Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Electric Planes at our field.

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Electric Planes at our field.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Electric Planes at our field.

ORIGINAL: TexasAirBoss

Why is someone less likely to injure themselves at the runway than in the pit area ? We have airplane stands in our pits that restrain the ariplanes and stop them from lurching forward. We do not have such stands on the flight line. I'm not following the logic that you are somehow promoting safety. If anything yu are promoting the very opposite. But internet experts don't always have practical experience to go on.
At my old club you killed your gas or nitro motor at the cutoff point before you got into the pits(AND THEY WONT START THEMSELVES AGAIN) but with e-motors just like my basement mishap most e planes are still armed even after they get in the pits. All it takes is one noob to just turn off his transmitter first and not pull the battery wires first in the pits and you have a full speed lawnmower looking for flesh to eat.Would you like to be sitting next to the noob ? joe
Old 07-12-2013, 08:02 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: joebahl

Why is someone less likely to injure themselves at the runway than in the pit area ? We have airplane stands in our pits that restrain the ariplanes and stop them from lurching forward. We do not have such stands on the flight line. I'm not following the logic that you are somehow promoting safety. If anything yu are promoting the very opposite. But internet experts don't always have practical experience to go on.
At my old club you killed your gas or nitro motor at the cutoff point before you got into the pits(AND THEY WONT START THEMSELVES AGAIN) but with e-motors just like my basement mishap most e planes are still armed even after they get in the pits. All it takes is one noob to just turn off his transmitter first and not pull the battery wires first in the pits and you have a full speed lawnmower looking for flesh to eat.Would you like to be sitting next to the noob ? joe

So make a rule that says; "Don't turn off your transmitter before unplugging your batts". Then you have the safety benifit of the starter stands for arming before flight and we have addressed your concerns post flight.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:03 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

A rule is just an opinion, backed by force ... ''Do this my way, or else.''

I don't believe that making threats is a good way to treat my fellow men.

I don't care for being threatened, so I guess that they don't, either.
Yes we know ,we just had the fourth of july celibrating our freedom from your country. lmao
Old 07-12-2013, 08:07 AM
joebahl

So make a rule that says; ''Don't turn off your transmitter before unplugging your batts''. Then you have the safety benifit of the starter stands for arming before flight and we have addressed your concerns post flight.
DID YOU READ THE WORD NOOB ? I rest my case !
Old 07-12-2013, 08:09 AM
TexasAirBoss

So make a rule that says; ''Don't turn off your transmitter before unplugging your batts''. Then you have the safety benifit of the starter stands for arming before flight and we have addressed your concerns post flight.

It sounds as if your argument is that the noob will not follow the rules. Then why have any rule if the noob isn't going to follow them ? Why would a noob follow one proposed rule, but not another ? Please explain the logic.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:16 AM
thatairplaneguy
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: Villa

After a few close calls with electric planes at our field we just added two new Rules at our Flying Field. Others may want to consider these.
•Electric aircraft must be taken to the flight line before connecting the batteries and the batteries disconnected before returning to the pit area.
•If work is going to be conducted on electric aircraft and the batteries must be connected, the prop must be removed before connecting the batteries.
When I'm at home setting up an electric plane, prior to connecting the battery to check out the servos, etc.' , I always REMOVE THE PROP. I did not want to do that at first, but then I realized that it was the safest thing to do. ALWAYS!!! Comments?
I'll have to say I agree with all of your rules 100%. I was working on a 60-sized electric plane IN MY LIVING ROOM, with the PROPELLOR ON THE PLANE, I accidentally nudged the throttle and the plane leaped off the table. I instinctively reached out to stop it and it bit my right hand. Blood went everywhere. I ended up paying $850 out of my own pocket to the emergency room and emergency room physician because of the high deductible on my health insurance.

I would also recommend use of a switch such as the MPI #6970 or #6972 to arm/disarm the batteries/motor/esc or a throttle enable/disable on the transmitter.

The rules listed above are a good start at keeping spinning razorblades we call propellors away from people, hands, fingers, appendages (yikes!). Electric flight is great - it's all I do - but you really have to focus on everything you do step-by-step. If you don't you're gonna get bit and it'll make a bloody mess.

Of course, there's an upside to getting mangled by a propeller..........you get immediate attention at an emergency room when you're bleeding on the emergency room floor. They're not gonna worry if you're really sick or just fakeing.

I know, I know. I was a dumb*****.

In reguards to your emergancy room comment I had a similar accident a couple years ago.
I was running up a nitro in the yard taching its top end. It had a brand new wooden prop. Suddenly the engine started to shake violently so I killed it and noticed blood everywhere. One whole blade had come off and sliced my hand good from wrist to tip of thumb. Deep too.
My wife drove me to the ER where they did the usuall. Take their time. Ask stupid questions even though they could see my blood soaked towl I had around my whole hand.
Then they came to the question of how I injured myself. I told them it was cut open by an airplane's propeller. Her eyes got big and she rang the big red button and three doctors came running LMAO
It only took 15min of excruciating pain to get to that question ...

Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 AM
joebahl

It sounds as if your argument is that the noob will not follow the rules. Then why have any rule if the noob isn't going to follow them ? Why would a noob follow one proposed rule, but not another ? Please explain the logic.
I can see that no matter what you believe that a person that has not been flying very long would not make such a mistake in the pitts . I can also see that you want to do what ever you want and the heck with rules because you are always right . Let me know what club you fly in so i dont ever fly there and i know the rest of your club mates enjoy flying around you while they hide under the picnic tables. joe
Old 07-12-2013, 08:21 AM
TexasAirBoss

I can see that no matter what you believe that a person that has not been flying very long would not make such a mistake in the pitts . I can also see that you want to do what ever you want and the heck with rules because you are always right . Let me know what club you fly in so i dont ever fly there and i know the rest of your club mates enjoy flying around you while they hide under the picnic tables. joe

Don't get deffensive. We were having a fair and calm debate. I simply asked a question. Why would your rule work for a noob, but my rule would not? Calm down, get something to drink, think about it and give me an answer.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:22 AM
WI53072

Seems like the same core group of RULZ guys arguing the finer points of rules. There should be a standard operating procedure (SOP) for each type of aircraft taken out to fly. The electric powered aircraft are becoming more and more common at our fields. It stands to reason there will be a number of injuries from un-safe practices until a set of SOP's are established and implemented as normal operating guide lines. Example, no one flies behind a flight line any longer....Right?

Everyone be careful!

Paul
Old 07-12-2013, 08:25 AM
joebahl

They made the rule for the WHOLE club and did not want to pick on any one person. I think its a good rule and would not want one of my grandkids to be around the pits with a plane that could hurt them or anyone else. You think about that . joe
Old 07-12-2013, 08:29 AM
TexasAirBoss

I rest my case
Old 07-12-2013, 08:39 AM
joebahl

I rest my case
And what case was that ,you either think is not cool to take your battery out or disconect it before you get to the pitts even tho you have to do it later anyways . Or you cant pull your plane into the pitts because its way to heavy for ya. What exactly are you realy complaining about if all the club members have to do the same thing ? Or you got nothing else to do today but would like to argue about safety at your club where i bet your not in office.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

But internet experts don't always have practical experience to go on.

It's snide little comments like this that destroy and derail any meaningful discussion on these forums . When I read such thinly veiled insults , that's when I decide this person is no longer worth the bother of responding to . Mr. texas airboss is obviously SUCH an expert himself that no one's opinion matters here that differs from his .

If he's not right , your just not seein it HIS way ....

Course , lets not forget the description of the word "Expert" .

Ex = a has been

Pert = a drip under pressure
Old 07-12-2013, 09:03 AM
thatairplaneguy
My Feedback: (50)

Hi my name is jake. I like airplanes

You two need to get over it.
This hobby is for FUN not nagging and rule making
We all need a small standard set of rules (common sense stuff) and that's it and all that is needed to stay safe
If someone never follows them, accidents or not, then they aren't allowed to fly anymore
Simple
Easy
No need to a rule for every little aspect of what COULD be a safety issiue IF some NOOB or FOOL were to do something stupid.
There is an enherit risk of danger in anything we do and we have to accept what is enough for ourselves or stay away from it.
You can't police every single activity or possibility "in the name of safety"

Fly and have Fun or DON'T!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:32 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: thatairplaneguy

Hi my name is jake. I like airplanes

You two need to get over it.
This hobby is for FUN not nagging and rule making
We all need a small standard set of rules (common sense stuff) and that's it and all that is needed to stay safe
If someone never follows them, accidents or not, then they aren't allowed to fly anymore
Simple
Easy
No need to a rule for every little aspect of what COULD be a safety issiue IF some NOOB or FOOL were to do something stupid.
There is an enherit risk of danger in anything we do and we have to accept what is enough for ourselves or stay away from it.
You can't police every single activity or possibility ''in the name of safety''

Fly and have Fun or DON'T!
Your telling me nothing i dont know already about safety in our every day lives , i been riding one of these for 30 years also. Initforfun i see your a smart guy and have the BOSS figured out the same as i did. He is the poster boy for private clubs. lmao joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26602.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1899828  
Old 07-12-2013, 11:15 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: karlik

If I'm an electric flyer and see those rules, I asume the club is not crazy about electric flyers.

Our local club has a heli rule - all heli pilots must get an ok from all plank fliers before flying. I'm not paying $100 a year to sit and watch the plank guys fly.

Rules are needed, but it's better to just kick out the idiots who repeatedly cause mishaps than punish everyone.
It's really hard (almost impossible) to Kick Out people. Years ago we instituted a 1 year probation period where in that year or at the first meeting from his joining is voted in or out by a simple majority of those that at that particular meeting. No one has ever gotten a no vote. This was established years ago because of one person that had been a member a caused some trouble by not joining one year but still flying as a guest of his friends that did remain in the club. My point is that when U have Officers of a club that refuse to stand up and be counted because this is supposed to be a fun hobby then how do U enforce the rules that are in effect. Our President says it's his job to do what the majority want, so he puts out question airs, I say he was elected to LEAD not do what the majority want when it is obviously not the right thing.
The point i make is that rules are hard to inforce when the powers that be (Dully Elected Officers) don't want to make waves.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

ORIGINAL: karlik

If I'm an electric flyer and see those rules, I asume the club is not crazy about electric flyers.

Our local club has a heli rule - all heli pilots must get an ok from all plank fliers before flying. I'm not paying $100 a year to sit and watch the plank guys fly.

Rules are needed, but it's better to just kick out the idiots who repeatedly cause mishaps than punish everyone.
It's really hard (almost impossible) to Kick Out people. Years ago we instituted a 1 year probation period where in that year or at the first meeting from his joining is voted in or out by a simple majority of those that at that particular meeting. No one has ever gotten a no vote. This was established years ago because of one person that had been a member a caused some trouble by not joining one year but still flying as a guest of his friends that did remain in the club. My point is that when U have Officers of a club that refuse to stand up and be counted because this is supposed to be a fun hobby then how do U enforce the rules that are in effect. Our President says it's his job to do what the majority want, so he puts out question airs, I say he was elected to LEAD not do what the majority want when it is obviously not the right thing.
The point i make is that rules are hard to inforce when the powers that be (Dully Elected Officers) don't want to make waves.
Plus 1 on that Hounddog joe
Old 07-12-2013, 02:14 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

A guy in my club suggested a new rule: all guys flying electric must have his own fire extinguisher in his car. Really?
Obviously it did not pass the vote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:00 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

A guy in my club suggested a new rule: all guys flying electric must have his own fire extinguisher in his car. Really?
Obviously it did not pass the vote
Rules are usually suggested, endorsed, or made by someone who did something stupid,
and thinks everyone else is just as stupid.

The only truly safe, idiot proof model aircraft is one that doesn't fly,
and for sure, someone could prove that wrong.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:30 PM
SunDevilPilot

Our Club has a "No arming in the Pitts" rule.
Never found it bothersome and seems like a good idea to me. I have some large electrics and a runaway plane in the pits could cause a lot of damage.
SunDevilPilot
Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If I am not mistaken all electrics had to have a fuse system and an on and off switch. What ever happened to that? A simple on off switch between the esc and receiver take care of this. Some scale models are only made to install and remove batteries at assembly. It would not be practical to try and do this on a flight line or edge of a runway.

Lets see I have an on off switch between the esc and receiver so no signal can activate the esc when the switch is off.

My receivers have a high voltage power port that allows direct battery connection to the receiver and its own separate on off switch. This allows me to power up the controls without activating the esc.

My transmitter has a throttle lock out especially for electrics. Even if all the switches are armed the throttle will not activate until I remove the throttle lock.

And now you tell me I have to treat my model differently than an internal combustion engine?

You need to address the mindset of the fellows flying electrics not just make some arbitrary rule that wouldn’t be needed if the electric flyers used a little common sense.

Just like insisting that gassers and jets have a fire extinguisher handy or gassers having a kill system in place any of the following would accomplish the same for electrics without all the drama of having the pilots install their batteries in a remote bunker.

Simple on off switch for the esc (some come with these and I have seen some just leave them on and tuck them inside the plane) this would make the esc inoperable until turned on.

A simple arming plug that when removed interrupts one lead from the batteries.

These were all common in the early days of electrics as safety devices to keep from accidentally starting the motor.

Dennis

Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 PM
jessiej

It seems to me that rules for a club should be established by majority vote of those paying dues and/or otherwise providing funding for a club. Those who disagree with the rule then have the option of leaving if they feel strongly about the issue. Non members really have no dog in the fight.

Jess
Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SunDevilPilot

Our Club has a "No arming in the Pitts" rule.
Never found it bothersome and seems like a good idea to me. I have some large electrics and a runaway plane in the pits could cause a lot of damage.
SunDevilPilot

SunDevil ... A couple of times we have witnessed a couple of close calls ... remember the Electric Heli that proceeded to Jump off the table and try to beat it's self to death under the sun shade when it was left armed after a flight ... U boys enjoying that fine fine desert heat? Say HI to all for me. See ya all in October I Hope.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:54 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

1.)  Seems to me that Villa's club instituted a rule based on a vote which obviously was a majority decision passed by the members.

2.)  If one wasn't a majority voting member if that agenda, doesn't that person have the right to take their aircraft and exit stage right? (and keep on exiting)

3.)  Like Grandma said,  "if you can't stand the heat, get your butt out of the kitchen"

4.)  Like Grandpa said,  "son you just can't fix stupid"

5.)  If you don't like the rules, take your toys and play in another sand box. 

Old 07-13-2013, 02:17 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely ... put it to a vote.

And if the "collective" votes that you should not have a gun ... well, then, you have an absolute duty to give 'em up. Or, you can go play in "another sandbox".

That's how it works. Isn't it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.