AC power supply with many chargers).
Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Wreckless123

Yea no hobby shops around here. I did try to rebind, hoping that was the problem. Not it. The boat is rtr so I don't have a manual for the esc. I pulled the esc out and checked all the connections. I am thinking its dead. Not sure what is the culprit though. Thanks for trying though.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:19 AM
jworm49

sorry to hear that man mine has been ok so far but I have had other issues with the boat. It's really to bad because its a fun little boat.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:02 PM
jcjrogers

If you can find a name on the ESC you might find the manual online. Very often, RTRs will still use various brands of ESCs, receivers, etc. I think it pretty much has to have an LVC setting, though I'm not positive you can adjust. I'm certainly no expert, but it sounds more like battery related to me. When you shut down the first time and got another 5 sec, it sounds like the battery built up just enough charge to run another few seconds. Lowering or even eliminating the LVC setting would likely tell you whether it was the battery or not.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Wreckless123

Well a week later there turns out more to the story as time went on.  I figured out that something was wrong with the battery plug or the ESC plug.  When fully plugged in I got no contact but if I just touched the plugs together I got contact.  Once I figured that out to get up and running again I slightly crimped the female connectors on the battery and I was up and running, but I could not fully connect the battery together because if I did, I would have never got them apart.  It baffled me on why there was no connection when the plug was fully connected.  It ran for a few more runs before the receiver failed.  It would blink red a few times and then green.  It would have bursts of throttle or steering if I held it down.  So in the end the boat was still shipped back to Atomik and they are warranting the boat.  Thanks to everyone for trying to help.