Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Electric Planes at our field.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Electric Planes at our field.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:14 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Electric Planes at our field.

ORIGINAL: Phoenex

I would quit my club ... if they implemented these rules that are based on pure ignorance of the hobby.

... which is exactly what people ARE doing ... I mean, they are rejecting the established clubs in favour of their own micro-clubs, wherein they have the freedom to enjoy the hobby.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:40 AM
batdog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can the arming switch be purchased for electrics? Is it the same as on my glow planes? IMO. Clubs have rules that have been put in place to keep the group organized. If you elect to be a member then you have made the decision the rules apply to you. Your choice. Many fly in the Non-Club and although the Rules may not be written down ,Rules are in place though the day of flying may be more relaxed.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I can see the need to have a way to disable an electric motor. When electric motors first came to high performance boats, there were several injuries due to props that started spinning unexpectedly. A motor disabling device became required to run a boat at a sanctioned race and, to this day, still is. I can't see having to install batteries and wing on the runway but I can see something required to prevent an accidental motor start
Old 07-11-2013, 02:33 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: Villa

After a few close calls with electric planes at our field we just added two new Rules at our Flying Field. Others may want to consider these.
•Electric aircraft must be taken to the flight line before connecting the batteries and the batteries disconnected before returning to the pit area.
•If work is going to be conducted on electric aircraft and the batteries must be connected, the prop must be removed before connecting the batteries.
When I'm at home setting up an electric plane, prior to connecting the battery to check out the servos, etc.' , I always REMOVE THE PROP. I did not want to do that at first, but then I realized that it was the safest thing to do. ALWAYS!!! Comments?
Very Safe! Two of our fields down here in Florida have the same rules. Do to unexperienced beginners, we have had a lot of plane get away at full power on the work tables. Truly just common sense.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:25 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rules are good and rules are also bad. These rules may indeed help with electrics as they have some unique characteristics. I suppose there can be some arguments on both sides of this fence. Electrics can bite you easily and quickly. yet a 50cc that is accidentally shut off and going to full throttle is much more dangerous, yet which is more likely to occur?

At some point we would be "idiot" proofing everything. Let's face it we do stupid stuff sometimes and no rule will prevent that from happening because that is behavior and behavior is subject to a lot of vaiables. I make most of my mistakes when I am extremely tired so I choose to watch what I am doing more in those times and I don't do certain things because I know my limitations.

Yep, I suppose we have to make rules to save the ignorant and protect the rest of us .
Old 07-11-2013, 03:39 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: batdog

Where can the arming switch be purchased for electrics? Is it the same as on my glow planes?
I make mine out of Deans connectors and about a year ago they became commercially available. No you can't use a receiver switch as you are "switching" or breakig the power lead between the battery pack and the ESC so the current is high. The arming plug completes that circuit and arms the motor.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCRMC&P=7
Old 07-11-2013, 04:26 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Electric conversions don't always have some of the nice features of planes made for electric.  My bipe, for example, does not have an external access hatch to the battery - I have to take off the bottom wing to get it out.  I do, however, use the ArmSafe arming system and a low current power switch.
Also, electric motors do not have the compression of fuel motors so tightening the prop becomes a real issue.  Once that sucker is on I sure won't take it off until I have to.
Rules are supposed to be made to protect all people.  Your rules protect the stupid.  I don't believe in rewarding stupidity.  As they say, experience is the best teacher.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:42 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I think its great that the OP's club has learned to handle eletric airplanes. Grown men should be able to safely plug in a battery. But in this neck of the woods we aren't too fond of people introducing new rules and regulations. In fact, we have a rather nasty 7 letter word for them. In Texas, we believe it is best to keep the rules and regulations to a minimum in business and in our personal lives. There is no need for your club to become "legislative body". In fact, that pretty much ruins the club. The "career" administrators will always be introducing new rules. It is up to the "career" pilots to shut them down.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:01 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

I am surprised by the responses. However it is his club, if the rule was brought up, seconded and voted in per his clubs by laws then be thankful it is club and not your club.
On the other hand rules wont fix accidents.
Yeah me too.... When it comes to ANY new technology, some folks will jump in and learn it and make it look simple. Others observe and immediately think hey it will be simple for me too. Well, not so fast.......................

What so many of you think is "stupid" isn't so much stupid but rather lack of knowledge (ignorance is too heavy a word, but is accurate). Knowledge can only be gained through experience.

Electrics have become plug and play for most of us, but I also know that initial set-up can be hazardous. When setting up failsafe or servos for example and your plane's airborne system is driven via a BEC in the ESC, definitely remove the prop. When range checking for the first time,REMOVETHEPROP lest you find your crate in the back of your van, or worse, hurt someone.... I've been doing this for going on 47 years and it happened to me the very first time I played electric several years back. As careful and meticulous as I am with my stuff, I'm here to tell you that if it can happen to me, it will happen to anyone.......
Old 07-11-2013, 07:25 AM
CRockVet

Thanks for the worning.

I am a paraplegic and use a wheelchair for mobility. I have a number of planes all of which are electric. Everything from the park zone t-28 to the aeroworks 30 cc 260 done in electric. I plug in all my planes in the pit and taxi them to the flight line. This is the only way to get my 30 cc out there to fly.

how would your club handle my situation?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:46 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: batdog

Where can the arming switch be purchased for electrics? Is it the same as on my glow planes? IMO. Clubs have rules that have been put in place to keep the group organized. If you elect to be a member then you have made the decision the rules apply to you. Your choice. Many fly in the Non-Club and although the Rules may not be written down ,Rules are in place though the day of flying may be more relaxed.
I order the 6970 and 6972 arming switches from maxxprod.com. http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html I use the 6972 for higher voltage applications. It has thicker wire. Troybuilt models has 'em too. http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/MPI6972.html

I need to look into the throttle cutoff function on my Futaba radio. It would add still another layer of protection. So I would have the 6970 or 6972 AND the throttle cutoff switch on my radio. That might be overkill but I'm gonna check it out. Can't be too safe.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35484.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1899439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94982.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1899440  
Old 07-11-2013, 08:06 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: TexasAirBoss

I think its great that the OP's club has learned to handle eletric airplanes. Grown men should be able to safely plug in a battery.
Well sure, grown men should be able to safely plug in a battery but sometimes they have mental lapses, brain farts, whatever. And maybe just once, some guy doesn't focus on what he's doing and he slices himself open, loses a fingertip, or worse. This hobby can be very dangerous. How about that newbie flier in Arizona (Tucson?) who lost sight of his plane while flying into the sun, it circled around unbeknownst to him, smacked him in the chest, and he bled to death. And that was a glow plane. (I heard about this from somebody else. Please correct me if it didn't occur exactly as I stated)

Do NOT lose your focus around electric airplanes especially when it comes to the larger non-foamy ones. Bad stuff can happen.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 AM
MTK

Recently, one tab on my Dean's connector snapped in half. Not the terminal but rather the little springy thingy that forces the terminals to touch. You guessed it, the remaining tab of the spring was just long enough to touch the other terminal. A considerable spark followed with as quick a disconnection as I could muster. Too late, Ifried some wirinng and possiblypuffed one 3S battery but didn't release any other magic smoke........what can I say......spit happens!!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:09 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it wasn't for stupid/careless people or those that just don't care, there wouldn't be a need for rules. No matter what hobby/sport you are involved with, rules are there to cater for the lowest common denominator.
Moving on from that, no plane (IC or electric) should be started/armed in the pits. Most clubs these days have a starting area away from the general pit area which is an excellent idea. Models should not be allowed to taxi back to the pits, as if something went wrong or the pilot tripped over etc. the model will be heading straight towards people in the pits. Even taxiing out to the flight line you are heading towards the other pilots flying.
I always carry or have someone carry my models to the flight line. My larger models and large scale models are always started at the flight line and i never taxi back to the pits or to the flight line if others are flying.
For those who don't want to carry or wheel their model back to the pits, maybe it's time they found something else to do, as they obviously don't care about the safety of fellow club members.

Safety should always be the number 1 priority.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 AM
bogbeagle

They are "stupid and careless" ... but, they are going to follow your rules?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 AM
drac1

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

They are ''stupid and careless'' ... but, they are going to follow your rules?
Don't forget the ones that don't care.

If they don't care enough to follow safety procedures, kick 'em out.

If they go and form their own club because they don't care about the safety of fellow cub members, good riddence.

With legal liability how it is, clubs must be seen to be trying to provide the safest environment they can. Insurers will use any excuse they can to get out of a claim if one should be lodged. Also, if a member is not following the rules and their model does hit something or someone that results in a claim, then the insurer may also try to recover costs from the member.

It sounds like you are one of the ones that doesn't like rules. You can have all the freedom you want to enjoy the hobby and do it safely as well.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Villa

Hi CRockVet
I'm certain at our club other members would assist you as you needed. And we would do it gladly, just as we provide free flight instruction and maintain club trainer planes. We also have a club roster with all of our phone numbers. I recall that at another club I was in we had a wheel chair bound veteran. I'm certain we helped him as he needed, but it was 33 years ago and I cannot recall any details.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 AM
bogbeagle

ORIGINAL: drac1

It sounds like you are one of the ones that doesn't like rules.

Is it that obvious?

Actually, even at my club, there is a "rule". It isn't written down, but it goes something like this, "Do what you want ... and take full responsibility for your actions."

The system works very well. Best club to which I've ever belonged, in a long flying career.

I will never again become a member of a traditional club.

(I guess you won't miss me, though)

Old 07-11-2013, 11:55 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Im in the hobby to have fun, too many rules spoil the fun.

But I see the point on learning from others mistakes, that's the reason for the rules.

What I have a problem with is stereotyping!!!!!! Don't make rules just for electrics or just for gassers. All of our models have blenders, oops Im sorry props in the front, so all of them can cause serious damage. If your club is adding rules make them universal, otherwise I will feel it is something personal 

Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

so you guys are forcing the heli guys to " arm " out on the runway ? and what bout the EDF guys ? you make them take out their fan in the pitt area ?

i just like the idea of useing thorttel hold , if its a issue.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

When I was flying in Saudi Arabia we had no rules. People just assumed that everyone present would use common sense. It worked out pretty well.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 PM
drac1

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

ORIGINAL: drac1

It sounds like you are one of the ones that doesn't like rules.

Is it that obvious?

Actually, even at my club, there is a ''rule''. It isn't written down, but it goes something like this, ''Do what you want ... and take full responsibility for your actions.''

The system works very well. Best club to which I've ever belonged, in a long flying career.

I will never again become a member of a traditional club.

(I guess you won't miss me, though)

There's one flaw in your "unwritten" rule. Take full responsibility for your actions. If a model was taxiing to the pits, got out of control, hit someone and seriously injured or even killed them, how much responsibility do you think the pilot would take?
Too many accidents still happen when people are trying to do the right thing, without the help of people that just don't give a stuff.
And you are correct. I won't.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:32 PM
drac1

ORIGINAL: Daniel-EL

When I was flying in Saudi Arabia we had no rules. People just assumed that everyone present would use common sense. It worked out pretty well.
Hmm. You know what happens when you "assume".
Old 07-11-2013, 12:44 PM
bogbeagle

Here's the thing, drac.

I live with this system. Have done for 15 years or more ... and I'm telling you that it works.

You have never used this system ... but you are telling me that it doesn't work.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:44 PM
CRockVet

The part of the hobby I like is the spirit of freedom and DYI.

if I wanted, or neede help, iwould ask for it and If it were not for stupid rules like this I could maintain my independence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.