Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

A few questions about The Bird of Time

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

A few questions about The Bird of Time

Old 07-12-2013, 07:02 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions about The Bird of Time

I have mine 99.9% framed up and an am just wondering if God and luck holds the wing and stab together or am I missing something? I get that rubber bands hold the wing on but is that all... it looks like it could come apart in mid air. Post up some pics of your BOT if you can I'm a little slow. I'll post one later on.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:17 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: A few questions about The Bird of Time

Yea, the sailplanes from the late '70s early '80s where a little lax on holding the stabs on. We used to:
Rust the two steel rods.
Put a small kink in the ends of one rod.
Glue on rod into one stab, glue the other into the other stab.
Remember in "the day" there where no electric sailplanes, so no vibrations to work them off, and no really hard launching.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:14 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

What about the wing, I'm mostly concerned about the wing with the one big 1/4" rod.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:19 PM
guamflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also did what soarich did with the bot. I bolted the wing on though..used a 10-24 nylon bolt for the hook-up.modify the stuff mentioned and it should be ok.... unless of-course you're gonna do fast passes, then you'll need to do some better mods to hold it all together.. I actually have one NIB but gonna do electric assist with a folding prop.. carbon on da wings and stffen everything up for those fast passes.. she'll scoot as the weight has always been its best feature...she doesn't like to land so spoilers are definitly gonna be included...

SLOPE FAST - SOAR DEEP

guamflyer P-40 Bro # 5 & #6
Old 07-12-2013, 02:25 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: green river rc

What about the wing, I'm mostly concerned about the wing with the one big 1/4'' rod.
The top of the fuse keeps the wings aligned, some put an alignment pin in the back, but it isn't necessary. Most guys used 3M electrical tape to hold the two wing sections together.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:27 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

A wrap of tape over the joint isn't a bad idea. Another is to put half round "split dowels" on the bottom of the wing so that the edges of the dowels wedge the wings into place on the fuselage. That way the rubber bands both hold the wings down and inward to avoid them creeping apart. A set of such split dowels located at the spar and at the trailing edge will ensure that the wing goes onto the fuselage accurately each time as well.

On a two meter glider that was intended to use the same sort of rubber band option I said "tahell wid dat" and instead I used two nylon bolts at the main spar and two smaller nylon bolts at the trailing edge. The bolts thus hold the wings both to the fuselage as well as preventing any working their way off the joiner rod. As a bonus I don't have a lot of latex turning into weak crud that could fail at some point due to UV exposure. Nor do I end up having to hold my head to the side to avoid a rubber band flying up into my face when I miss one of the dowels.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had one of the original BOT kits quite a few years ago. I just spread the wires a bit at the tail for a friction fit and never had problems. The wing rod stays in and the wings stay in place as long as the rubber bands are firmly holding the wing onto the fuselage. A bit of tape in the middle hurts nothing, but isn't needed. Even if the rubber bands slip down between the wing panels in the center, there's nothing to fear. The tension of the rubber bands keeps the wings firmly seated against the fuselage and they won't pull out.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 AM
CurtD
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with Bax. I've been flying a BOT built for electric power for about 2&1/2 years with no problems at all. The bit of spring tension provided by spreading the wires a little prevents any slippage of the two elevator halves. Nothing else is needed.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:16 PM
bugbee

When I attach a wing of a new aircraft, I usually hold the wings just outboard of the fuselage and shake it around at least with
as much force as it would get in flight and see if the fuselage doesn't flop around.