Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

Old 07-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Phoenex
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Maybe they are mixing them up, but my 5+ year old AX-40 came with the tilt-down. I just recently (3 months ago) bought the straight-out to fit in the new plane cowl.
Which type is going to work best with most of today's ARFs or does it just vary from airframe to airframe?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:30 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that has me confused, I don't remember seeing tilt down mufflers on the engines before. Just the straight ones.

phoenex,  yeah it tends to depend on the plane design. Some planes work better with a tilt up muffler, some with straight mufflers and some with tilt down mufflers. One thing is how much of the sides of the plane need to be cut to accomodate the muffler or not. Some planes with high cheeks on the side tend to work better with tilt up mufflers so you don't have to cut as much off the top of the cheek side. Anyway it always seems that you have the wrong muffler for whatever plane you are trying to mount the engine on.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:44 AM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the straight out for cowl cheeks, but if you are doing a 90 degree mount and fully cowled, it depends on the cowl.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: hllywdb

I like the straight out for cowl cheeks, but if you are doing a 90 degree mount and fully cowled, it depends on the cowl.
Yes, it depends on the cowling. The tilt-down was ok for the 2 previous applications until I got to this last build. That is where I needed a straight-out muffler, otherwise it would have caused a major tearup on the cowl. So, now I have both versions. Both versions are identical except the mounting plate angles. Both perform and sound the same.

It's funny but most of my engines have at least 2 different mufflers each. One of my engines has 4 different mufflers, another has 3 mufflers. I will probably end up in that TV show "Hoarders" and somebody will come over and try to throw away all my mufflers.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:40 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, it depends on the cowling. The tilt-down was ok for the 2 previous applications until I got to this last build. That is where I needed a straight-out muffler, otherwise it would have caused a major tearup on the cowl. So, now I have both versions. Both versions are identical except the mounting plate angles. Both perform and sound the same.

It's funny but most of my engines have at least 2 different mufflers each. One of my engines has 4 different mufflers, another has 3 mufflers. I will probably end up in that TV show "Hoarders" and somebody will come over and try to throw away all my mufflers.
I am heading forDearborn, MI, and I am warming up my pitching arm.

Ken

Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Phoenex
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: flyingagin

I am heading forDearborn, MI, and I am warming up my pitching arm.

Ken

Never disturb a man's parts bin until he's out of the hobby!

Old 07-09-2013, 05:38 PM
psgugrad
My Feedback: (2)

Hi psgugrad,
I belive the muffler issue was limited to a handfull of early units and has been corrected awhile ago. In any event, yes, start mixing the fuel now as they ship pretty quick

I'm not sure what the deal is...before I ordered I e-mailed nv the pic earlier in this thread showing the poor screw head-muffler interface and their response was that the issue was "purely cosmetic", which I didn't buy for a second, but they said that if I had issue to just specify tilt down muffler when ordering, which I did.

Truth be told, if the straight muffler didn't have that issue then I would have preferred the straight muffler, but the plane I'm putting it in has no cowl so it's not critical either way. I'm sure it's no big deal, but I was a bit cold to the idea of buying a new engine and the first thing I have to do is break out the Dremel!.

PS: I ordered some Benol today with my Tower order, which will probably be here tomorrow. I also have some Sig castor. NV said I could use any castor, as long as it was REAL and not synthetic. Any thoughts on Sig castor vs Benol? I only got a pint from tower as pints are all they had. That will make close to a gallon of fuel, which will likely last for a while if the engine is as efficient as claimed. However, the Sig castor is about a third the price of Benol and I have some sitting around anyway and just wondered if I could use it or if Sig castor burns dirtier, gets gummier, does not mix as well with gasoline, etc.... Anybody have experience with Sig castor in gasoline? Thanks!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 PM
earlwb

Well, I suppose they misread or misunderstood your question. But the only way to find out is when you get the engine and can check out the muffler and see.

Klotz Benol is supposed to have some other ingredient in the castor oil that aids it in mixing with gasoline. Sig Castor would work fine too, but I don't know how well it mixes with gasoline as I never tried it. The method is to mix up a quantity of gas and oil, and shake up the container good, then let it it for a few days to ensure it mixes good. Maybe give it a shake every now and then too.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 PM
the pope

I'm not sure what the deal is...before I ordered I e-mailed nv the pic earlier in this thread showing the poor screw head-muffler interface and their response was that the issue was "purely cosmetic", which I didn't buy for a second, but they said that if I had issue to just specify tilt down muffler when ordering, which I did.
Yeh that's a load of baloney !! The bolt head will distort if enough force is applied and how can that be cosmetic . It may still hold up but its still a issue ! But don't let this hold u back from getting the engine as it really is only a 2 minute job with the dremel .Cheers the pope
Old 07-10-2013, 05:02 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: the pope

I'm not sure what the deal is...before I ordered I e-mailed nv the pic earlier in this thread showing the poor screw head-muffler interface and their response was that the issue was ''purely cosmetic'', which I didn't buy for a second, but they said that if I had issue to just specify tilt down muffler when ordering, which I did.
Yeh that's a load of baloney !! The bolt head will distort if enough force is applied and how can that be cosmetic . It may still hold up but its still a issue ! But don't let this hold u back from getting the engine as it really is only a 2 minute job with the dremel .Cheers the pope
I am not sure that is what happened to my engine, but I had it for 5 years, and then when I ordered the straight muffler, suddenly the muffler bolt threads in the crankcase stripped. I was not observant enough to see if the muffler bolt face was slanted. Next time I get under that cowl, I will check it. That is, if the I get to it before the "Hoarders" show doesn't get to it first!!![X(]
Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 AM
hllywdb

The Sig castor will need to sit for a week before use. The Benol mixes better with gasoline so it takes less time. From my observations over the last year, it also STAYS in suspension better, so that's not just an idle claim on Benol's part. I also find it is a bit easier to clean up and takes longer to build up carbon. Maybe the addatives help it burn cleaner, I don't know. But after a year I have far less varnish on the outside of the engine as my nitro motors get.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:41 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Interesting. I didn't realize there was a problem getting castor oil to mix with gasoline in the first place. The old WWI rotary engines used castor oil (total loss system), but they probably use a separate oil tank rather than mix it with the gasoline.

Iskandar
Old 07-10-2013, 09:22 AM
hllywdb

Castor will mix easily with gas up to about 6 to 6 1/2%. After that it takes time for the gas to get the castor into suspension. Most 2 cycle VRO or oil injection systems opperate well below 4%, so it is easy to mix right at the pump before it enters the carb. For our purpose, we need to let it set a bit.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:12 PM
the pope

I'm not sure what the deal is...before I ordered I e-mailed nv the pic earlier in this thread showing the poor screw head-muffler interface and their response was that the issue was ''purely cosmetic'', which I didn't buy for a second, but they said that if I had issue to just specify tilt down muffler when ordering, which I did.
I am not sure that is what happened to my engine, but I had it for 5 years, and then when I ordered the straight muffler, suddenly the muffler bolt threads in the crankcase stripped. I was not observant enough to see if the muffler bolt face was slanted. Next time I get under that cowl, I will check it. That is, if the I get to it before the ''Hoarders'' show doesn't get to it first!!![X(]
Hey there Husky don't let the hoarders show scare you . I have about 15 engines in my bedside cupboard and quite a few elsewhere in the house . I think it must be a coincidence that when I go to sleep I face the engines and not the misses . At least the engine don't fart , dribble and snore all night but do I have a problem H#ll no . We just had a little too and fro yesterday about some planes I have in the spare bed room . I think she would like to turn it into some sort of prissy guest bedroom . I said u whinged when I had planes in our room now there in the spare room your still whinging . She replied yeh but we still have planes in our bedroom and the laundry as well . I guess shes got a point but she cant have everything . Keep up the good work !!!!!!! Cheers the pope
Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 PM
hsukaria

I am not sure that is what happened to my engine, but I had it for 5 years, and then when I ordered the straight muffler, suddenly the muffler bolt threads in the crankcase stripped. I was not observant enough to see if the muffler bolt face was slanted. Next time I get under that cowl, I will check it. That is, if the I get to it before the ''Hoarders'' show doesn't get to it first!!![X(]
Hey there Husky don't let the hoarders show scare you . I have about 15 engines in my bedside cupboard and quite a few elsewhere in the house . I think it must be a coincidence that when I go to sleep I face the engines and not the misses . At least the engine don't fart , dribble and snore all night but do I have a problem H#ll no . We just had a little too and fro yesterday about some planes I have in the spare bed room . I think she would like to turn it into some sort of prissy guest bedroom . I said u whinged when I had planes in our room now there in the spare room your still whinging . She replied yeh but we still have planes in our bedroom and the laundry as well . I guess shes got a point but she cant have everything . Keep up the good work !!!!!!! Cheers the pope
Fortunately, we have a basement and all the plane stuff stays there. The laundry takes the other part of the basement and I often do the laundry while working on my planes. That way, the wife doesn't have the need to go to the basement and see the planes.[8D]
Old 07-13-2013, 07:16 AM
toolmaker7341

Castor will mix easily with gas up to about 6 to 6 1/2%. After that it takes time for the gas to get the castor into suspension. Most 2 cycle VRO or oil injection systems opperate well below 4%, so it is easy to mix right at the pump before it enters the carb. For our purpose, we need to let it set a bit.

Is this a scientific fact or your opinion. My gas looks the same as it did 30 seconds after I mixed it 2 days later (Benol). If it wasn't in suspension I would think there would be a noticeable difference with the 2 different viscosity liquids.I also mixed in a 90 deg. garage. If it was 40 deg. I could understand. Doesn't the Benol come out of suspension when in the engine to lubracate it? I'm not trying to be nasty I just want to know.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:53 AM
hllywdb

This is directly from the Klotz spec sheet. Instant mix is good up to about 7%. Any more needs to sit a few days. Regular castor needs to absorb longer without the addatives.
Yes, you are correct, temperature will make it drop out of suspension at 40 degrees. Just mix it up a bit. I believe that the ethanol in todays gas acually helps the castor absorb, IMO, as castor easily mixes with ethanol.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:45 PM
toolmaker7341

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to do the unmanly thing and read the directions
Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 AM
earlwb

I haven't seen any instructions from Klotz on letting the Benol sit for a while to mix better. But it is a good idea to let the oil and fuel mixture sit for a while to allow it time mix better. we have too many different kinds of gasoline blends and the different blends may react differently with the Benol.

reference: http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.a...2&submit2=View

Instructions:

DIRECTIONS: 2-Stroke pre-mix Do not use in oil injection systems.

Compatibility:Blends with gasoline, E-85, methanol alcohol and stays in suspension above 35°F. Will not blend with petroleum oils or some synthetic lubricants; will blend with Klotz Original TechniPlate® and Super TechniPlate®.

Fuel Stability:Will dissolve in gasoline at ratios of 15:1 or greater alcohol at ratios up to 5:1

MX and Dirt Track:Water-cooled engines 60-125cc mix at 32:1 200+cc mix at 40:1 Air-cooled engines mix at 20:1 to 32:1

ATV:Water-cooled mix at 32:1-50:1 Air-cooled engines mix at 20:1-32:1
Kart:Air-cooled mix at 16:1 to 20:1
Shifter
Kart:Liquid-cooled mix at 32:1

PWC:Full mod mix at 40:1
R/C Model:2-Stroke glow engines mix at 15-18% 4-Stroke glow engines at 5-10%

Old 07-14-2013, 09:22 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

They didn't mention the Fox Stunt..

Iskandar
Old 07-15-2013, 01:44 AM
schulze rocks

Hi The Pope,
What brand and octane rating fuel are you using in your motor? Sorry, should have started off with "Hello from another fellow South Australian".

Cheers BJ
Old 07-15-2013, 01:57 AM
the pope

ORIGINAL: schulze rocks

Hi The Pope,
What brand and octane rating fuel are you using in your motor? Sorry, should have started off with ''Hello from another fellow South Australian''.

Cheers BJ
Hi there the rock I might tell u as long as you're not a port supporter !!!!!!!!! Ill just have to go and have a look in the shed as its all written down as I have a memory like a sieve . Hang on .
Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 AM
schulze rocks

Hi The Pope,
No problem about being a Port supporter, I don't follow any of them.

Cheers BJ
Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 AM
the pope

OK the pope is back from the shed . The pope has written down that its premium unleaded from the ampol servo , not sure what the actual octane rating is but if u like I can check it out tomorrow .It seems that different servos have different ratings unless I'm mistaken which is a distinct possibility . Have you got one of these engines yet ? Reminds me if the weather is ok Ill have to have another go at firing mine up again tomorrow . Cheers the pope
Old 07-15-2013, 03:18 AM
schulze rocks

Thanks for that. Yes, I do have one but the head gasket was torn on mine from day one (not so good). I had been using Shell V Power 98 but I could only get around 10500 rpm on an 11x6 APC. I had made a new gasket out of the thin aluminium seal that you find in a coffee can, might still have been too thick. I have a genuine gasket now and will try that on the weekend if the weather is OK. On a side note, I bought a new piston and liner set just to have as a spare which also comes with the conrod and wrist pin. Three head gaskets, one base gasket, the cylinder kit plus shipping all for $66.00 AU. The last time I bought a piston and liner for an OS46 it cost me $135.00 plus shipping. I like this motor.

Cheers BJ

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.