Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Black Horse Pitts

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Black Horse Pitts

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM
trs3243

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Black Horse Pitts

mounted moth wings today, top reads 2+ 1/34 + left & rt. lower 21/4+ & 2.0+. i checked the cg at 4.50 from leading edge on top wing. i made some changes to fuel tank. auw 10 lbs minus 2 oz on my old scales.give me a call i would like to talk to you about this plane my typing is real slow. Terry Sechrest 770 380 6673 i am retired call any time of day. thanks
Old 03-27-2013, 07:09 PM
trs3243

Thanks for calling. i worked on the wings this evening. I enden up with top wing 2.50 both sides. lower wing 2.25 both sides. every thing is locked down at this reading. Terry
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 PM
RCSYNDROME

Hi all. What servo's do you guys suggest for this pitts?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 PM
RCSYNDROME

Would the hitec HS-425BB be right for the aileron servos on the pitts?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 AM
dgliderguy

I used DS821's on mine, for ailerons, and used HS645MG's for rudder and elevators.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:00 PM
trs3243

I have Futaba 33305 mg servos. i had these in my parts inv. may be over kill.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:30 PM
dgliderguy

ORIGINAL: RCSYNDROME

Would the hitec HS-425BB be right for the aileron servos on the pitts?
I think the HS425BB servos would be plenty good for your ailerons, especially since there is a servo for each of the four ailerons. You should not need more than a standard servo to move those small surfaces at the speeds the Pitts flies.

I had fun with mine again today (until the clunk came off and I had to deadstick. Now I get to pull the tank and add a barb and safety wire! Lesson learned.)

Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Bigblock1031

Finally got mine out for its maiden yesterday! After some ground tests I was quite shocked how little rudder mine needs for a straight take off. Just a slight left pull after the wheels lift but after that it was on a rope! Only about two clicks of elevator and aileron trim and it was a dream to fly. The DLE30 is a beast on this plane but it gets the CG almost perfect with only 1/4oz. of weight in the tail. I can pretty much cruise around at a decent speed with only 1/4 throttle. Right now the CG is even with the lower wing LE and Im perfectly happy with it right where it is. Didn't try any inverted after noticing a fuel leak during a low and slow pass but Im curious to see how much down will be needed for level flight. From what I read here its very little. Surprisingly good glide and float characteristics with no bad tendencies to ground loop on landing either which was a joy. Overall I couldn't be happier with this plane. Hopefully a video soon to come.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Bigblock1031

If you look up some pics of a real pitts most all of them have a bulge in the cowl towards the top on both sides. I imagine this is for the purpose of airflow exits for cooling the motor. I noticed the same thing on my pitts when I mounted the cowl, that it was way bigger around that the fuse. But if you line up the stripes on the side youll notice by doing that it will natually make it bulge out at the top on both sides similar to a real pitts. At least this is my theory, and how I mounted mine in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65829.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1878124  
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 PM
sj3cub
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Bigblock1031

If you look up some pics of a real pitts most all of them have a bulge in the cowl towards the top on both sides. I imagine this is for the purpose of airflow exits for cooling the motor. I noticed the same thing on my pitts when I mounted the cowl, that it was way bigger around that the fuse. But if you line up the stripes on the side youll notice by doing that it will natually make it bulge out at the top on both sides similar to a real pitts. At least this is my theory, and how I mounted mine in this pic.

Looks good! It is indeed scale, and you mounted it correctly. Nice job.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:21 AM
RCSYNDROME

Hi guys. I changed my mind on what engine to use on my pitts. I am not going to use the dle 20,i opted to use the dle 30 [:@]. Don't know when i will start the build. Tied up at work. 3 planes to build. Great planes yak 54 going to use dle 55. Hangar 9 Taylorcraft 20cc going to use saito 180 single.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:08 PM
WI53072

Wow RC

take some pics of the tcraft build!
Old 07-14-2013, 01:15 AM
JariV

I agree with BigBlock about the bulges having correlation to stripes. I did mine the same way too to aid exiting hot airflow. I also took a close look at my friends real 1:1 Pitts Special S1 to be sure. I also built exit airflow area to the lowest and rearmost section of the cowl. My 4 pcs exhaust headers come out the engine bay at the same place. The only intake air areas are the original 3 cowl openings, the 2 for cooling and 1 for the engine internal air. That 4-cyl OS has been very happy with the setup.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:24 PM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just about 3/4 finished on my Pitts. I owned and competed in a S-1S years ago so I am trying to scale it after that airplane.

Going with a Zenoah G-26...all new Futaba servos, everything new....new....new.

Replaced the tailwheel with a scale "Henry Haigh" tailwheel.....reworked the wheelpants as the factory install was a real joke!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:41 AM
Bigblock1031

Sounds good. I agree with their tailwheel attachments being a joke. I used two wheel pants fasteners from Sig. One on the inside and one on the outside of the wheel pants. Holds it with two set screws. So far haven't had any issues with attaching them this way. This particular plane can sometimes be a little tippy and bounce when landing and I've never had a wheel that even slightly came loose. I'm curious to see what kind of tailwheel you're using. I ended up using a carbon fiber tailwheel from aero-works with the two springs that attach to the rudder. The only problem I've had so far is the cheapo wraparound pitts style muffler I got from Milehigh RC. In order to get the exhaust to exit the cowl without cutting any of it off you have to cut a wedge out of the two down pipes then bend them back and try to weld them. But since it's cheap replica of a Jtec it's not actually made of aluminum and feels more like pot metal so you can't weld it. So I ended up putting JB Weld on the joint. But eventually it cracked and both ends snapped off.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:18 AM
Bigblock1031

Correction I meant thier wheel pant attachments are a joke.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:59 AM
CaptRKO

--Ha! I know what you mean......trying to come up with a solution on the Wheel pants. I used epoxy and cut some light plywood so the screws can hold on to something. I wish I knew about the ones from SIG. My tailwheel was a "scale reproduction" of the Henry Haigh tailwheel that was a locking one on the full size Pitts.

Ordered some better decals especially the "Pitts Special" factory decal the one in the kit is a joke. I wish the canopy was not glued on as I would change out the pilot....the plane sitting next to my 1/3 Eagle looks about right for a 1/4 Pitts.....actually I think the wingspan on this plane is a little longer than scale.

Looks like my Zenoah G-26 will mount directly to the firewall and I will have exactly the 140mm called for in the "instruction booklet" I will more than likely replace the spinner. I am hopeful that my CG willl come out dead on. I will balance the plane at the leading edge of the bottom wing (like the full scale)

I wish I could find some BYRON Pitts decals.....I see a vendor wants $300 for a set. (that is unrealistic as the plane only cost me $250)

I think overall this is a nice kit. I changed a lot of stuff to suit my needs.....the hardware was ok....could it be better? sure! My next one will be an R/C guys....I do have a Great Planes 1/3 S-2S in the box but not really motivated to build it just yet...always liked the S-1.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:03 AM
CaptRKO

The Zenoah will weigh about 56 oz

I see the DLE-20 is around 30 oz

How do you think my CG will end up...? Nose Heavy? Tail Heavy?
Old 05-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Bigblock1031

I put a DLE 30 in mine but had to order shorter stand offs to get the correct spacing. So in turn I had to cut a huge hole in the firewall in order for the carb to go through. So I glassed the entire motor box for added strength. With the DLE 30 I was slightly nose heavy and needed I think just 1.5oz in the tail. So your Zenoah will probably be nose heavy as well. I also balanced at the leading edge of the lower wing. If flys nicely there however it will require a fair amount of down elevator when inverted. Not. I might add another ounce or so to the tail. Lands a little hot but not too bad. Where did you order your tailwheel? If it looks more scale I'll change mine. I used a polished aluminum nose come from Mile High RC. I liked the size of the Great Planes Pitts but I couldn't find one anywhere. Plus I actually think some of the features on the Black Horse version were a little nicer. The tubular cabane struts as opposed to Great Planes stamped struts, the horizontal stabilizer being an actual airfoil and not just flat balsa. But then there are other features I'm not so crazy about (wheel pants and crappy tailwheel) But I guess the brand that wins is the one in stock lol.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:19 PM
CaptRKO

My tailwheel is an Ohio Superstar tailwheel. Got my pants mounted by getting some brackets and with some engineering and machine work (drilling etc....tapping) I got them to work.

Need to mount the Engine and fuel tank and I am finished.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:39 PM
CaptRKO

Did anyone use the tank that came with the kit on a Gasser? I know I need to change out the tubing but the tank and stopper appear to be gas worthy????
Old 05-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Bigblock1031

I used it
Old 05-17-2014, 05:05 PM
CaptRKO

Got the Zenoah installed today.......perfect spacing using the factory mount (no standoffs) Beefed up the firewall and coated it with epoxy, started to mod the cowl.....just need to sand a little more off to get the muffler to fit. All I have left to do is install the throttle cable and I am done. Wanted to do a quick weight and balance but the wife needs some attention and she is colombian so I do not argue :}

This will be my 5th Pitts. Started with a .60 size Midwest Pitts in the mid 80's....she is hanging in my shop flew the crap out of her. Hope this one can live up to its name!
Old 05-18-2014, 06:26 PM
CaptRKO

.........she is all built.

Looks like my CG is DEAD on.....no weight needed in tail or nose. the Zenoah worked ok. I am using the bottom of the leading edge for my cg. This plane sure has a zillion screws and nuts so I hope to keep her assembled as she can easily fit into my airplane truck.

My change out some of the hardware I am not a fan of phillips head screws!
Old 05-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Bigblock1031

Awesome. Can't wait for your flight report!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.