Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR XG11 radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 AM
pippy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR XG11 radio

I have a JR XG11 radio and I find that if I erase a model memory it doesn't erase 100% of the data, which means I cannot copy a saved model from an SD card or from another internal memory. I cannot over write a memory location once it has been set up for any model even if I erase it. Anybody any suggestions/ help for this.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:50 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: JR XG11 radio

Your XG11 probably works much like the JR 11X or DSX11. When you erase a model memory that you are presently in, the ERASE functions like a reset on the older JR transmitters. If you select the same type of the model that you had (such as going from ACRO to ACRO), it resets all the functions to their defaults. Or if you select a different type of model (such as going from ACRO to HELI), it sets up a new model type using the new type model defaults.

If you want to completely erase a model memory so you can overwrite it, first you have to go to a different model memory, then erase the memory you want. For example to erase model #1, select model #2. From model #2 select to erase model #1. This is all done to prevent you from accidentally overwriting a memory.

Allan

Old 03-23-2013, 03:04 PM
pippy

Hi Allen, you are a genius. It worked as you said. They don't put that in the manual for some reason. Thank you very much.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:04 PM
AWorrest

This was a common question when the 11X was first introduced in the US. I can’t take credit for finding the procedure as I think a number of uscame up with it by trial and error. Surprisingly the XG11 manual didn’t have a better explanation.

Allan

Old 03-23-2013, 04:05 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

so this XG11 looks like a good option how are you liking this beast?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:09 AM
pippy

I have always use JR radios so for me the best choice was the XG11. I find it difficult to do snap rolls with the sticks so for me the option of being able to do snaps automatically with stick movement was a big bonus. In the F schedule I can do the knife edge snaps with left and right rudder on FM 2. The communication between the radio and receiver is very fast.

On the negative side I would like a couple more flight modes in aero ( there is 5 in glider ,only 3 in aero). When flight modes are selected you can't change surface movements with the dual rate switches( at least not that I can find). The telemetry take a little more battery power.

Overall I think it is a nice radio.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:13 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

thx for the update Paul. I have only used JR also 600, 8103, and presently 9x.......
Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 AM
pippy

No problem, I went from the 9X straight to the XG11. I think it is good product for the price.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 AM
AWorrest

Paul,

You may have to upload upgrade ver.0002-0004 to your XG11 to get custom flight modes. With that upgrade you can have up to six flight modes in both ACRO and GLID.

You should check at your distributor web site to make sure you have the correct upgrade for your transmitter. There may be no compatibility problems with the XG11 but there was one with the DSX11 and 11X. While these latter two transmitters are similar, if you put the upgrade meant for one into the other, there were serious problems.

You can use a switch for your triple rates while using flight modes. When you have flight modes, you then have the option for each axis and each flight mode of choosing either the switch or having a rate assigned to that flight mode. If you choose a switch, the P0, P1, and P2 rates will be used for switch positions 0, 1, and 2. With eight sets of rates and being able to choose each axis rate independently, the combinations of rates on the XG11, like the 11X, are immense.

Allan

Old 03-24-2013, 02:14 PM
pippy

Hi Allan,thanks for that information. I was reading my manual today re dual rates etc. and I think I may already be able do the combinations you are suggesting. I will experiment tomorrow and let you know.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 AM
pippy

Hi Allan, good news, I can effectively creat at least 3 more flight modes with using the dual rate switches and up to 7 different setting modes under the Niall rate/ expo section of the program. It is a big step up from the previous radios unless you get the software upgrade as you suggest. What it means is that if I want to do a snap roll where I need full aileron deflection, say 125%, I can now switch that in using the rudder dual rate switch and I can leave my mode switch alone. Or if I need a high rate rudder for stall turn I can set up a switch, say aux 2 switch, to give just that for that stall turn.

I only have this radio a few months so it is still a voyage of discovery and I am finding that the manual assumes a level of knowledge that I don't have so it doesn't explain some things very well.

Thanks for your help. I have put in a photo of the model I am flying at present. It is the BJ Craft Episode with Contra Drive from Brenner Sharp.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71462.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	1866331  
Old 03-25-2013, 04:59 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Paul,

Just reading your thread, was that a Freudian slip or does your transmitter really have a Niall rate/ expo section lol!

Malcolm
Old 03-25-2013, 08:52 AM
pippy

Hey Malcolm, well spotted. Bloody autocorrect, I only saw it after the post went up. I thought you would be more focused on the model, especially my painted spinner set.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 AM
AWorrest

I would rate the XG11 manual above average. Some places a more detail explanation would help. The best manual is using trial and error on the transmitter itself and seeing the results on the MONITOR. If the XG11 is like the 11X, there is one place, the WARNING menu, where it can get you into trouble. If you set a warning for a flight mode - then eliminate it in the Device Sel., the next time you turn on the transmitter the warning will go off and you can't turn the warning off by deselecting the flight mode in the warning list as it is greyed out. The solution is to set up an impossible situation. Below is a message I posted on another forum.

"On the 11X 2.4 in the ACRO and GLID configurations using flight modes, it is possible to program the transmitter such that it puts the transmitter in a warning state with no apparent way to get out. Switching the power off or removing the battery does no good. It doesn't involve the HELI configuration as it handles flight modes differently. This trap may also apply to the 11X Zero.

"In ACRO the problem occurs when the WARNING SW SEL is set to sound a warning if FM0 is on at start-up. If FM0 is then inhibited without changing the warning, the next time the transmitter is turned on, the warning will sound with the message, "FMD-0". Changing flight modes doesn't stop the warning. The only option available is to go to the WARNING SW SEL menu. It won't appear to be of any help as FM0 is greyed out and you can't change it.

"If the warning had originally been set for FM0 and another flight mode, the solution is to set the AND button to on. As it is not possible to have two flight modes active simultaneously, the menu will reset. If the warning was set for FM0 only, turn the AND on and also another switch, such as AILE0. Switch the aileron rate switch to either the 1 or 2 position and the warning will be turned off. This problem seems to happen only with FM0."

Allan
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks very nice Paul!

Malcolm
Old 03-26-2013, 12:12 AM
AWorrest

I second Malcolm's comment about your plane. I'm afraid my piloting skills will never warrant a plane of that caliber.

Allan
Old 03-26-2013, 03:33 AM
pippy

Thanks for the info on Warnings but luckily I don't use them for anything. The only item I use is a countdown timer for the overall flighttime. It's just much simpler although I would lie to be able to stop it beeping every minute, but I have gotten so used to it I don't hear it most of the time now.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Boom Operator
My Feedback: (2)

This is not a reply but a request for help. Has any one downloaded the JR XG11 update to their JR 11X 2.4 from Horizon Hobbies website? If you have, have you had any bad issues and would you recommend it. The guys from Horizon say it will make the JR11X 2.4 a much better radio with this upgrade.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Daveyrt

Boy you can say that again...the manual to the XG-11 is the worst...But I have a question...I want to use the snap roll function...I have dual elevators mixed through Program Mix 1 Elevator to Aux 3 ... When I go to program a snap roll...only the elevator half of my dual elevator Mix throws... How do I get the other elevator on Aux 3 to track ?

Rick
Old 07-10-2013, 09:40 PM
AWorrest

Rick,

This applies to the 9303, 9503, 11X, 12X and apparently to the XG series. If you want dual ailerons, dual rudders, or dual elevators, don’t use a program mix. If you do, you will get what you are experiencing. The snap will work on only one of the surfaces. In your program mix, did the include list for the elevatorhave the snap function listed? If it is like the 11X, I bet it didn’t.

When you have dual surfaces, use the Dual Mate in the Wing Type menu. This is the way to have the functions not in the program mix include list apply to both surfaces.

BTW, the XG11 manual is more descriptive than the one that came with the 11X!

Allan

Old 07-10-2013, 10:04 PM
AWorrest

ORIGINAL: Boom Operator

This is not a reply but a request for help. Has any one downloaded the JR XG11 update to their JR 11X 2.4 from Horizon Hobbies website? If you have, have you had any bad issues and would you recommend it. The guys from Horizon say it will make the JR11X 2.4 a much better radio with this upgrade.

If you are happy with the version 1 software, you may not want version 2. Except for programming the stick position switches, version 2 not more difficult than version 1. Version 2 gives you many more options. If you don’t use them, you will have to plow through several more pages on some of the menus.

I converted to version 2 and wouldn’t think of going back to version 1. But I like playing with the programming.

I have found a couple of very minor bugs in the ACRO and GLID. The abbreviation for the flight mode switch is FMDO. This bug has been reported in the XG series and may be the reason for the latest update. There is a problem in GLID when you use the program mix with the MOTO being the master channel. If you go forward past the last option listed, the selection pointer will go to blank options and not return to OK. You have to back out of the include list

Allan

Old 07-11-2013, 03:46 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Boom Operator

Hi,

Iupgraded mine to the Version 2 firmware. I actually have two JR11Xs so I upgraged one first and did many side by side comparisons..

I eventually upgraded the 2nd one also. The main reason is that Version 2 gives you the ability to calibrate your gimbals.

A few minor things I don't like about V2.. the Model name is no longer in bold, and you sometimes get a false indication of RX voltage which is telemetry in the XG11 but useless information in the JR 11X...

If your radio does everything you want then no need to upgrade.. I only did for the calibration option.

V2 also changes how the analog trim works.. originally with my BNF aircraft and helis I could leave the throttle trim centred and they would work fine.. After the upgrade you MUST put your throttle trim fully down when using any of the BNFelectric aircraft / heli otherwise the esc won't initialise as you are not actually getting min throttle with throttle trim centred as you did with V1.

This vid might help..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaDdcg4G2jo[/youtube]

Old 07-11-2013, 10:27 AM
AWorrest

Rob is correct in pointing out the false receiver voltage message. I forgot about it. It occurs rarely, does no harm and goes away after awhile.

The analog trim difference is not a bug but a change in the THRO CURVE menu. In version two, a THROTTLE OFFSET was added. The offset default value is 100. If you change it to zero, the trim will work the same as in version 1. The offset is also found on the 12X. I’m not sure what its benefit is but it has caught some electric flyers off guard when they made the conversion.

Even if you don’t use much of the version 2 added programming, one change you will probably appreciate. The TIMER options have been expanded. About the only thing you could do before was pick a switch to turn the timer on and off. Now you can tie the timer to a flight mode or a combination of switches.

Allan

Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: AWorrest

Rob is correct in pointing out the false receiver voltage message. I forgot about it. It occurs rarely, does no harm and goes away after awhile.

The analog trim difference is not a bug but a change in the THRO CURVE menu. In version two, a THROTTLE OFFSET was added. The offset default value is 100. If you change it to zero, the trim will work the same as in version 1. The offset is also found on the 12X. I’m not sure what its benefit is but it has caught some electric flyers off guard when they made the conversion.

Even if you don’t use much of the version 2 added programming, one change you will probably appreciate. The TIMER options have been expanded. About the only thing you could do before was pick a switch to turn the timer on and off. Now you can tie the timer to a flight mode or a combination of switches.

Allan

Thanks Allan, didn't know that about the THROTTLEOFFSET.. just tried it and you are spot on.. Throttle trim now works just like in V1.

If they could just bring back the Bold model name I'd be 100% happy..

Old 07-12-2013, 09:55 AM
AWorrest

The credit for discovering the trim offset belongs to CatBird who posted it on another forum.

This week JR on their Japan web site posted some updates to the XG series. Initially these changes also covered the DSX11, 11X Zero and the US 11X. Before my eyes, the latter changes vanished and half of a day later reappeared as applying only to the DSX11 and 11X Zero. If someone does the upgrade, I would be curious what it is. JR only said it was a bug fix.

Allan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.