Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Maj. Woody's X-Treme Jets BAE Hawk 1/5.5

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Maj. Woody's X-Treme Jets BAE Hawk 1/5.5

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:01 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Maj. Woody's X-Treme Jets BAE Hawk 1/5.5

ORIGINAL: tp777fo

Maj Woody, before you get out of jets just try one thing. Order yourself a Philip Avonds F-15 or F-16 kit. They are reasonably priced, build very quickly and THEY DONT COME APART! I have had several of his kits and every one flew great. My F-16 must have had 600+ flights when I sold it and my F-15 over 200 flights. Dont let the cheaply built Chinese kits ruin your hobby!
Your wasting you time, he's converted to war bird meat choppers[X(]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89...m.htm#11090824

He has sold all of his Turbine equipment[:'(][:@]
Old 05-29-2012, 04:44 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN
He has sold all of his Turbine equipment[:'(][:@]
Did the F-4 sell? I was kinda hoping it would take a while, and maybe make Dom reconsider.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, it's GONE!
A guy from Buffalo NY bought it.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:04 AM
NC Jetguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. Most of the pix of the Hawks seem to show trailing link gear. However, John at Skymaster wrote. To me that it doesn't come with trailing. Links. Can someone please confirm one way or the other? Thanks
Ken
Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: kkayser

Hey guys. Most of the pix of the Hawks seem to show trailing link gear. However, John at Skymaster wrote. To me that it doesn't come with trailing. Links. Can someone please confirm one way or the other? Thanks
Ken
Mine came with trailing link struts.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:20 AM
ECalderon

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine also came with trailing links gear, as well al all the other SM Hawks I´ve seen.

Eduardo
Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 PM
NC Jetguy

Thanks Wayne and Eduardo. I was surprised by Johns response - maybe a translation issue. Here is the e-mail exchange:

Hi Ken

It doesn't have trailing link gear

Best regards
John
MP:+86 13546912746
Skymaster/X-Treme/Skyemaster
http://www.skymasterjet.com/

Date: 2013-06-26 04:58
To: 'skymasterjets'
CC:
Subject: X-Treme Hawk

Hi John,

It appears from the pictures that the X-Treme BAE Hawks have trailing link gear. Is this the case?

Thanks.[/size]
Old 06-26-2013, 01:27 PM
ECalderon

Maybe there is a misunderstanding and John was thinking of trailing link struts similar to those that Todd (DreamworksRC) sells. The ones that come in the SM Hawk are "scale".
Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 PM
NC Jetguy

Thanks Eduardo, I have the Dreamworks Trailing Links on my Boomerang Elan - they work great. I mosthly fly off a grass field. Does the scale gear that comes with the Hawk work the same way? Will it be OK on a grass fiield?

Regards,

Ken
Old 06-26-2013, 02:11 PM
ECalderon

I have one of the old ones and had to change the strut springs to stronger ones, but if I dont land smooth they still will bottom out. I fly off a paved runway, but if you have a smooth closely mowed grass field you shouldn´t have problems, but if it isn´t smooth I think you might have some problems.

The real hawk has the gear doors open with the gear down, I had to close the doors with gear down, because if for any reason the plane wandered from the runway to the "rough" grass in the side, the gear doors would get torn off (broken hinges), its no big deal but after a coupe of times I closed the doors and problem solved.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 PM
NC Jetguy

Thanks again Eduardo. If it's not too much trouble, coul you post some profile pictures of the gear?

Regards,
Ken
Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 PM
pilot tw

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: kkayser

Thanks again Eduardo. If it's not too much trouble, coul you post some profile pictures of the gear?

Regards,
Ken
here is picture for Xtreme Hawk LG.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95089.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1895473  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 PM
mmontella
My Feedback: (36)

Just finished my X-Treme Hawk Build and am looking for a little help with the gear before I put her in the air. As Maj. Woody pointed out in the build thread (thanks for the great build information) the gear springs are way too soft for the jet and bottom out with the weight of the dry plane. I primarily fly of a grass field and the out of the box gear springs will not work for me (and I would guess many others as well). I have had this problem before with my Yellow F-15, but was able to buy some stronger springs from McMaster (much larger diameter to work with). I am having a very hard time finding a stiffer spring that will fit in the Hawk strut. I have asked BVM and the folks at X-Treme for suggestions and they did not come up with much other than to insert a piece of fuel tubing inside the spring. I tried this and it did not seem to make any difference. I would appreciate any help that anyone out there that has done a successful fix for this issue on the Hawk may have.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09-24-2013, 09:11 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopefully someone here can suggest a good solution to a problem I've run into when installing the aileron servos in my X-Treme Jets Hawk. Based on the photos in page 8, post 189 of this thread it appears that the aileron servo mounting plates are installed in the wrong orientation on both wing panels of my hawk. I believe, based on the instructions and photos show here, that the large opening in the servo mounting plate should be oriented towards the tip of the wing so that the servo is installed with it's output shaft also facing the tip of the wing. Mine are installed in an orientation that forces the servos to be installed with the output shaft facing the wings root, making it so the servo arm aligns with the flap instead of the aileron. Also the mounting plates are larger than the opening, really well epoxied and glassed to the wing skins and ribs and has shear webbing / spars glued over the top of the plates. Simply facing the servo in the other direction doesn't appear to be an option as it places the output shaft outside the opening, under the wing skin in the middle of a wing rib. I'd appreciate any suggestion on how I can solve this problem, short of opening up the whole bottom of the wing.

The intent of my post is absolutely NOT to bad mouth X-Treme Jets / Skymaster in any way as John has always been very helpful and taken excellent care of me. I'm simply looking for help to figure out a hopefully simply solution to this problem while I wait to hear back from the manufacturer.

My current thinking is something like this mounted to a piece of 1/4" aircraft ply, glued to the top skin and all the surrounding structure. Dreamworks offers a Futaba and JR version, does anyone know which would be the better match for a Savox 1256 servo?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	1924480  

Last edited by wfield0455; 09-24-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:31 AM
thumbnstick
My Feedback: (169)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dom,
Glad your getting back into Jets once more and again. My hanger just cleared space for an F-18. Have a new P-140 for it. Just a reminder..... if you hear flutter......... can't assume its the gear doors! Good luck with the Hawk.
Jack Graham