Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How to make your own fuel tank?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How to make your own fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:54 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How to make your own fuel tank?

OK guys, I know you can use all kinds of bottles and even order very exspecive fiberglass ones.

But Im neededing a one off tank.

I got a Delta Dart 106 with an AMT 180 wich seems to be very thursty.

Im currently running a 60oz dubro main tank, with BMV UAT 8oz maybee.

So I added a 20oz tank infron of the turbine, I had to use a heat gun to get a shap up top that would not be an issue. But unfortunitly it 1/2in on the bottom is in the way of my retracts wheels and I cant heat the tank to allow the wheels to fit with out cracking the tank.

So I was thinking of useing this 20oz tank, cutting the wholes in the rear bottom of the tanks for the tires, then covering the whole thing in fiberglass, this way I have a good mold to work off of, and can use the plastic stock stoper.

So my question is, what epoxy will stand up to the kero?

I could also just form it out of foam, then fiberglass over it, then put gas inside to eat the foam, but what do you put over the foam to keep the epoxy from eating it?

Thanks guys

Old 07-11-2013, 07:13 AM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How to make your own fuel tank?

Epoxy will not eat the foam.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have made several tanks now and have settled on the best method for me. I make a blue foam plug slightly smaller than the finished size of tank to allow for the thickness of fibreglass. I cover with shiny parcel tape and wax it. Then I cover with 2 layers of 200gm mm fibreglass and wrap with peel ply. The outside is tightly wrapped with cling film and it is left to harden. It takes practice to cover the plug in one go and not disturb the fibreglass while wrapping it. This avoids most air bubbles. Then I use a razor saw to cut the tank in half and dig out the blue foam with a screwdriver. The parcel tape ensures that there is a clean finish inside the tank. I cut a hole for the aluminium ring to support a Dubro bung. The ring is glued in with either acrylic glue or Hysol. I join the 2 halves with a thin bead of hysol and leave to harden overnight. The final job is to wrap some tape around the joint. I used Kevlar but Fibreglass would do just as well. You can then pressure test the tank. Do not panic if you get the odd leak. They can be fixed with Hysol. I check the 2 halves before glueing on the inside and apply Hysol if in any doubt.

I did make tanks with a raised bead so one half could sit inside the other, but the extra work was not worth the effort.

No doubt others can suggest their methods.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40766.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1899438  
Old 07-11-2013, 09:38 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jgwright

I have made several tanks now and have settled on the best method for me. I make a blue foam plug slightly smaller than the finished size of tank to allow for the thickness of fibreglass. I cover with shiny parcel tape and wax it. Then I cover with 2 layers of 200gm mm fibreglass and wrap with peel ply. The outside is tightly wrapped with cling film and it is left to harden. It takes practice to cover the plug in one go and not disturb the fibreglass while wrapping it. This avoids most air bubbles. Then I use a razor saw to cut the tank in half and dig out the blue foam with a screwdriver. The parcel tape ensures that there is a clean finish inside the tank. I cut a hole for the aluminium ring to support a Dubro bung. The ring is glued in with either acrylic glue or Hysol. I join the 2 halves with a thin bead of hysol and leave to harden overnight. The final job is to wrap some tape around the joint. I used Kevlar but Fibreglass would do just as well. You can then pressure test the tank. Do not panic if you get the odd leak. They can be fixed with Hysol. I check the 2 halves before glueing on the inside and apply Hysol if in any doubt.

I did make tanks with a raised bead so one half could sit inside the other, but the extra work was not worth the effort.

No doubt others can suggest their methods.

John
Ok,3 questions

1st, when applying fiberglass, do you expoy, or reagular fiberglass resen (polyester resin in the big cheap can)?
2nd, what is Peel Ply that you put on top of the fiberglas before you rap it with cling film?
3rd, where do you get the dubro bung?

Thanks so much I knew it would be easy.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would not say it is easy, it is a simple concept but as John indicated, it can be fiddly when wrapping the tank in one go. I do it exactly as John explained BTW.

I use epoxy.

Peel ply is some form of cloth that the resin does not stick (well) to. You pull it off after cure to remove excess resin and any wrapping material cleanly. I use a teflon coated cloth. I get all my composite stuff from CST

http://www.cstsales.com/

The bung as you refer to it, there are several types. I usually use BVM left overs but Todd sells them as well

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/mach...rt-p-1426.html
Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 AM
C185Pilot
My Feedback: (25)

I need a transualater....
Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lost my files on some pictures I took but here is a thread link to a jet I made a custom tank for - almost as John suggests

- blue foam sanded and shaped just undersize to the final requirements
- apply 2-3 coats of PVA (normally in a blue liquid form) to seal foam.
- pre-cut cloth to shapes suitable to cover all the faces of the tank - thickness depends on the builder, I tend to use 3-4 layers of 42g cloth followed by 3-4 layers of 81g as find this results in no pin holes etc (personal experience)
- shove a stick or rod into the foam where you plan to have your filler, this is used to 'handle' the foam plug whilst fibreglassing
- apply layers of cloth overlapping at the edges, I use a small sponge roller, the sort used for painting radiators etc - rolling the cloth onto the layer below, loading the roller with resin as required. (no need for peel ply)
- once layered hold tank in a vice by the stick to dry.
- once dry yank out the stick, open out the hole a little and slowly melt out the foam using thinners.
- once the foam is out use warm water to dissolve the PVA.
- clean prep and fit filler hardware of choice, you should have a seamless tank and one which is totally fuel proof

marcs

Thread link: [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10843838/mpage_9/key_/tm.htm[/link]
Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Jgwright

Mr matt has explained it all I think.

The gas proof brown Dubro stoppers can be bought separately from the tanks. I made my own aluminium ring but they are available.
I have not used peel ply much before and was not convinced it would peel off the fibreglass, it does need a god tug!

It is a rewarding thing to make, just buy enough for more than one attempt.

John
Old 07-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Paul0088

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I will just buy a tank
Old 07-11-2013, 02:18 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Marc, excellent info. Thanks. Can you shed more light on PVA please for those of us uninitiated in the art?